| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
Good Bye, DrChip!
anyone else?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Foust

Score: 4136

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiDAD wrote:
I will see if David wants to run at AMP. HOWEVER I have heard there are some blind spots and I am concerned about safety. Does anyone have an thoughts or experience with this at AMP?

I would also love to get a group together and go to Mooresville sometime!

It's definitely a safe track, IMO, but there are some blind hills. I'd be willing to bet that David would love running there. It's a VERY fast track... And smooth too...
Daniel White

Score: 6291

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiDAD wrote:
I will see if David wants to run at AMP. HOWEVER I have heard there are some blind spots and I am concerned about safety. Does anyone have an thoughts or experience with this at AMP?

I was certainly unsettled during my first couple of sessions, particularly the off-camber right hander before the final turn, taken flat. But I got used to it and now it's not a problem. There are two steep downhills, both entered blind, that unload the rear--these turns need some getting used to as well, but aren't really a problem once you get used to it.

It's a fun track, and there are two straights where you can actually relax for a moment--the front straight, and the straight after the downhill chicane.
John Wehrheim

Score: 33906

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safe is relative. From my experience having been at a ton of tracks throughout my sons 19 years of racing, I would put it at a rating of a C- grade as a way of safe. Before their improvements I would have given it an F. The biggest improvement made was they added pavement to the outside/exit of several corners. Before the additional pavement you could easily drop a wheel and go spinning either across the track or into the tire wall.

With the improvements, I will now race there in Yamaha or 4 Cycle.

As Daniel pointed out, you need to get comfortable with the blind corners and hills. Once you do, you should be fine. To be honest, my concern was not my driving, it was the others that you had to worry about that were new or driving too aggressively.

My only other recommendation is ensure your brakes are in excellent order and all wheels are tight and secure. In addition, don't drive over your head.

I will admit, it is a fun track, but sketchy and a dumb design.
Darrin Tebbe
Information Technology

Score: 28909

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wehrheim wrote:

I will admit, it is a fun track, but sketchy and a dumb design.

It's right out of Mario Kart, that's for sure. I agree it's not the safest, and it I hate not being able to see the track to know what the kart is doing. But Connor says it's fun to race on. My biggest complaint is the (lack of) pit area, and having to hike up/down the hill to/from the scales and grid area. The whole thing seems like a half-baked afterthought. Fine for members to ride and play, but I don't see it ever being a successful venue for real racing events.

DT
Michael-Brown

Score: 1466

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is Mooresville?
Xracing36

Score: 1876

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brownbagr wrote:
where is Mooresville?

He's referring to GoPro Motorplex, formerly Mooresville Motorplex, in Mooresville, NC. Beautiful track, fairly flat in terms of elevation, and an overall great facility in terms of the team stationed there as their on-site shop, KartSport North America, and the track staff as well. It hosted a United States Pro Kart Series Event earlier this year, and is set to host the Rotax Pan-American Challenge in September.

The downside to the track's local series is that the only 4-strokes they have there are LO206 classes - no Pro Gas, and no Clone. They also mandate sit-up seats, and I think this year they are allowing 4-stroke, non-CIK bodywork, not sure on that though.

They also run the Yamaha classes, a full Rotax structure, and a Tag Jr and Tag Sr. Since KartSport is their on-site shop, you could go there a day early to test and rent an LO206 from them for the weekend, or any other engine if you want. I know they have to keep full stock of just about whatever the local series throws at them.
Edward Bush

Score: 522

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spencer Bush ran his first ever race (4 cycle sportsman) at AMP. There are some blind turns due to the elevation changes but even with what little experience he had, he had no trouble negotiating the track. Its not so much the blind turns, its coming up over the top of a crest that can be intimidating. There is always enough time to prepare for the upcoming turn. If you're running a shifter, this turn will come up MUCH more quickly, but if you are running a shifter you probably have enough experience to handle it. I likewise ran the track (4 cycle) and had no problem. You learn the track very quick and it is an awesome!!! track. We will be there if Spencer is the only 4 cycle sportsman there..., he loves the track!
fishboy3179

Score: 168

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will drive at AMP , i wont be doing circles in dirt that weekend, if there is a gracious kart owner out there that might be interested in a driver.
Xracing36

Score: 1876

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishboy3179 wrote:
i will drive at AMP , i wont be doing circles in dirt that weekend, if there is a gracious kart owner out there that might be interested in a driver.

AMP has a "pro concession" class where you can run the raceday in a class with their rental karts, treated as a normal class on their local series racedays. You could do that if you wanted.
fishboy3179

Score: 168

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i may try that , i have already run those karts , a little slow for me but racing is racing.thanks for the info
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: