| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
Good Bye, DrChip!
Racing at AMP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel White

Score: 6302

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Racing at AMP Reply with quote

I hope this is not a banned topic. I guess I will find out . . .

Just wanted to provide a bit of insight after racing there this past weekend. Other than a problem-filled day at the Bakers Creek track in Decatur, AL, in 2009), I have never raced anywhere else except Barnesville.

Was at AMP with Lon Washburn, John Wehrheim, Tyler Austin, and Brian Spek. Justin Austin was there racing his 4-cycle kart (though he was in a class by himself).

The track is extremely fast (in Yamaha, 53 mph laps vs 38 at B'ville), with several blind corners. It took me a while to get the nerve to take the last right-hander flat, as it should be taken. I did not feel comfortable at all until the last race. Frankly, I was un-enthused about racing, and only got comfortable during the last race. At least for me, at the moment it is harder to pass there than at Barnesville. I didn't pass a single kart all day.

By the end I was having a good time and my fear of dying diminished. John may disagree but, to me, it is more of a drivers track than a handling track, so if you are like me and are weak on setting up a kart, this may be a good track for you. By contrast, B'ville is a handling track IMO.

It costs more to drive there ($77 vs 45-ish at B'ville) and you only get two practice sessions (I missed the first one), but the races are longer. The prefinal is 10 laps (8-9 minutes), while the feature is 15 laps (13-14 minutes). I only put about 40-42 laps on my kart, but with laps in the 57-60 second range, I was in my kart as much as I can stand.

If I remember correctly, Justin said he was turning laps in the 1:04 range, so the 4-cycle karts are pretty quick around the place as well.

Parking is tight but right next to the track. Loved that aspect.

Watching other races is difficult. Because of the elevation, sight lines are poor. You have to walk up a hill if you want to watch a race.

They have a pre-race tech sheet. Better have your kart ready.

They sell fuel at the track. Nice. They also sell parts, and Jeremy Porter claims that the prices are reasonable, that they do not gouge customers.

The Yamaha heat and feature was 2nd on the schedule and I was done racing before 3:00. Loved that.
Jeff Foust

Score: 4176

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If I remember correctly, Justin said he was turning laps in the 1:04 range, so the 4-cycle karts are pretty quick around the place as well. "

My son Daniel was running 1:06ish by the end of the race day that we went to in February, and he was running Clone JR1/Junior Sportsman so 1:04 on Senior sounds about right.

That big hill coming up toward the track exit will really put a hurting on the clones...
John Wehrheim

Score: 34019

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Racing at AMP Reply with quote

Daniel White wrote:
John may disagree but, to me, it is more of a drivers track than a handling track, so if you are like me and are weak on setting up a kart, this may be a good track for you. By contrast, B'ville is a handling track IMO.

Good summary. I think it suits the drivers who are willing to take the extra risks, especially with the high HP karts. Little runoff. AMP is a HP track with two long straights. No matter where you race, you need a very good handling kart. FYI, I found a second with tuning the chassis and carb.
GSKA Info
Official Communications

Score: 2901

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Racing at AMP Reply with quote

Daniel White wrote:
I hope this is not a banned topic. I guess I will find out . . .

There is no problem talking about racing at AMP or any other facility.

The main thing not allowed on the GSKA Forum is promoting events at other tracks if they have conflicting dates with GSKA events.

Oh, and anything that might otherwise belong on the Jerry Springer show - will likely get removed :)
edward 54

Score: 2271

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Racing at AMP Reply with quote

Wish I could have made AMP great job Justin I looked back on my Mychron tach I ran about the same times 1:04s and a couple of 1:05s.

I had to get used to the track it has a lot of off camber/blind corners and long straights a real high speed track. Hope to get back up there soon.

Edward 54 razor/arrow

P.S. we need more clones to race at this track.
Darrin Tebbe
Information Technology

Score: 29028

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connor's 1st time at AMP we threw a Rotax Jr. on our Razor and let it rip. We ran a 54.5 and the leaders were running 53.3.

This was back when there was still a "jump" if you tried to straightline the chicane at the bottom of the back-straight hill:

Took a while to gather the 'stones to go flat around that right hander Smile
AtlantaKarting.com

Score: 491

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Racing at AMP Reply with quote

Daniel White wrote:

They sell fuel at the track. Nice. They also sell parts, and Jeremy Porter claims that the prices are reasonable, that they do not gouge customers.

I definitely am not making this a negative comment, merely a factual one...when I owned the track (1990-2006) I was chastised for having the foresight to offer parts and fuel AT THE TRACK, as a convenience to the karter and was even accused of a conflict of interest to do so, now most every track in the country is doing what I did way back then......times do change. Of course most of these tracks have to do this because they do whatever they can to discourage kart shops from participating in their program, thankfully the current GSKA management has not continued this program.

I will respectfully disagree Daniel, I don't believe AMP is a driver's track, make a kart stick, and make HP.

JMHO.
Doug Austin

Score: 6097

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally liked a pump around ! That kept everyone legal in that class. Thank You.
Darrin Tebbe
Information Technology

Score: 29028

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Austin wrote:
I personally liked a pump around ! That kept everyone legal in that class. Thank You.

He he.. the pump around was great until some genius went to the grid with a tank full of water... Shocked
Doug Austin

Score: 6097

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have missed that race..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: