| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #13 Registration
2014-10-25 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
  GSKA 2014 Banquet Registration
2014-11-16 19:00:00 GMT+00:00
Monticello track is a blast!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinFrench

Score: 4287

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Monticello track is a blast!! Reply with quote

Another road trip...another huge smile on my face! For those who have not run Monticello, you have to find the time to get down for a race. That track is incredible and a really friendly group running the show.

...And a BIG thank you to Patrick and Jamie for helping me replace the balancing gears (3 times before we got it right) between heats and getting me back in for the main event!!
Kosmic Mercury #602
richie#89

Score: 8854

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really fun track and very different from barnesville, jax, and BCKC. the track diversity in this series is great. huge thanks to carl and rick for running this. and thanks to jim stump and cory m for lending us parts. don't know why we kept breaking so much stuff. and thanks to rick for getting us fast down there, and for not snoring too much so angus and i could sleep Laughing angus has a blast and his broken chain in the final didn't even upset him too much as he knew he learned a ton this weekend and we feel better prepared for Oklahoma!
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33772

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought you guys would enjoy!! It is by far the best track in the SE. Well Charlotte is better, but you can rarely race there.

What were the results???
KevinFrench

Score: 4287

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masters:
Keith Karr
Matt Tilden
Kevin French
Jim Stump
Patrick French
Corey Montgomery

Seniors:
Palmer Adams
Shelton Wright
Matt Tilden
Wes Green
Brandon Danke
Sean O'Connell
Jamie Maholick

Not sure about the younger ones....I didn't get to watch because I was replacing the balancing gears.
Kosmic Mercury #602
richie#89

Score: 8854

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there were only 3 in mini -
michael won, then there was a kid from florida who got second, and angus DNF'ed with a broken chain but it was still some great racing!

michael won qualifying with a 1:03.6, angus second with 1:03.7, florida boy (cory tulls i think) with 1:03.9

in pre-final, angus got pinched at start and it was michael, cory, then angus. cory and angus both passed michael, and then angus passed cory for the lead, but got loose and cory got angus back, and michael accidently ran into angus putting angus out of race (totally racing incident no fault of michaels at all). michael passed cory for the win after cory made a mental error running into the back of a lapper.

in final, michael was on pole and was first into corner #1. angus pinched cory off and was second. all three drivers took turns in the lead with alot of passing until angus' chain broke about half way through. michael held off cory for the last half of the race, and cory tried hard out of the last corner to pass michael, but wasn't able to and michael came across the finish with the victory!

michael raced great, and congratulations! i'm pretty sure michael also won the easykart race.

we missed jesse and connor. hope to see you guys out there next time.
Karl Rickert

Score: 909

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the staff at Monticello were glad to have you all down and we hope you come back for more!

Ya'll don't forget about the Champion of Champions race in December that you are now eligible to race to run now. Free racing , just purchase your pit pass and a whole day of karting fun!

Results are at:
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=423889

FKCS Chief of Timing & Scoring
www.flwkasprintseries.com

Nick's Dad
www.rickertracing.com
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29235

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching all races. Had more work with Matt's kart than Michael's. After second practice Michael asked me to leave chassis as is (I tend to make last minute changes) so I had plenty of time to watch other 2 rotax races.
SeniorMax: On Pre-Final start Palmer made move from 3rd to 2nd and next lap or two passed Shelton Wright. For the rest of the Pre-Final and Fnal he was confident first, stretching distance to Shelton inch by inch.
After loosing his 2nd qualifying position, Matt remained 3rd without contest. Jamie Maholick was 4th in Pre-Final but DNF in Final.

MasterMax: Solid pole lap time by Matt and he got DQ for weight. Coming from last to second in Pre-Final and best lap time 0.5 faster than Keith Karr and Matt got DQ for weight again. In Final race he moved from last to second again but this time Keith was too far and Matt's performance was not there (some last minutes adjustments I think). Cory and Kevin were solid all races but Cory's engine didn't want to finish. Jim Stump found some boost by the end of the final and passed Patrick in last lap to finish 4th.

MicroMax: Ross found speed earlier in the day with Connor Jevens second but improved 1 second a lap in Pre-Final. In Final race Ross visited the grass and had to finish 2nd in Final.

MiniMax: Michael pulled one great lap in qualification. Guys were almost drafting (5-6 karts distance) and were asked to stretch the distance. Michael did it twice (which resulted in 2 laps 3 seconds slower). I'm glad that first lap was good enough for pole while Angus 2nd and Corey 3rd were using new rubber. Leading the 3 kart pack in Pre-Final, Michael found a lap down Eazy60 at wrong place. While he brake behind him, Corey and Angus passed him. Half lap later Angus tried kamikaze pass in turn one and after touch Corey remained first and Angus slightly off the track. Michael hit his sidepod while Angus was making his way to asphalt, this time chain was off. Angus put it back and returned to the track not far in front of Corey almost a lap down. For some reason officials were not showing blue flag and Corey and Angus got together at the exit of turn 1. Michael used it to get first position with no changes to the finish.
In Final race Corey kept second place (outside position was not the best place to start) and started to bump draft Michael lap after lap. In lap 3 or so Corey pushed Michael in turn and had to come behind him to third position to avoid a black flag. With Angus first Corey and Michael worked their way past him in 2 kart train until Angus lost chain. Corey was waiting for a white flag. He looked faster and more confident he can make a move on the hill. Corey attempted a pass but Michael took center line position and was able to defend his position. On the finish Michael started celebrating and almost lost the race as Corey finished 0.053s behind.

In Easy60 Final Michael jumped into rented kart which spent last 4.5 months in a trailer at the track and made brilliant move 4th to first in one turn. Brian Lockwood stuck in third position and while he was working to make a pass, Michael was 2 seconds in front. Brian killed this gap in one lap and for the rest of the race was waiting behind for a white flag. Michael's kart was lacking top speed, especially up the hill and his lap time was a bout 1 second slower than in January in the same kart. Brian made a pass up the hill, Michael stayed with him and tried to make an unsuccessful move in esses before the checked flag. At the scales we realized that kart was too light. Nobody was thinking about scaling it at least once before the Final.

Hey, Clones, we also had fun Smile
Carl Cottrell

Score: 4846

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a blast too. Karl, you guys run a very good program and you are one of the best announcers I have heard at a kart track. Great job.

Congratulations to Connor Jevins on his first win in Micromax. Connor continues to improve every race and we are really enjoying the competition. Connor and Ross had a great race in the final both running their fastest laps of the day and nose to tail racing. At least until we spun. But it was some great racing.

Minimax races were awesome! All three karts were nose to tail, good passing and the final was just about a photo finish.

Donna said this is one of her favorite tracks. Great track, awesome racing, really nice people, and just a lot of fun.
Patrick French

Score: 3170

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I never figured out a setup, I thought that the other races were more fun to watch....
The MiniMax race was awesome! I couldn't tell if Corey got the black flag for bumping or if Michael got the black flag for asking for the draft.. Wink

Michael and Corey went past Angus on the back straight, where it looked like the draft was worth 2 or 3 mph... As soon as they got by, there was no chance for Angus to contend. After the entire race that Corey seemed faster on 2/3 of the track, he tried his pass on the back straight, then on the final turn, with Michael celebrating early, but he didn't have enough, and Michael won by several thousanths of a second. I wish I had the same ability as Michael holding off the faster kart. GREAT JOB to Michael... and what a fantastic race to watch.

Overall, what a great weekend! This is a GREAT sport we all have, here.
CRG, Rotax #08
Rick

Score: 5814

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to give another version of the race events Smile, and Carl has already posted his thoughts, so all I have to add is a big thanks to all you guys for attending this awesome event.

Having never even been to this track, but hearing how much fun this track is I knew we had to get it on our series, with that goal in mind we approached Karl Rickert and put it on our schedule, I would like to thank Karl, JC and Tim for allowing us to particpate with them.

We appear to actually becoming a SouthEast Super Series, with competitors coming from Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama and Florida, and from early reports all those competitors had a great time, and have indicated they are planning on attending our next SERSS event, which will be held at Barnesville, UNDER THE LIGHTS Cool (thanks to the efforts of the GSKA President, Bob Lefferdo for this event).

Although it has been reported, I would like to pass along my congratulations to first time class winner Connor Jevens, who joins us from South Carolina.

Congratulations to Keith Karr, one of our Alabama racers for winning the Raceway Motorsports provided racing gas.

Looking forward to the next event, June 13th, which will include our friends from Decatur AL as the first of the two race series between SERSS and BTK rotax series.

RS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> 2 Cycle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: