| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #14 Registration
2014-11-01 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
  GSKA 2014 Banquet Registration
2014-11-16 19:00:00 GMT+00:00
2014 GSKA SuperSeries: Race 1 Recap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xracing36

Score: 1846

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: 2014 GSKA SuperSeries: Race 1 Recap Reply with quote

Notes: Personally, I enjoyed myself commentating the races today - nearly every class had excitement to talk about! It was also nice meeting a lot of hopeful new racers, as well some new racers with their karts, and speaking to them about our club. Maybe some of you newbies are even reading this forum post right now! Anyway, for those of you who were working hard in your pit area or prepping for your own race, here's what you may have missed.

The first race of any racing season is always hectic, from drivers scrambling to fix any problems they may have forgotten about over the off-season, to the officiating crew booting back up all hardware and software. While we may have not had such kinds of off-track drama at our GSKA Season Opener, the racing certainly did not disappoint.

Starting off in the LO206 Kid Kart Class, Jax Walker looked to maintain his winning streak from the WKA Gold Cup Season Opener, by adding another tick mark to his consistently growing win column. Jax was joined by first-time racers, Conell and Molly Haverty, who were along for the ride on their chassis. They were even a bit confused of how to exit the track to the pit lane at the end of their first practice session, but by the end of the day they both were clicking off lap times faster than the ones that they had ran the lap before. Jax was still able to click off a pole run, pre-final win, and a feature victory. He would go on to do this against another new GSKA racer, Jack Gambino, in the Kid Clone class, sweeping the Kid divisions and going 4 for 4 in his 2014 racing season so far.

The 4 Cycle Sportsman class, formerly Clone Junior 1, provided nothing but action-packed racing throughout the entire 2013 year. A first-time winner in the form of Nick Torres, and a four-kart battle at the end of the season between the championship winner, Dylan Murry, and three other drivers who looked to shine in 2014. Cody Hall was the driver who bested the others in the final race of the last season, and proved he would be the one having to be knocked off by setting the fastest qualifying lap by nearly four tenths. Nick Torres would answer his challenge loudly, however, by taking the lead off the start in the heat race and holding Cody off to take the victory. Tanner Carter showcased his talent as well by pulling off a third place run in the heat, in only his first full season in the sportsman categories. Cale Hall finished fourth, and Hunter Johnson fought back up to fifth after being shuffled back on the start. Heading into the feature event, all eight karts lined up to take the green, but with the polesitter holding onto the top spot this time. Nick kept the lead up until about halfway through the event, where Cody Hall was able to put together a large enough run coming out of turn number one to out-brake Torres into turn 3, the entrance to the Wilson Twisters. Cody never looked back after taking the lead, pulling out to a near second gap by the end of the race. His younger brother Cale, in his sophomore season as a sportsman driver, fought his way emphatically up to third place by the end of the event, and showed off his satisfaction with his run by pumping his fist as he crossed the line. Tanner Carter would finish fourth, with Hunter Johnson sixth, Daniel Foust seventh, and GSKA Rookie, Spencer Bush, in eighth.

Moving up to the Junior divisions of 4 Cycle, Connor Tebbe and Dylan Murry were set to do battle again after being separated the entire 2013 season. These two were by far the class of the 4 Cycle Sportsman field in 2012, but Tebbe moved up to the Junior divisions one year before Murry did, leaving both of them to seal up GSKA championships. The two went neck-and-neck in qualifying, with Tebbe coming out on top by less than half a tenth. In the heat race, Dylan was able to get a better start than Connor, and similar to the start in 4 Cycle Sportsman, got to the lead and held it throughout the pre-final. Come the feature, Murry was set on how to start the field and got a good enough jump that he made sure Connor could not pull his own move back on him. However, there were to be no holds barred in this fight, as bump-drafting, crossovers, and blocking maneuvers were all used between the two up-front. Lurking on their tail, though, was GSKA veteran Austin Shultz, who nearly got to the lead from their battles on three occasions. This close racing would go on until near the very end, where a judgement error lead to Connor getting into the back of Dylan Murry, sending him around in turn four, and putting him back to third. The trio would finish in this order unofficially, only for Tebbe to be sent behind Murry on the final results, giving Austin Shultz his first GSKA victory.

In Yamaha Junior, Simon Sikes worked on his consistency and pulled out a pole run, pre-final win, and feature race victory, by showing off his strengths to any other racers looking to put up a challenge. David Lawrence took a swing, but was unable to get up to the speed Sikes was running at the end of the day. Both improved on their lap times, especially for Lawrence, as this was only his third ever Yamaha KT100 start.

In the Clone Senior Sportsman class, Jason Walker, Sean Haverty, and Julian Durden all made their racing debuts. From the thrills and spills to the fast-paced action, this class had it all, with numerous drivers making clean passes on each other, and going through the spin cycle. In the end, it would be Julian Durden who took the win, although with a clutch used in 4 Cycle Senior, I believe the win was then handed over to Sean Haverty. This is unofficial, as I was not able to stay around long enough for the final ruling.

In Yamaha Senior, the action was to be held in both the pre-final and feature events, and arguably even qualifying. A scoring mishap, and what turned out to be a miscue on the commentary (my bad! Razz), led to pole sitter Matt Michel being led to initially believe he would be starting fifth, which was incorrect. The scoring was printed, and all was correct on it. Michel led the field to the green, only to have brake issues in the entrance to the Wilson Twisters, marring him to a last-place finish in the pre-final. This left the door open for the rest of the drivers to take a shot at pole for the feature, but only John Wehrheim was able to capitalize and put himself to the point by winning the heat race. Chris Newman crossed the line in second, with Brian Threkeld in third, and Chuck Newman in fourth. Heading into the feature event, Matt Michel knew he had a lot of work to do in order to get back up to the front, to have at the very least a shot at a win. On the start, he picked up a position by Brian Threkeld being spun around in turn one. Michel then turned his sights on Chuck Newman, who he criss-crossed and then muscled his way around. He would then work his way up to Chuck's son, Chris, only to stall out about two tenths back as they both tried to run down Wehrheim. Time would simply run out for both Newman and Michel, unfortunately, as Wehrheim was able to keep them at bay with the early lead he had built up to win the final, with Chris coming home in second, and Matt rounding out the podium in third.

The final event of the day was 4 Cycle Senior, where 4 Cycle Junior graduates and former top guns, Haley Kummer and Tanner Lee, were to qualify 1-2 for the pre-final. GSKA Veteran, Bob Barthelemy, started third, with Mike Sibley in fourth, and Clone Senior Sportsman graduates, Ryan Taylor and Ed White, in fifth and sixth respectively. Kummer got a great start, and in the similar fashion of the lower two divisions of 4 Cycle classes, took the lead from Lee and held him off all up until the last lap. It was heading into the second part of the double-apex, left-handed turn that Tanner made his move, different to where most other drivers had made their passes. The duo went side-by-side heading into the pair of right-handed turns, where they banged side-pods until Haley dropped a wheel into the grass, slid up, and then lost too much traction to hold on. This gave the lead back to Tanner, as he took the win. An intense battle for fourth place went on simultaneously between Ryan Taylor and Mike Sibley, with Sibley coming out on top. Moving into the feature race, Tanner made sure to not give Haley any chance at another good start by running a take-no-prisoners line through turn one, which left Haley back to battle with Bob Barthelemy for the first couple of laps. This was just enough time for Tanner to scoot away with the lead, and as with Cody Hall in the sportsman class, he never looked back. Haley eventually got around Bob to claim second place, with Bob in third to round out the podium finishers.

Needless to say, this year's first race was a great success. With all the families coming out to see what GSKA, and karting as a whole, is like, added with our new drivers, it is safe to say that we are looking at a bright future, and more importantly, another great racing season.

Last edited by Xracing36 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
Daniel White

Score: 6279

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent review Xander. In lieu of being there, it was good to get some details that MyLaps can't reveal.

BTW, Wehrheim was using my motor--just so I could confirm with him that there is nothing special about it. Laughing
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 47555

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to make a public announcement that I am setting aside money for Xander as a "dr cheap most excellent" scholarship fund to use as he wishes to further his education, either in writing workshops or toward his first year in college.

This is based on Xander's outstanding contributions to karting in the form of his journalism and his driving.

His next assignment is interviewing the Legends of Karting, which he did last year, and his return to the announcers mike for the 8th annual Barnesville Vintage karting event. BTW our annual vintage karting event is the biggest single contributor to the GSKA income for the season, making a lot of club benefits possible.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33789

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xander keep up the great work, but you need to work on the spelling of my last name Very Happy

Daniel, thank you for letting me run your motor. Although I now know you have a strong motor, just not as strong as I originally thought!
Xracing36

Score: 1846

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my goodness, sorry John! Well, it's not the first error I've edited to correct due to typing this at midnight.... Embarassed
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33789

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xracing36 wrote:
Oh my goodness, sorry John! Well, it's not the first error I've edited to correct due to typing this at midnight.... Embarassed

No worries. Most people don't get it right. Keep up the great work!
Jeff Sikes
Junior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 8494

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job Xander! Loved the announcing, you are better than the hired hands at the big races! Keep up the good work......
Shaverty

Score: 1087

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job Xander! Our first race was awesome, and although it was a little hectic with the two kids and myself racing and didn't get much of a chance to hear you, my wife thoroughly enjoyed your announcing and was impressed by your work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: