| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #8 Registration
2014-07-26 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
PERMANENT NIGHT LIGHTS FOR THE TRACK...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 46206

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: PERMANENT NIGHT LIGHTS FOR THE TRACK... Reply with quote

I believe we have proven the value of night lighting for the track. It is cooler for all participating and it draws more racers and spectators.

This was proved as well back in the day in 1988 when I first raced under the lights at Bville.

I am pushing to get track lighting done as fast as possible. We need to complete the design, get wiring purchases and buried, purchase and mount lights, set the poles and get power to it all, and to the tower while we are at it...

We will need volunteers, and MONEY. Sponsorships will be available for cash up,to and including the sponsoring of a complete lighting pole!

Let's hear ideas,volunteers and money contributions pledges and payments!

Let's get er done! c
Chris Gambino

Score: 223

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Lights - Crowdfunding Reply with quote

Is anyone is familiar with the crowdfunding sites like Indegogo or Gofundme? They are very effective for fundraisers. It allows you to easily reach a broader audience quickly. I have seen them used for all manner of projects and am always amazed by how quickly people can raise money. I would imagine with as big as the Go Kart community is this would be a perfect platform as we would be able to reach beyond GSKA members.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33468

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Point!! Worth a try. Need to make it a sob story to get the big $$. Very Happy
Chris Gambino

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Lights Reply with quote

I am not sure we need a sob story although those always do help. Smile Barnesville has a pretty impressive history and several recognizable drivers have had their starts here, it makes for a compelling argument to keep the track going. It would be worth reaching out to as many B'ville alumni and this would be an easy way to do it. I did do a little research on the fees associated with the different sites and it looks like around 7% goes to the site - 3% of that is for credit card processing. Looks like the key is making sure you set an attainable goal.
Shaverty

Score: 1032

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great idea. Lets put in for a resurface while we are at it Smile
Let me know how I can help.
Chris Gambino

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Lights Reply with quote

I think including a resurface might not be out of the realm of what is possible, I think the first step is to get solid estimates. If we have those then it is just a matter of putting together a nice online "presentation" for the site. After that is primarily getting everyone to link the campaign to different people to start spreading the word.

I help out a small private school that is doing this and have a contact through them that used to work for a crowdsourcing site, she can probably help me understand the ins and out what makes for a successful effort as well as which sites are better or worse.
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The estimates for resurfacing is between $62-82K for a full proper resurfacing.

There has been a rental that has been set up in a parking lot recently. Jeff Baxon, last years GSKA pres is familiar with that. He told me sat that they were able to fill and sea/coat the parking lot for about $8000. The surface is getting better with time. Jeff has invited us out to run on the surface and see what we think.

And remember it is not our track....as far as capital improvement spending is concerned.

Lights could probably be brought in for $8K. with some volunteer labor help.

I feel that if we got lights in as a first step, we could use the extra income from night racing to help fund some sort of resurfacing...c
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got one of our racer engineers re volunteer his services to help out.
Michael-Brown

Score: 860

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: i like the idea of... Reply with quote

..pole sponsors. that can be one family or a couple families per pole. if we could get what that would cost per pole, that would be great.. i saw a pic of some small bleachers used at the Jacksonville track that i think if we could find a place for them, that would be a nice addition too. or something as simple as a long dugout type bench along the fence.. just some thoughts.
jjkummer

Score: 877

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also familiar with the rental track in cov. but testing there is $40 for half day and either $60 or $80 for full day and you have to share the track time with the rentals. I don't know if it's the surface or the tires they use on the rentals (SUPER HARD TIRES for longevity) but there is not much grip at all with the rentals. We are planning on taking Haley and her pro gas over there to test in the near future, she has already been there before paving or sealing I should say so she should be able to tell you the difference. I believe we need to worry more about lights than we do surface.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: