| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #8 Registration
2014-07-26 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
understanding sprint karts.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishboy3179

Score: 168

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: understanding sprint karts. Reply with quote

i am an avid oval racer but am wanting to learn more about left right racing because my son and i are interested in trying it out.so i have many questions. why is it that some straight rail karts have the driver centered such as a margay and then you have the roberts karts that the driver sits to the left but yet it is a straight rail? why do some utilize front brakes and others do not? also why do some karters use the cik body and others a full body, and what about the seat styles, the sit up style versus the lay back style .i have many more questions but i just want to get the thread started and will appreciate all the wisdom that is offered. it just seems like in oval we use all the same types of equipment but in left right there are several types of equipment for one type of racing?
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33468

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: understanding sprint karts. Reply with quote

I hope this helps, Feel free to ask more.
1. why is it that some straight rail karts have the driver centered such as a margay and then you have the roberts karts that the driver sits to the left but yet it is a straight rail? - They will shift the seat over the balance the kart's weight distribution.
2. why do some utilize front brakes and others do not? - Certain classes - primarily the high HP classes allow front brakes to help slow down the kart. The primary class that you will see front brakes is the Shifter class.
3. also why do some karters use the cik body and others a full body - all 2 cycle classes use CIK body work, per the rules. Recently, the karting associations have allowed the 4 cycle classes the use of CIK body work. No real reason, but many like the styling better with CIK.
4. what about the seat styles, the sit up style versus the lay back style - the laydown seat is used to lower the center of gravity and reduce side bite. 2 Cycle classes do not allow laydown seats
fishboy3179

Score: 168

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks alot ! thank you! i plan to come to barnesville and take a look around at the july race, will you be there? considering all things fun and affordable what classes would you recommend for a 12 year old 95lb kid with some dirt oval experience and me a 200 lb guy with 12 years oval dirt and asphalt experience?
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33468

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I will be there. Ask anyone, most know who I am. For your 12 yr old son, I would recommend 4 Cycle Jr You could also consider Yamaha Jr (2 cycle). For you, you could either run Clone Sr. Sportsman or 4 Cycle Sr or Yamaha Sr (2 cycle) Yamaha Sr. will be considerably faster.
edward 54

Score: 2097

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Understanding sprint karts Reply with quote

Couldn't have said it better my self. Another LTO driver comes to asphalt I think you will love going right and left it's great . Lol and you don't have to treat tires after each run much cleaner too.

Edward 54 razor/arrow/Swiss hutless Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AtlantaKarting.com

Score: 360

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are showing interest in 2 cycle racing, please feel free to contact us, we are a source for information and equipment.

Rick
AtlantaKarting.com
rick@atlantakarting.com
Darrin Tebbe
Out to pasture

Score: 28118

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I prefer the CIK bodywork because it's much easier to work on the kart (especially the front end).

At big tracks (like Jacksonville) the 4 cycle type nose might be faster Wink

DT
Robbie Ullah

Score: 2610

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Kart setup secret.......Hire a tuner.
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29001

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbie Ullah wrote:
Best Kart setup secret.......Hire a tuner.

... and you will keep hiring forever.

I was always for learning yourself. There are so many variables, your tuner will not be able to keep up. Learn from them and others, willing to share (most of people we raced with).
Robbie Ullah

Score: 2610

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ihor, You are spot on. I have learned more this year working with experienced racers than I did in the last 4. Focusing on kart set up rather than chasing gears and HP has rewarded with substantial gains.

PS... thanks for the title. lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: