| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #14 Registration
2014-11-01 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
  GSKA 2014 Banquet Registration
2014-11-16 19:00:00 GMT+00:00
4 Cycle Sportsman Tire Specifications
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edward Bush

Score: 486

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: 4 Cycle Sportsman Tire Specifications Reply with quote

Got a question/issue to hopefully get an answer to. Disclaimer: You'll have to forgive me if I am missing the obvious as I and my son are completely new to this.

I had the understanding that this class (clone jr 1) for 2013 was running 4.50 on the front, 6.00 on the rear. For 2014 this has changed (?) to 4.50 on all four corners to align with WKA. Today I was told that WKA voted on the 8th and changed their specifications to run 4.50 front and 6.00 on the rear.

Again, totally new to this so no problem 4.5 on all corners or 4.5 front 6.0 rear..., just want to know before I buy tires for the season!

Any thoughts?
mjohnson

Score: 1318

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Sportsman tire specs Reply with quote

We have raced with the same tire for a couple year. why go and change now.
I see no sense in changing we already have the tire and rims
mjohnson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: SportMans tire specs Reply with quote

Why not ask the ones racing that class before going changing the tire rule
Chuck Newman
Junior 4 Cycle Director

Score: 5821

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be happy to address this guys. Wait a minute while I go put on my official BOD's hat....Smile

The following is a little history of the wheel situation in the Junior 4-cycle classes. I can't claim credit for writing it, but I have the utmost confidence in it's validity.

So:
The way the 6" tire ended up being allowed in GSKA clone junior 1 is that when we originally started the clone classes we had:
Clone Junior 1: 7-10 years old - ran 4.50x5 front & rear
Clone Junior 2: 10-12 years old - ran 4.50 front and 6.00 rear
Clone Junior 3: 12-15 years old - ran 4.50 front and 6.00 rear

As a general rule, WKA has and all other asphalt sectioning bodies have 7-12 year old kids on 4.50 tires on front and rear. Rotax even has it that way on Minimax, which is 13 or 14 horsepower and a fairly hard tire.

GSKA had very low turnout in both junior 1 and junior 2 classes, so we combined the then Junior 1 and Junior 2 classes into one 7-12 class and allowed the 6.00 on the rear just so the Junior 2s that already had 6.00s can run them.

The bottom line is that the 7-12 class needs to be on 4.50 all around. The change is being made a month ahead of time and for the combining of the clone and pro gas classes to work correctly everyone needs to be on the same tire. Clone and Pro Gas in GSKA is NOT two separate classes. They are one 4 Cycle Sportsman class and the tire for 4 cycle sportsman is 4.50x5 front and rear.

Hope this answers any concern as to why this needed to be done, and while we ALWAYS try to avoid anything that increases cost, we feel the benefit to the class (and club), more than justifies it.

If anyone ever has any questions about anything we do, I feel I speak for the entire BOD when I encourage you to ask.

Chuck
mjohnson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: SportsMan Reply with quote

If you can't run two tire rules Then why run two engine rules
RKS

Score: 803

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WKA combined all Sportsman 1 and 2 classes in the gold cup this year. The rule for sportsman 1 was 4.5's on front and rear last year. The sportsman pro gas last year was ran with the 6.0 option on the rear. This got over looked when the classes became combined this year. Since WKA printed the rule book there has been a trustee meeting allowing 6.0 as a option on the rear along with the 4.5 all the way around option. WKA should have this out on the pit board sometime this week.

Hope this helps.
Chuck Newman
Junior 4 Cycle Director

Score: 5821

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RKS wrote:

Hope this helps.

Would have helped a month ago when we set the rules, based on what they did... Sad

Standby, guys.

Edit:
Thanks, Stevie.

Last edited by Chuck Newman on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Jeff Foust

Score: 4068

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm glad I haven't gone out and sunk a bunch of money into 6" rear tires yet! I did buy wheels that are currently not legal several months ago, though, before the 4.5" rule was posted. Sounds like the 6" may end up being okay but I guess I'll hold out on buying tires for the official word.
Edward Bush

Score: 486

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: 4 Cycle Sportsman Tire Specifications Reply with quote

..., didn't mean to open a box of worms fellas! Arguing
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29335

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@guyswith6inchwheels, you kids will grow up and will race in Junior class eventually.

6" wide rear wheels/tires are also used in Yamaha Junior and Senior classes, rain wheels for all other senior classes, so it is not like you bought boat anchor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> 4 Cycle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: