| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
Race #4 at Atlanta Motorsports Park, Saturday June 8, 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 46258

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DannyK wrote:
Vintage would be awesome. Do you know anyone else? I cant imagine TS turning down the chance to add a class for the vintage guys/gals.

There are a lot of vintage karters around Atlanta. This might be short notice but I can promote it if Jim/AMP will allow. I can be there for sure, if just for some demo laps.

"Dr Chip". Assistant coordinator for the Barnesville Vintage Kart Winternationals since 2010, kart racing since 1958, and Sportsman Class points leader at Barneville. 2013.
bspek

Score: 5033

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that might increase AMP insurance premiums...some of those old karts are scary...

DannyK wrote:
Vintage would be awesome. Do you know anyone else? I cant imagine TS turning down the chance to add a class for the vintage guys/gals.
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bspek wrote:
that might increase AMP insurance premiums...some of those old karts are scary...

DannyK wrote:

Not mine..have run at Roebling, Barber, Talledega GP.  chrome Molly chassis, Small cube west end engine....much slower and safer than modern TAG and Yamaha kart classes..c
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33471

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Chip,
Driving a vintage kart at AMP would be like riding an old wooden roller coaster. Lots of fun, but will scare you to death. Very Happy
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wehrheim wrote:
Dr Chip,
Driving a vintage kart at AMP would be like riding an old wooden roller coaster. Lots of fun, but will scare you to death. Very Happy

Yep! I need some excitement in my life..c Twisted Evil

Ps: Ran the transaxle Ford at AMP past Sat before our night race. First time ever at speed. That got my heart beating Shocked
Jim Fry

Score: 872

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chip,

We would be glad to have you and your Vintage kart friends come to AMP for an exhibition run, however I am concerned that you will not meet our noise requirements. They are as follows:

Autocross/Kart track – 92 DBA “A” weighted 50’ from track edge under full throttle, near or at full RPM. Karts are required to run air box and full muffler or silencer.

Please let me know if you can meet this requirement and then we can discuss possibilities. Thanks, Jim
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim-Good point..Yep, I can meet that with the standard west Bend MUFFLER, not the open "Lightning Bolt" exhaust". We used these in 1958 as required  for indoor kart races held at the old Cincinnati Gardens, an early venue that hosted pro basketball and hockey.

But to be sure, I will run some sound level measurements,( I have been a licensed audiologist for 38 years now in the State of GA). I will also measure the expansion chamber that I used at Roebling. I was well under their maximum allowable noise level limits.

Thanks for your consideration..c

Update-just checked and their limit it 103 dBA which is significantly higher than AMPs 92 dB.. I will start doing some measurements.

I know that noise levels were a big issue in getting the AMP track approved-I am on it for us vintage guys...c
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Jim or anyone else tell me what sound levels are generated by TAG and Yamaha karts at AMP? c
CR

Score: 216

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forcast looks good for this weekends race.

After 30+ years out of karting, I'm having way to much fun again. Very Happy
Darrin Tebbe
Out to pasture

Score: 28123

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrChip wrote:

I know that noise levels were a big issue in getting the AMP track approved-I am on it for us vintage guys...c

That's gonna be a looooooooonnnnnnngggggg push up the hill for you Dr. DNF.. I mean Dr. Chip Laughing

DT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> 2 Cycle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: