| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #9 Registration
2014-08-09 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
Too many rules ruin a good time
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clarence

Score: 8229

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Too many rules ruin a good time Reply with quote

I don't understand why there has to be so many classes and rules in karting. The allure of racing is the ability of engineering and coming up with ways to gain a performance edge using your noodle. I think real good low bucks racing comes from the ability to make things on your own, without having to buy the latest trick parts that have been deemed "legal". I say fewer rules the better. I may be wrong and this is only my opinion. Any thoughts? Very Happy
jeff standridge

Score: 2445

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Too many rules Reply with quote

Right on Right on Brother Arguing Arguing
Jeff Standridge #61 125cc Shifter
2007 GSKA 125cc Shifter Points Champion
2008 GSKA 125cc Shifter Points Champion
Daniel White

Score: 6072

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have a thought. Equal engines, equal tires, with tuning and driving making the difference.

ROTAX

Oh yeah, it has its own national championship (actually 2 for adults, senior and masters), its own winter series (in nearby FL) and can compete in TAG classes as well.
Mike Pugh
Race Director

Score: 34009

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why we have rules....Here is my new kart.

Wanna race ???

Sorry Clarence...Just messin with you.. .Like the pic??? Laughing
clarence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha i love it! Laughing
clarence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel White wrote:
Yes, I have a thought. Equal engines, equal tires, with tuning and driving making the difference.

ROTAX

Oh yeah, it has its own national championship (actually 2 for adults, senior and masters), its own winter series (in nearby FL) and can compete in TAG classes as well.

the last I checked, a rotax is ex pensive!
Carl Cottrell

Score: 4846

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on what you call expensive. My Micromax is 3 yrs old (2 yrs as a Senior) with no problems to date. We never miss a practice session unless I don't get out of bed early enough. And it's fast and the racing is close.

In my opinion it is the best value in Karting.
Chuck McCue
Banned User

Score: 5102

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rippinrace wrote:
This is why we have rules....Here is my new kart.

Wanna race ???

Sorry Clarence...Just messin with you.. .Like the pic??? Laughing

Bring It ON!!!!!!!!!!

Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29040

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Carl, my vote is on Rotax.
Here is the story of Michael's engine:
2001, one of the first serial numbers in US, was used by EJK to win Rotax Eastern Regionals in Florida in summer of 2006; installed junior cylinder for Florida Winter Tour for Arrive and Drive and used for Moroso and Ocala events in 2007 in class MiniMax; I bought it in May 07; we made 2 North Florida weekends, 3 Bakers Creek, 4 GSKA races and FWT Homestead double weekend in January of this year before $300 top end rebuild. After that: 4 GSKA, 8 Ocala, 2 BCKC, 2 Moroso, 6 days of National practice and racing in Shawano. Same clutch (since June 07), same carb, same exhaust (replacing $15 packing every few months) and radiator (replaced water 2 times). I went through couple of chains (5-6 for sure) and 2 clutch drums. The engine is an average Joe, making 12500 RPM on a very good day and sets lap time in Barnesville competitive with Senior/Master class. If its Micro, by turning just 9000 RPM that engine will not need a rebuild for a very long time (I've heard forever).

Clone is and will be popular for 2 reasons: extremely low price and local rules for people who don't care about racing outside local track. I may join it too after selling Cadet package we have.

Its been at least since $2/gal that cost of karting become not cost of package but cost of being able to travel for races. For people who stays local, I hardly see a reason to go TaG, Rotax or Shifter. I would say its a waste of money. Sooner or later you will go to other tracks and face a dilemma "go or no go" next time for a bigger or at least different competition. You can't do it with Clone, you can't stay home forever with TaG, Rotax or Shifter.

2c
clarence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spec class is just fine if you are spec class kinda person. I am not. I like the run whatcha brung deal. If I lose a race , I go home and make adjustments, do research, things like that. I don't have the funding to go buy the latest trick honda parts, so I make my own. It's the engineering I like the most about racing. I would like to see more allowences for home made chassis's and such.jm2c
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: