| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #9 Registration
2014-08-09 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
jesse, simon and ross,
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amax20

Score: 3643

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: jesse, simon and ross, Reply with quote

way to go Jesse number 1 simon number2, and ross number 5 on ekarting rotax final point standings. all in micro. The georgia rotax series placed 5 people in the top 5 points. Should say alot about the series. Good Job Carl and Rick. Hopefully there will be a couple more names on the list next year.

Good luck in Homestead to all.

Allen
Seeley

Score: 2948

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palmer Adams (Senior) and Brent Harper (Masters).

If we can talk Sikes into a brief layover/vacation in South Florida after the Daytona WKA event, we'll have all five drivers representing GSKA at the Florida Winter Tour.

Brent showed in Ocala that he has what it takes to win the Masters Championship, assuming his good-natured podium goading didn't bring Mad Max to run the whole series. Very Happy

Palmer has a battle ahead of him, the Senior starts can be best described as 'melee', and with a very deep talent pool, starting on the front row is very difficult. Palmer's youth and national racing experience are going to work to his advantage on the track, and his off-track game is going to have to be tiptop to remain up front.

Michael Bilyy will represent GSKA in MiniMax. Michael's racecraft growth during 2008 alone should help him move up from the battle for top ten to the battle for top five. Combine the exit of several top drivers to Junior and Michael becomes one of the 'old men' of the group which can only help his confidence. The recent announcement of his alliance with Arrow team O'Ward further improves his odds of success in the super competitive MiniMax class. Expert chassis prep before taking the track, and then tuning during the event should mean that Michael will be able to take advantage of all of the practices in their entirety and spend little time watching the action from a disabled machine. 2009 will be the year that we will see Michael begin to reach his potential, and hopefully will see him standing on several podiums amongst some of the best funded drivers in the sport.

I believe that this is Ihor and Michaels third FWT season, and if you've never attended FWT, this should be your first. While it's true that for most of us, there is little chance of a top five finish, but I don't think many would dispute that simply finishing in the top half of a class at FWT is an accomplishment worth noting. Drivers from all over the world attend, the depth of talent is arguably better than the Grand Nationals.

Immersion in a multiday racing event becomes a survival effort for the uninitiated, and the lessons learned from each weekend changes the team in a positive way. By the third weekend, the teams organizational skills, ability to predict track conditions, and reaction to adversity has become adequate and feels as such. However, at the first local event, with just one day to prepare for, and just one race to work towards, you find that you have what feels like an unfair advantage over those seen struggling around you. You suddenly see the stress caused by not being able to find a wrench, or waiting until the last minute to change a tire, or a canopy destroying itself and everything around it in the wind. You realize you have the time to think about the adjustments you want to make, make them, and then watch the people around you scramble and thrash just to make the next round.

FWT isn't the best thing in the world, but it is the best we've got in a reasonable distance, mostly in our off-season, and it is the best training ground I've ever experienced.

Throughout the year people will ask Brent and Palmer why they are so fast. They will buy the equipment that Brent and Palmer use, and may even buy their actual race-proven equipment. They will complain about the other drivers that hit them, or get in their way, and will wonder why Brent and Palmer rarely are involved in those mishaps. Equipment will fail, and the only reason they will be able to come up with for Brent and Palmers stout equipment is money, it must be new. Brent and Palmer will advise all that seat time and practice, other than GSKA racedays, is what prepares them for GSKA. Nobody will understand. Nobody will remember that they used 12 or more days in the presense of top level competition, possibly better than they are, at tracks other than B'Ville, to prepare for the locals at B'Ville.

Nobody will realize that while they were hanging out and reading/writing about karting and what-not on the internet, Brent, Palmer and Michael were racing. Brent, Palmer, and Michael will enter the first GSKA race without cobwebs on the kart or in their heads, while everyone else will be trying to figure out how much weight they need on their karts during practice.

Besides, win or lose, FWT is serious fun. Regarding the phrase "Serious Fun", ask Bill Wright where the idea came from.
Daniel White

Score: 6027

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you cleared that up, because I had no earthly idea why Palmer and Brent were so quick.

I'm certain, however, that circumstance and priorities play a significant role in determining why many of us are slower and / or inferior racers.
amax20

Score: 3643

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are numerous people that are good racers at the georgia series. Some have just started and are running good. Some just do not have the $$$$ to go on different tours. A weekend at the florida winter tour is not cheap. But than again racing,is not cheap and running up front requires both time and money. But with practice maybe we will all be that good one day.
Seeley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel White wrote:
I'm glad you cleared that up, because I had no earthly idea why Palmer and Brent were so quick.

I'm certain, however, that circumstance and priorities play a significant role in determining why many of us are slower and / or inferior racers.

Laughing Yeah, it's true that FWT and other National level races are a big commitment. Not everyone like you though realize that seat time and real testing make such a big difference. I'm not judging your priorities or commitment by any means, I have enough trouble with my own. What I'm trying to say is that if you could get a couple friends to join you as crew at the Homestead event, your biggest cost would be the tires needed for the weekend. Getting the day off work or school on Friday for practice/prequalifying is the next big hurdle. With shared driving, you can make it in one night after work/school on Thursday and be back home in time to shower for work/school on Monday. That's how Jeff Sikes and I did it last year (with Carl joining us by himself, which I have no idea how he managed that) and we had an absolute blast. In fact, that event is what caused me to abandon all of our other racing plans for Rotax last year.

Trust me, when we went last year, niether Jeff nor I expected much and would have been happy in the top ten. We were amazed at how well we were doing considering how little money we were spending. Jesse's chassis was rescued from the trash by Carl and loaned to us with his engine. He didn't even have a proper driving suit, and we were still welcomed and encouraged. Carlson, Speed, and others took the time to talk to us and the kids, not as celebrities, but to help us with setups and line.

Homestead is where I started learning how to mount my own tires. Even with our differences, Ihor felt so bad for me struggling in the heat that he brought me a tool to do it much easier. The phrase that described my efforts included monkeys and footballs. By Moroso, Jesse was changing tires better than I was, but at Ocala I was getting the idea. After a full season of two day races in Ocala and finally Shawano, I can finally swap tires between rounds if I need to. Big deal, I know... but it was a big deal when Carl and I had about 15 minutes to swap out old rain tires for not as old before the final race at Shawano for Ross.

FWT taught me how to replace and align a tierod, something I had to do several times in Shawano. I can remember when just about any problem with the kart was my signal to pack up and go home. That was just one year ago, now I believe I could even make a bent chassis drivable between rounds if I needed to.

You should come with us, you might have some fun...
Seeley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amax20 wrote:
But with practice maybe we will all be that good one day.

You already know you're that good Alan, you aren't fooling anyone. Cool That gives Conner a leg up, you already know what needs to be done and how to do it.

But for newbies like Daniel and I, the learning curve is a lot faster with extra practice and racing with large groups of extremely talented people.
Daniel White

Score: 6027

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be there in a heartbeat, Dale, but I made a profound error when I started karting:

I got married first. She will take some time to break.

My '09 goal is to practice / test about as much as I race. By comparison, in '08 I raced 9 times, and practiced only 4 times. I also want to take two trips: one to BTK, and one TBD.

I also plan to upgrade my hand tools and actually OWN my own alignment tools.

I know my chassis is not my biggest problem, but I already have tentative approval from The Boss to upgrade to a newer chassis for '10 (My Sodi is an '05).
wesgreene

Score: 3268

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Preparedness and practice are so much more important than race day and raw talent.
Everyone at GSKA should definately support our local club and attend all the races they can. That being said....
If you can't attend the FWT, I would suggest attending a couple of Ocala or BTK weekends. It get's you out of your comfort zone and pushes you to spend every free moment working on the kart or making changes to gain time on the track. That combined with experiencing different tracks should by default make you better prepared, competitive and able on raceday.

I know time is short... but I'm still working on a path to Homestead.
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29024

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its going to be our second FWT, just like Jesse's. Michael is only 10 and there are many 11, 12 and 13 y.o in a class (you have to be 13 before September 20 for Junior class).
I'm also realistic and some bad luck happens no matter how good you are.
If last year was our first ever big MiniMax race (the only more than 2 participant was 6 in Monticello) and we went through chassis change in the middle of it, this year I believe we are better prepared and with the "leading the race" experience from Ocala.
Aside from regular luck, I fear engine failure as our last top end rebuild was last year and 20 hours ago and bottom end almost 2 years ago. Engine is performing well (this is 2001 engine!) and we don't have money for rebuild and ability to spend at least 10 hours practicing before the event. Wish us luck. I know we will have complete rebuild after FWT.

FWT is a big event and no matter the result, it is a win-win for competitor.
Daniel (or anybody else), your wife can spend 2 days in Miami while you racing.
Jeff Sikes
Junior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 8367

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Allen, it is fun to see the local kids in the news! I have a feeling we will be seeing Conner's name a lot next year. He did set the track record for the class Jesse, Simon and Ross were in the news for last year!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> 2 Cycle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: