| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #13 Registration
2014-10-25 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
  GSKA 2014 Banquet Registration
2014-11-16 19:00:00 GMT+00:00
Toe: What should we run?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
metzgerov

Score: 1620

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Toe: What should we run? Reply with quote

What are you guys running for toe settings?

I know the dynamics of what the setting does but I am wondering if running any toe is worth it on the Clones since the power is so low the extra friction down the straights outweighs the benefits.

Also if anyone has a resource for diff alignment setting in general for karting and what they do. I have an arrow kart guide which is good but doesnt tell anything about camber/toe.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33772

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Euro chassis you are going to set the toe at 2mm toe out. This really depends on the chassis design and how the kart is working. We have some karts where we will set the toe as much as 8mm toe out.

What do you have it set now and is the kart understeering or oversteering at entry: mid or Exit?
metzgerov

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it set 2mm out.

I think it handles pretty well overall.
It feels pretty balanced but tends toward understeer unless I trail brake it pretty hard(which I usually do). But looking at my data I think I found a faster way so I am looking to looses it up a lot and not trail much at all.
The right hander is where its getting killed but toe wont help it there!

But that makes sense. Thanks John!
Michael Jackson

Score: 5336

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do your axle like you told me you were planning on, might want to wait and see how it responds. More than 1 adjustment at a time and you are guessing at which one worked. Barnesville is neutral or 1/8 out in my opinion. Ask Carter and Mike what they recommend
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane,
Definately get away from trail braking. There are time that you might you it, but rare. Roll speed through the corner is critical. If you are trail braking you are not going to have the roll speed.

In addition, you say you are pushing. Now you have to ask yourself where are you pushing (what corners). Then ask yourself if you are pushing on entry of the corner, mid corner or exit. Adjustments can be made there.

Getting off the right hander is very critical. This is my biggest problem, but I think I will have it fixed soon. Very Happy
metzgerov

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have done more than one adjustment this week Smile Some are drastic some not too much. Either way they should help. If not no biggie I'll change it back. I really only care to win so if it makes me slower this week then I change it around for next time.

I shortened my axle but not enough I think since the keyways are only a certain length so I was limited how much I can cut...but we will see it should at least tell me if its in the right direction.

As far as handling T1 it pushes on entry till I get on the gas, after that its fine.

Basically the biggest problem I feel is when the wheel is turned it has no power. The Monza and Right hander this is most evident. Grip wise the monza and R Hander are a piece of cake flat out but almost ever kart takes off from me through there. Ive tried various lines through that whole section and nothing really changes that fact.

So if i could get some "diff" effect from the kart lifting the inside wheel I think it would take some load off the motor and help it accelerate while turning better. Its all a learning experience this year so hopefully I am doing the correct thing. I gained over 2 secs from the start of the year but this last second will be much tougher I think.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane,
Cutting your axle will help free up the kart. If the kart is pushing on entry, widen the front or add some positive camber.
Michael Jackson

Score: 5336

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John you sure you want more positive camber? I believe it should be more positive caster.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you can add positive camber. Adding caster can help too, but I thought Shane already had full caster.
metzgerov

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Positive camber will help the chassis transfer weight better I believe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> 4 Cycle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: