| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #4 Registration
2014-05-03 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
IF I am elected, ideas for 2014...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrChip
Club President

Score: 42547

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: IF I am elected, ideas for 2014... Reply with quote

1. More track saftey, including corners and corner flagging. I will help with this

2. worker sun protection-to be sharp, they must be out of the sun. am thinking of something that does not impose a danger to the racers

3. a retrieval vehicle-I have a lawn tractor and trailer I will bring to recover karts after a race is completed that cannot make it back to the pits on their own. Other tracks do this and we did this at past vintage events. Is safer, and as a racer, I can appreciate someone to come get my kart when I am, hot tired and frustrated.

4. a short, non points, affordable away series, possibly at AMP. stay tuned as more details become available

5. night summer series under the liights, either rental lights (expensive) or our own lights (no promises but working on it)

6.a lowner kart for newbys: I have a complete clone loaner kart that I will make available for potential new racers, either to get laps in or to race. A way to hook newbys and to grow our racers numbers

7. A TRUE clone class, with stock clone engines, only allow air filter, header, gov, low oil sensor and carb jeting to be changed. These could be sealed engines to purchase, OR club owned sealed engines that the racer would draw for at the track and have time to mount on their own frame.

I want our club to be RACER driven. If you have comments, complaints or suggestions, step forward and let us know. The only thing I have not mastered in my life is the ability to read minds Evil or Very Mad

Looking to a GREAT 2014..c
Xracing36

Score: 1553

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we were to try and run our own event at AMP, the prices would be outrageous I can imagine. Plus, there is not a whole excess of parking area, although I don't believe it will be an issue for one of our local races. A joint co-operation with the TSRacing Series would be a cool thing, especially if we could do vice versa down here at Barnesville and keep a points tally for the Overall Georgia State Champion.

As for an added suggestion, for the external starter classes (yamaha, kpv, and animal), we should mandate or at least highly recommend a nut to be used that fits all three starter options. I know that Steve Roberts did something of the sort with his Animal, and although I am not sure how much it may cost to put in a new type of nut on it, I believe that it would be beneficial because then once the karts were started and went off pacing, the gator could go around and deliver starters to each of the flagmen on all parts of the track in the case of anyone stalling out under pacing. I know it's not traditional, but I think it could be highly beneficial to those classes, especially when we have a new driver enter the class still learning how to keep the RPMs up to not stall.
AtlantaKarting.com

Score: 249

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xracing36 wrote:
As for an added suggestion, for the external starter classes (yamaha, kpv, and animal), we should mandate or at least highly recommend a nut to be used that fits all three starter options.

There is already such an item out there, it is called a 5/16 hex drive, most starters already have them attached. No need to make anything new.
Luttrell Racing

Score: 1418

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Clone classes Reply with quote

I would like to see:

1-only one set of engine rules. (Wka)

2-full engine tech if a racer wins two races straight. (All the way down to the crank)

3-if you are wanting to create "sportsman, pro ex" classes the only thing that should be different is the weights.
https://www.facebook.com/IonicEdgeChassis
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rich G

Score: 86

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to suggest some other things, from a different point of view. To grow the club, somebody not racing has to start, everybody gets that. So I think more emphasis needs to be applied in an area that seems to be ignored at this time. The spectator stands on the far side need more care, grass growing through them, and loose boards do not really make one want to sit on them.
Also when watching a race over there the PA is not audible, so unless you know the kart and class you are watching, you are lost. Perhaps some way of identifying classes could be devised? The first thing that most interested people are going to do is watch some racing, and if its hard to figure out who is out there (age groups, classes etc.)they could loose interest quick. I do say that Mooresville has a simple idea as far as the classes and the numbers on the carts, If that idea could be applied it would then be able to extend to a flyer or signage that explains classes and types of karts. 1st class out would be 100's, second class out 200's and so on, then in if say a parent of a young perspective driver was to get a flyer that said kart numbers they would be able to say hey look son, or daughter , these are the same age group as you.

Another item that concerned me on that side is the opening in the fence for the mower and etc. , the chain was not even up when I went over there at one race, that is a serious safety problem, and even just a chain across the opening is not really good enough, little Bobby goes for a walk while dad and mom are looking at track and then there is a serious problem.
A sign should also be made showing where pit passes are sold, and where they are required, I know this seems silly to the ones racing every event, but newcomers are not going to know.

About racing, I think the cost of clones has gone past crazy, and I liked some of the ideas that were being kicked around for a true stock type of program, and agree that that should be pursued, in the interest of affordability, and competition.
I dont think that the club will just take off and have people filling the track, the disposable income just isnt there for most people, so opportunity's need to be taken when available to present the sport, not just as a "this guy used to race karts before he made it big" type feeder sport, but as a true sport all on its own. To that end as an idea, Maybe a tent at friday night drags at Atlanta Motor Speedway, maybe with a couple of karts and some knowledgeable friendly people could boost some interest (thursday thunder not so much pit access isnt as easy, but possibly a tent by the gate could work) and other events. I know that is a pretty big time investment but looking outside the small box of Lamar County Speedway is necessary.
DrChip
Club President

Score: 42547

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, I will respond briefly for now, as a racer and not a board member

The basic problem at the track is that of limited money and labor for a property we do not own.

A few years ago, we cut and replaced all the wood in the stands. We spent a full day with 10 people dedicated to just the stands. The stands have never been used by more than a handful of people at least over the last 5 years that I have have been active a Bville. Same for no PA system over there. Fans should be able to tune in on our FM station to hear.

Opening in the fence: let's go a over and check it out next race.

Your idea of identifying classes was just mentioned today by one of our former presidents. It is easily done with 3 digit numbers, with the first digit identifying the class. We have gone to letter id of classes like the SCCA does, but the letters cannot always be seen. We do provide printed class information info for each race that could be used to identify classes. A three digit number would be easy to implement. I understand AMP uses this method as well.

Cost of racing-: we are still the best bang for the buck in motor sports. However, costs of karting Barnesville style has gone up. WKA is no longer supporting clones. There is a new spec engine from Briggs and Stratton, a long time supporter of kart racing. That was just discussed as well today.

Promotion of karting:again resources. We have made up nice brochures pushing karting as family friendly. We have exhibited at the Atlanta car show and the Pettit Lemans at Road Atlanta

We need volunteers for track improvement and promotion. c
Xracing36

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To work with the PA System not being over by the stands, I think that we should at least set up an easily legible sign on that side of the fence letting them know what FM Radio to tune into. If moving the stands were ever a possibility, we need to get them within distance of our concession building, because then we can actually make profit off of their being there, and not just show off the karts.

I think having the PA System being able to be heard on everyone's cars over there would be more than plenty and take out a possible need for numbers. The track isn't really within walking distance of any nearby houses, so that combined with the fact that nearly every car has a radio system with the ability to tune in to our broadcast, I think there wouldn't be a need to try and wire the PA System over there. The biggest issue with the grandstands is that there is no cover or shade from the sun. We race in the heat of the day and unless people stay in their cars, it just may not be worth it.

If there was any way to get some more cover over there and set up a semi-temporary booth to sell candies and snacks not cooked, that'd be great. Maybe even set up a ticket system for someone to go over to the grill on the far side of the track and get a hot dog, hamburger, or cheeseburger there. All we would need would be a canopy for the stand and a couple to cover the stands, and then a little more inventory each race.

PLUS, if we were to set up a stand over by the stands, the person working the stand could just set up a stereo and play the PA over the radio that way. No work for the spectator and a day, and depending on how the lights go, night of racing action!
Rich G

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean to say an overhaul of the stands is needed, just some TLC. And a more viable sign for the radio info would help. I just wanted to point out that Mom friendly on that side would be more likely to get Mom to take a look.
Xracing36

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense, but the thing to consider is how it will benefit the club. I understand that from a promotional standpoint it may help gain one or two more racers, but to truly get the most out of our spectator crowd, we need to setup a temporary snack stand down there and have it covered one way or another to make it worthwhile IMO.
Rich G

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is allot of overhead with a snack stand, and with as few people in them it would be cheaper to leave a box of snacks over there with a free snacks
Not trying to be a smarty about that, just real.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: