| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #3 Registration
2014-04-19 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
Sr Clone Open Wheel/ Tire rule for 2013?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shiftersteve

Score: 1853

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Sr Clone Open Wheel/ Tire rule for 2013? Reply with quote

Just wanted to open a discussion about next year's Senior Clone tire rule for the club board to consider. Would the club consider adding open 6 inch tires for next year? Many of us have several sets of 6 inch wheels that are otherwise going to become obsolete. If we have open 5 inch tire rule (instead of spec 5 inch) why not allow open 6's as well? Vega, Maxxis and Dunlop all make 6 inch tires that are readily available. My only consideration on this is to keep the clone class costs low. Thats all. Thoughts?
jeff bacon

Score: 15013

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to that thought, Hoosier paid the SEKA guys something like 10$ per entry if they made Hoosier the spec tire. Just a thought.
www.jeffsgarageandspeedshop.com
www.gakartsales.com
Chuck Newman
Junior 4 Cycle Director

Score: 4526

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cmon Steve, you know better...

Open tires never saved anyone any money once they actually run out of what they already have. I've never seen a situation that didn't evolve into the quickest, shortest life tire becoming the tire that you had to run to be competitive.

WKA has already spec'ed a 5" Bridgestone YLC for Gold Cup, which I think was a great idea. Plenty of availability, reasonably priced, and fairly durable. Mike Sibley ran a set in the enduro; he might have some input as to their longevity. We ran a set on Chris and Skylar's kart in the enduro as well. It also would keep us on the same tire as Gold Cup, for whatever thats worth down the road. Its certainly an advantage for our local drivers running that series.
There were some issues with wheel sizes initially, but that should be resolved.

That would be my vote.

Chuck

Last edited by Chuck Newman on Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
shiftersteve

Score: 1853

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey im all for spec YLC if thats the call. Just wanted to be able to use my existing wheels and wondered why the 5 inch guys were allowed open tires. I like the idea of following Gold Cup rules.
Badbandit12

Score: 2441

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Steve , there's no good reason our club can't swap the rule around that we had for the 5 " wheels when 6" we're the spec. Now that 5" are the spec why not have an open six inch ?? Just my 2 cents .
mike sibley

Score: 605

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: tires Reply with quote

I did run the new 5" tire in the enduro. It was the first time that I had them on this year (or ever). It was allot to get use to, the kart would not stay on the track at first. After allot of different tire pressure and kart changing during practice we did find the right combanation. The tires were better than I ever thought they would be when they did come in after about 20 laps ( we started with low pressure expecting them to gain pressure ) they were just like the Firestone. After the race is when they really were shocking. It looked as if we just ran a 10 lap practice, and remember that was after 3 practice 1 qualifing and 275 laps of racing. I have no complaints on the tire but will be reading what you guys have to say about them... Rolling Eyes
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 32566

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my views.
1. We had a 5" open tire rule to allow the older chassis' and Euro chassis' to be a bit more competitive to the Firestones. Now that most have newer chassis' this is not as important.
2. We should follow the WKA rules
3. The YLC's are great tires. They have a lot of grip provided you set the tires appropriately.

My recommendation for 2013 would be to have the YLC's be the spec tire for all Clone classes. 450 fronts, 710 rears for Sr classes.

If we are going to allow a 6" tire, I would recommend a spec tire, like Hoosier or Maxxis, but if we do allow this, then we should still allow open 5". Just my opinion.
Darrin Tebbe
Out to pasture

Score: 26632

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The YLC is indeed a great tire. Connor and Simon were running tires that had 3 race days on them in the Enduro and they were still clicking off 25.20's at the end of the race. Best of all they still probably have a race day left in them. Once you figure out the pressures they offer a great balance of grip and wear.

Best of all, there are a ton of 1 race used tires available from everyone running ManCup and Gold Cup. People practically give them away.

I think it's time for the 6" stuff to go away. No one is really making asphalt sprint specific tires anymore. The 6" Vegas work really well, but last 1-2 races tops. There is no cost savings there.

DT
edward 54

Score: 1915

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Senior Clone Tire Rules 2012 Reply with quote

I was wondering when this was going to come up.we all know we ran out of tires at the end of the season. So we had to start looking for another tire to run on and finish the season. Now don't get me wrong on this I was pretty happy with what we was using 6 inch wheel who to say that it won't happen with the 5 inch wheel over a period of time. I think we should get with the club members and take a vote on it. Be it 6 inch spec or open or 5 inch spec or open and decide which brand of tire is going be the best for the club cost wise and long lasting. Thanks that's my input. Edward 54
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Austin18

Score: 4169

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6" wheels and tires for sale,,,,,CHEAP !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> 4 Cycle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: