| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #11 Registration
2014-09-06 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
wet racing policy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clint

Score: 1054

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: wet racing policy Reply with quote

I think we all need to review the rain policy for the next time we race in the same conditions. We should have red flagged that 4cycle sportsman jr. race when it went from intermediate to wet. The track was already wet by the time they took the green flag.

Dry to wet conditions: When a race has started under dry conditions and wet weather occurs, necessitating a red flag condition, the event will be considered completed if one-half or more of the scheduled laps have been completed. If less than one-half of scheduled laps completed, Race Director may declare wet weather conditions and provide competitors a reasonable period of time (approx 15 minutes) to mount rain tires. Upon restart, event will revert to original starting line-up and be run (a) either the originally scheduled distance or (b) a shorter distance prescribed by the Race Director to accommodate for conditions.

I did say next time fellas. Let's don't get our panties in a wad. I'm not directing this toward anyone. Just sayin.

Congrats to Nick and Steve.
Darrin Tebbe
Out to pasture

Score: 28295

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say commando or death!
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 46924

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint-we will watch that closely in the future. I can only say this is our first wet weather race in years, and reverse direction, and off and on rain.

I have full faith in Mike...it was a learning process for us all...

Your Commander-in-Cheap
Jeff Foust

Score: 3902

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Clint. The race should have been red-flagged and wet conditions declared... It was coming down pretty good by the time the kids finally got out on the track and it looked like just about everyone on slicks lost it in the warm-up lap. Then it took so long to get them gathered up that the track was definitely wet when the green finally dropped.

Also not trying to point fingers, or start anything. Thanks for bringing it up - it was definitely a learning experience, though, and something to discuss for how to handle in the future.
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 46924

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impression is that Mike did not notice the slipping and sliding on the track while concentrating on getting the racers lined up. Most, if not all, the action was in the S turns and the big turn coming onto the straight. From having flagged at Bville before, I know there is a lot going on to keep your eyes on. Not an excuse, just a reason.

A spotter in the tower would help. I can be that spotter...c
Jeff Foust

Score: 3902

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not trying to blame Mike (or anyone for that matter). It's definitely tough to see exactly what's happening on the back side of the track from down by the start/finish. Can the track worker back there talk to the tower and/or Mike or are they receive-only? I'm assuming they can transmit, and if so it sounds like there just could have been better communication.
Xracing36

Score: 1772

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your question Jeff, they are two-way, but I imagine in heat of the moment of trying to get everyone back going, the track workers may not have been instantly thinking of the wet racing policy. As for the spotter in the tower, I might have been able to help out this weekend, but some of the lights on our trailer/tow vehicle weren't working, and we thought we had solved this issue on Thursday night with a trip to the near U-Haul. Rather be safe than sorry in those cases.
Mike Pugh
Race Director

Score: 34628

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone want my position ? Shocked