| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #14 Registration
2014-11-01 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
  GSKA 2014 Banquet Registration
2014-11-16 19:00:00 GMT+00:00
Things we should be thinking about for the 2014 season..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 47556

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Things we should be thinking about for the 2014 season.. Reply with quote

SCHEDULING

when should we have our first race?

Many have said that it was too cold for our first race this year. In the past, we had our first race mid march with the vintage race at the end of March. Easter came early in 2013 so we had to move up the vintage race to mid March, pushing back our first regular race. I would suggest we have our first race mid March, break for the vintage race at the end of March, then resume the regular season two weeks early around mid March.

Summer break: many have commented that our summer break this year was too long, and the season did not ramp up quick enought in August and September.

The reasonings is that the summer is brutal for racing. But that is up to the racers.

There are other things to discuss and decide, but I wanted our racers to be ready with opinions when the 2014 schedule come up for discussions. c
Jeff Foust

Score: 4068

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what past years were like, but Daniel was miserably cold to the point of being in tears after one of those first races.. I guess we'll have to remember the heater and hand warmers if we start that early again! Personally I'll take cold over hot any day - but I know not everyone (including my driver) is with me on that.

The summer break was long, but I can see where it could be problematic getting folks to the track with vacations and whatnot, and yeah it's freaking hot. Could we maybe try to get one race in during the summer to break up the break? Maybe a night race to try to beat the heat? Don't know how that works out financially with the light rentals, but that was fun. Seems like someone suggested a mini-summer-series at some point like a couple of races for those of us brave enough to tough out the heat?

What about the suggestion to go to 12 races that was made at the August race? I think 14 is good, but I haven't raced a full season, so I can't really comment on if past seasons felt too long or anything like that.
Austin18

Score: 4198

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mid-summer night race might be possible...
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest hassle with renting the lights is getting them for and back to the rental group. The extra cost is offset by the increased number of racers.
But we can do it if every helps out.

In addition, I have been playing with the idea of running later in the day, but making sure we finish up before dark, which is somewhere around 9pm in the summer. That way we would beat the heat of the day when we did not have lights.

Does a one month July break work?

That's the discussions I want to hear..keep them coming...c
Chuck Newman
Junior 4 Cycle Director

Score: 5822

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would everyone think about having a separate 3 or 4 race mini-series, run at night during the summer?
If we squeezed them together (maybe 2 weeks on, a week off, 2 more weeks on), we might be able to keep the lights on a discounted rental. Obviously, there are other details that would need to be worked out.

I know this doesn't apply to the adults for the most part, but a lot of families, ours included, have other kids playing ball, cheerleading, etc., and the summer is the BEST time to go race.

CN
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck-I like the idea of night racing for the hot summer months however we handle it. Doug Austin just let me know he now has an 18ft utility trailer that can haul 3 light set ups. I can check into pricing for keeping the lights for several weeks vs renting and returning them each week.

We could do a Sumer series,,or handle the summer races any way the racers decide to handle,it.

Should we do A Hot August Nights deal where we race every Sat for 3 weeks?
This would make renting the lights cheaper, I would think, by just keeping them for three weeks, or more, in a row.

Maybe we could offer some practice nights under the lights to help off set the cost of having the lights for 3-4 weeks straight? Razz

Last edited by DrChip on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRACK LIGHTS: as some of you know, we had track lights back in the day.
You will see where the big light poles were cut down by one track owner as a concession to the drifter cars he was allowing on the track.

When I raced at Barnesville in 1988, we had night racing during the hot months. It gave people more time to get to the track, have time in the day for other athletic and family commitments.

Night racing was and still seems to be a popular idea. It is felt that this would draw more racers.

An idea being discussed it to try to get lights back for the track. GA power will donate old poles. Several of us have been searching eBay and craigslist for stadium lights. MAYBE we could get GA Power to set the poles. Steve Roberts has a friend who is an electrician. The rest could be done with volunteer help?

This is an IDEA only at this time, but I'm working on it..c
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: