| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #11 Registration
2014-09-06 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
next year
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29147

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, for next year, why would Yamaha Sportsman be listed as points paying class?
Daniel White

Score: 6196

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'm 90% sure I will race Rotax, and I plan to race at Barnesville 3-4 times, perhaps more if the numbers go up (though I think that is unlikely). I really need to commit to going to CMP a time or two for a Friday practice / Saturday race day.

My other option is to ditch my Rotax and put a Yamaha can on my Arrow. I'm thinking about it, though I really enjoy the speed of a high-HP kart. Plus, I've never made the commitment to actually getting better; that is, getting coaching, practicing / testing enough, learning how to tune a carb, and using new tires. I'd probably regret selling my Rotax never having genuinely tried my best.
Darrin Tebbe
Out to pasture

Score: 28299

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ihor Bilyy wrote:
Darrin Tebbe wrote:
My biggest concern about having classes listed on the registration and classes page is that a newcomer might just look there and make their decision solely by what they see there. I'd hate to see a new racer spend $3k-$4k on a package and show up only to find out they are the only kart in the class.

This was a real problem in the past, and it pretty much killed our 8-12 year old 2 cycle classes.

Ihor Bilyy wrote:
Can you name names?
Cadet (not 4k package) - all moved up.
MicroMax - all moved up.
Yamaha Sportsman - we had 3, one is still racing regionally, 2 moved up to Junior.
MiniMax - all Minis moved to Juniors, some even to Legends. One left the sport and not for a reason of racing alone.

You make my point for me. Instead of there being one class with 8 or so kids we had them spread out and they all went in different directions.

Quote:
We have 2 quality ladders right now, one for 2 stroke...

Ihor Bilyy wrote:
The problem is that you and John thinks its a quality ladder in 2 stroke. You don't have place to race, other than Daytona once a year. Is it a quality?

Yamaha makes the most sense for a lower cost ladder class on the local level. No restrictors, no spec gears, well thought out and proven classes. For someone who wanted to travel you can run Man Cup (This past year was at Daytona, CMP, Newcastle) and there is good turnout in FKCS. CMP also has the Yamaha ladder, although they too don't have many karts.

Quote:
If we had a reliable Rotax partner we could rely on for the long run, I would be for at least doing a 4-6 race RMAX challenge series embedded within our regular season and see how things go from there.

Ihor Bilyy wrote:
We just returned from Ocala, it was not Rotax Challenge race. All fall races are local races where they don't even check your membership and at the same time 95% entries were rotax engines. Who cares, if in all years only few guys from GA went to Nationals? Why can't Rotax be local class? How is it different from Leopard?

What has made Ocala (and the Rotax scene in Florida) so strong is the support and efforts of OGP and the other big Rotax dealers in Florida. People down there don't have to worry what those dealers will be thinking next week, so they make the investment and show up to race most every race. That stability and relative lack of class choices are what has made the competition so good down there.
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 46925

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like my clone...c
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Darrin Tebbe"]
Ihor Bilyy wrote:
Darrin Tebbe wrote:
My biggest concern about having classes listed on the registration and classes page is that a newcomer might just look there and make their decision solely by what they see there. I'd hate to see a new racer spend $3k-$4k on a package and show up only to find out they are the only kart in the class.

This was a real problem in the past, and it pretty much killed our 8-12 year old 2 cycle classes.

Ihor Bilyy wrote:
Can you name names?
Cadet (not 4k package) - all moved up.
MicroMax - all moved up.
Yamaha Sportsman - we had 3, one is still racing regionally, 2 moved up to Junior.
MiniMax - all Minis moved to Juniors, some even to Legends. One left the sport and not for a reason of racing alone.

You make my point for me. Instead of there being one class with 8 or so kids we had them spread out and they all went in different directions.

And how did it help having 1 yamaha sportsman class and 1 junior? It did not. That decision scared away people with other packages and did not bring new. Its a fact. I don't know how else to show it.

Quote:
What has made Ocala (and the Rotax scene in Florida) so strong is the support and efforts of OGP and the other big Rotax dealers in Florida. People down there don't have to worry what those dealers will be thinking next week, so they make the investment and show up to race most every race. That stability and relative lack of class choices are what has made the competition so good down there.

What made Ocala so strong is that they do not mandate what class you have to be in. They let people choose and there are people who bring they stuff (cheap or not) and race, often grouped with other classes.

There were a lot of improvements to the club but at the same time... look at the average entries? We were hitting 100 entries a race with Jeff Bacon.
Also 2 cycle people lost local karters market for upgrading their stuff to newer equipment. A lot of chassis/packages for sale and they would love to sell it locally, but who would jump if club is not welcome 2 cycle racing or at least not showing any progress in entries.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33593

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Ihor, you obviously are not happy with the way things are at the GSKA and would like things changed. So instead of bashing, I would suggest you outline clearly what your recommendation is and how you would like to help make these improvements. In addition at what point would Michael race at GSKA.
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion goes against Darrin's and 2011 decision.

I suggest to :
* add all rotax classes on registration list;
* clearly state that any package is welcome to race and keep it in results page; (one time it is 1-2 entries, later it could be 3-5 or more)
* combine similar speed classes (or age or as insurance allows) together, score separately;

With clones only classes, as big as they can be, there is not enough money to go to AMP for once or few times a year. Who knows if clones will be interested to climb their elevation changes.

GSKA was created to be a club for all sprint karters in GA, not the one set of classes board (temporary) decided to be part of a "ladder".
bspek

Score: 5033

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Daniel..grab a yahama 2 smoker and join in!! I have had as much fun on this as the rotax..close to home..and we're probably up to 10+ regulars by counting the guys emailing me about next season. Engines around $600.. and get a wet clutch that lasts all season..Brian

Daniel White wrote:
Right now I'm 90% sure I will race Rotax, and I plan to race at Barnesville 3-4 times, perhaps more if the numbers go up (though I think that is unlikely). I really need to commit to going to CMP a time or two for a Friday practice / Saturday race day.

My other option is to ditch my Rotax and put a Yamaha can on my Arrow. I'm thinking about it, though I really enjoy the speed of a high-HP kart. Plus, I've never made the commitment to actually getting better; that is, getting coaching, practicing / testing enough, learning how to tune a carb, and using new tires. I'd probably regret selling my Rotax never having genuinely tried my best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> 2 Cycle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: