| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #11 Registration
2014-09-06 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
Opinion Piece - Arbitrary Award of Competition Points - Long
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29149

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Competitor is one who signed paper at the track and paid entry fee.

There are basically 4 options for rain:
1. All competitors will receive X amount of points (1st place or maybe 3rd place points).
2. We race in rain.
3. All go home.
4. Rain replacement dates in schedule.

1) is what we have.

2) less than a half (my guess) will be racing in the rain, once, maybe twice... its not fun to clean kart, tools, suit, etc. after local race. As a result, if rain is possible we will have less competition, less fun, less money, ...

3) if people will go home with their money back or moved to next race there is a big chance that next time if rain possibility is somewhat high, most people decides to stay home.

4) we don't have that, maybe next year ?..
Southern Star Karting

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My interpretation that 8/23 was a non-event was partially from my experiences in past racing, but primarily based on this rule defining point awards. Specifically that all point award determinations speak to a point of reference, "qualifying", as the start of progress toward a point award. The "automatic 25 point to all" rule addresses "what if", that qualifying (the very initial stage of competition for points), can not be completed.
A "shortened" event being one terminated prior to "completion" of qualifying.
It does NOT speak to a point prior to qualifying, such as practice, or earlier than that.
My contention is that you can not shorten something that hasn't begun

If you had been there earlier in the day registration was open , there were karts on the track practicing and everything was in place to go racing , It cost me $40 for myself,$20 for my son , and $15.00 for a rental transponder. If that is the price I need to pay to keep this club alive then so be it , the alternative to that would be have $10,000 plus of equipment sitting in the garage and trailer waiting for a new track to open or drive 4 or 5 hrs because the owner of the current track and paid officials did not get paid.
this is not pro racing and in most sports othere than professional if the other team dosen't show up or not have enough players the team that is there wins by default without actualy playing and its still a win for the team thats there.
I am sorry you are disappointed in the rules of the club , but, my solution to you would be to finish this season out and if at the start of the next season if the rules do not change to suit you then I would suggest you look to other clubs . I am sure you will find a Kart track and rules that are more to your preference.I am sorry to be so harsh sounding , but, this like yours is only an opinion and does NOT reflect the views of the club or board of directors.

I have been ask by at least 5 people in the past 2 weeks if I want to be on the Board of directors and if I do get nominated for this position I as a previous track owner and kart shop owner will do my best to make sure all the rules are timely , and in the best interest of the club, track owner , and membership.

ok I thru my hat into the ring now lets finish up this season on a positive note and move on to next year with a new elected board

thx

steve
nuthin fancy

Score: 1075

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The race date mentioned, I showed up at the track with all intentions to race. Obvious, with the rain threat (I CHOSE) even up to the members meeting at the tower (We took a vote to wait until 1pm to finalize the decision to call the race,weather pending) to actually pay registration. The race was called. No points were awarded to me.With all replies to your post read I understand this to be somewhat triveal,(THE CHOSE OF EFFORT) was decided to follow through with the arriving to race,I received the same as anyone who did'nt attend.Expenses occur to those who show up and are rained out. The monetary cost is different (THE RESULT WAS THE SAME) JMO.

nuthin fancy
P.S
The club values its members ,its guests,its staff,its attendance,and your concerns !!!
Larry Rahl

Score: 60

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The End.

I thank you, Ihor, for the official determination of what a competitor is.
"sign form in person"

I thank you Steven for an accurate description of what the conditions were at the time.
"there were karts on the track practicing and everything was in place to go racing"

I thank you nuthin fancy for the description of how the "Rain out" decision was made.
"by vote"
And, how the points award issue was addressed.
"by choice to pay"

Since I have been officially set straight, this opinion discussion is closed.

I think it is fascinating how my opinion, and expressing it, has been received (or not).
Some very interesting responses on a few different issues.

I understand, and expected, that the most vocal defenders of the application of policy, in a unique situation, were those who directly benefited from the decision.
And the Team I was with, that chose not to attend, then forfeited the choice to pay for points, and an extra official race.
While I still do not agree with the concept of gaining competition points without competing, I accept that it is so, how, and why.
It is in the Rules.

I apologize to GSKA, the BOD, and all other members, that my opinion has brought out such negative responses.
It has never been my intention to cause harm, or suggest overthrow of the Government.
I thought a point should be discussed here. My mistake, and lack of understanding.

Steven,
Thank you.
I do, Now, know what commitment is. And, sadly, I can't afford it.

I am also sorry to tell you Steve, that since you uninvited me from the club, I will not be voting for you.

Is that the "Your way, or the Highway" platform ?

Thanks for the experience.
Larry Rahl

PS
I have apparently burned bridges, before I got too them.
Southern Star Karting

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I am also sorry to tell you Steve, that since you uninvited me from the club, I will not be voting for you.

I was speaking from me personaly when I said the club may not be for you and in my opinion its not.

I really do not care if you vote for me or not, and quite frankly I do not care if I get nominated or not. As far as me benefiting from the rain out I went by the rules and lived by the rules and spent my money by the rules. Racing is a expensive sport and obviously you can't afford it or you and your team would have put the extra effort in and drove to the track to help support the club as did many others from a lot further away than you.

The only thing I can say is " READ THE RULE BOOK "

I take it that you will be running for president next election and you WILL have my vote...
clarence

Score: 8229

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't we all, just get along?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: