| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #13 Registration
2014-10-25 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
  GSKA 2014 Banquet Registration
2014-11-16 19:00:00 GMT+00:00
Hello and a couple questions about getting started
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam78

Score: 98

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Hello and a couple questions about getting started Reply with quote

Hello. I recently moved to GA, just outside of Newnan. I have been out of racing for a few years and looking to get back in. My prior experience includes autocross (older mustang and corvette) and oval dirt track kart racing. A friend talked me into competing in a 100 lap team Halloween special kart race in IL. It was a sprint track and the kart was KT100 powered. After a couple laps, I had a smile on my face from ear to ear. I still haven't forgotten that smile and that thrill. After much research and thought, sprint karting seems to be a great way to race while not draining the bank account completely. I am well aware of the statement "speed costs money, how fast do you want to go". Based on what I can tell, sprint karting is the best place for me.

My goals are to race as often as my budget and schedule will allow (gotta make time for the family and job too - looking to maximize seat time while managing costs). I will be racing for fun, no professional driver here. I am looking for friendly and good competition. I don't currently own a sprint kart, and this brings me to my question. I have narrowed my search down between the Yamaha Senior (KT100) or TAG classes. I just can't decide which would be best. My current job moves me from time to time (seems like every 3-5 years), so I want to choose the best class that will allow me the opportunity to run at as many tracks as possible. Just trying to make the wisest investment possible. I have checked out Lamar County Speedway, the home of GSKA (visited last year during race weekend). I have also checked out AMP (visited this past weekend) . Lamar seems to have a good KT100 group and AMP seems to have a good TAG group. Based on last weekend, it seems like the two groups are trying to work together for the benefit of sprint karting in GA.

1. Based on the tracks locally, my prior experience level, and the competition available, what is the best class / engine combo to choose?
2. Can anyone recommend a local shop / individual for used karts, knowledge, and guidance?

Any wisdom or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I have a high interest level in sprint karting, just low on knowledge and experience. Thank you in advance.

Adam
edward 54

Score: 2236

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Getting started Reply with quote

Well I'am first to say we are glad to have you, second you say you are interested in a tag or Yamaha both are very good choices. We have a very good Yamaha group and the tag group is just starting to come back around.

The speed between the two is diff, tags are faster then yam, Yamaha's you have to service a little more than a tag not saying that Yamaha's are bad because there not. Not trying to steer you in the wrong way but have you thought about a clone kart.

We have a very large group in clone and they are almost trouble free to keep up just not as fast as a tag/Yamaha. You can get lots of seat time in a clone. I'am sure other members will chime on this post and give there views. If you not busy this weekend come on down this Saturday and watch us run first race of the year at B'ville. ED

Edward 54 razor clone/arrow rotax

Smile Smile Smile Smile Very Happy
edward 54

Score: 2236

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Getting started Reply with quote

I almost forgot if you think about the clone deal check the classifieds or you can check out Roberts Kart Shop. Steve and Stacy Roberts are the owners.

Edward 54 razor clone/arrow rotax Cool
Xracing36

Score: 1829

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Southeast, Northeast, and Florida, the majority is TaG, and Barnesville is somewhat different because our nearest shop, Roberts Kart Shop, is a service shop for 4-cycle racers who want to compete in the WKA Gold Cup Championship.

Because of that, we have a large amount of Clone, and now Pro Gas Animal, 4-stroke drivers, and then for those who want a faster challenge, move up to Yamaha once they know enough on how to work by themselves at the track, or with the help of another yamaha racer.

GA Kart Sales is run by Jeff Bacon, I think he deals in TaG, and AtlantaKarting.com is run by Rick Sweeting, which is TaG and Yamaha. Robertskartshop.com is run by Steve and Stacy Roberts, and they can do just about anything for you parts-wise and assembly-wise, but their main focus is their national champion razor and valor chassis and 4-stroke motors.

Personally, I think TaG would get a bit more places than Yamaha, but I wouldn't get into it just yet - there is a lot to learn about the engine. While the Yamaha KT100 does need more rebuilds than a TaG, the Yamaha rebuilds are usually $400-$300 cheaper per rebuild, so it adds up.

From running Clone, and what I've heard about Pro Gas, the rebuilds are much lower. Steve is also usually at the track on racedays to help, and just about any racer would be willing to lend you a hand as well if you ask nicely Laughing.
Jeff Foust

Score: 3988

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had a bunch of things in my head to reply with, but I think Xander and Ed covered everything I was going to say! So I'll just say hi... We're right up the road from you, just south of Newnan. If you get a kart and need a hand with anything, just let me know!
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 47404

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam-welcome! Come to our first race of the season this week 3/15/14 and start learning. I betcha you could even ride over with Foust racing,

I would take Jeff Foust (Foust Racing-I just gave them that name) up on his offer and start learning. He, his dad and son are into their second season and learning quickly. We believe in mentoring here were we hook a newby up with a more experienced karter and start learning. And you can get some laps in with a loaner kart. Bring your driving gear and what you do not have we will loan you.

I would start with a 4 cycle, either a clone or the new Briggs Pro Gas. They will start and run for ever and you can see how you like it. Next step would be a Yamaha, which gives you closer to A Tag performance for a lot less money.

We have loaner karts for you to get some laps in before you buy anything. Once you are ready, there are plenty of great deals out there on good used and new kart packages. Roberts Kart Shop in Lovejoy, GA is your closest full time race kart shop.

We are here for you and will help any way possible to get you racing, on a budget. See you Sat. dr.cheap
Daniel White

Score: 6265

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum and to karting. There is some good info on this thread. Here's my .02 worth:

A lot can change in 3-5 years. I've already owned 3 karts in 2 different classes in 6 years. It's probably best to race what is popular at Barnesville, if it will indeed be your home track, and not think so much about what other regions of the country race--those things change, too.

Since you have racing experience, you can probably make the leap into a TAG, but it's only about .7 second faster than a Yamaha at our track. IIRC, a Yamaha is about 1.7 faster than a Clone. Clone and Yamaha have been the two biggest classes in the past two years. There was a time when TAG / Rotax ruled, but most of those racers have left or switched (like I did).

There is a massive difference between a TAG and a Clone. You will have to see if the thrill of the Clone's speed is enough for you. However, from what I've seen and heard from the Clone racers, the racing is very satisfying (and exciting), and some of the club's best drivers are in, or have raced in, that class.
DannyK

Score: 1193

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam,
Welcome, glad you were able to make it out to AMP this past weekend!

When i was looking at which class to get into this time last year i landed on Rotax due to its popularity in surrounding states, and I can run in TAG class at AMP and GSKA. I knew AMP would be my primary track, but also knew i want to travel a little and get to GSKA when i can. To me Rotax was the answer. Obviously budget plays a huge role, so you have to run the numbers and see if it works for you. Rotax needs a top end about every 15-20 hours ($400) and a complete rebuilding every 40 hours ($1000ish). 1 hour of seat time in a day is probably about right for a race day.

Rule number one when selecting a class: do not ignore the "slower karts". they are all hella fast, and arguably the best racing happens in the "slower" classes.

If GSKA will be your home consider yamaha or clone. If AMP/travelling is an option and budget allows you might consider rotax/tag.

GSKA is trying their best to have more tag entries each race, so you could just go buy a tag kart and help support the cause Laughing

Come to GSKA this weekend. My rotax kart is awaiting your test drive.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33772

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam
Welcome. If you are at the track this weekend feel free to look me up. There is a lot to consider, budget, experience, mechanical ability, where you want to race etc.
Personally my recommendation to all new karters is start with the slower hp karts then move to a TAG. There is so much to learn in karting and a lot of people get out of the sport because they find they are not competitive or found it was too expensive. You can be a great driver but if you don't have the experience to tune the chassis you'll be slow and of course the reverse holds true.
Learn how to drive a kart and tune a kart, then move to TAG. If you want to go TAG, I would suggest the X30 or Rotax.
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 47404

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good drivers are fast on the straights

Great drivers are fast through the turns..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> 2 Cycle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: