| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
Rotax grouping this weekend
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Southern Star Karting

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well EXCUSE me .

I think this decision would be up to the race director for GSKA and that would be John W.
Alan Parris

Score: 3756

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a TaG Motor is not an "open" motor, it still has regulations just like rotax does...the only difference is that Rotax limits their builders and TaG does not.

-AP

AP Karting-Sodi Atlanta
Sodi / Itaka / BOXS/ KF/ Rotax/ TaG/ HPV
Patrick French

Score: 3170

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote on running Rotax Senior and Heavy together and run Tag and Tag Heavy together.
I agree that we want to run as many karts on the track at one time, but the different timing in power bands between the Rotax and Tag engines creates a bad scene in Monza... I have a nice, bent rear bumper to show what can happen.
CRG, Rotax #08
Daniel White

Score: 6244

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just confirming what Kevin said: I'm renting my Rotax to a guy who will race TAG.

Generally, I don't have any issues with combining TAG and Rotax but this time I hope they're separated.
Southern Star Karting

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick French wrote:

I agree that we want to run as many karts on the track at one time, but the different timing in power bands between the Rotax and Tag engines creates a bad scene in Monza...

Patrick I agree with you.

If I think what you are saying is that it is a safety issue.

If it is deceided that the TaGs should not combine with the Rotax then I think the club should look at the practice of allowing Rotax karts to enter TaG classes. I understand that some Rotax drivers rent their karts to others to enter the Tag classes, but with what you said previously that creates a very unsafe condition.

A Rotax , a driver unfamiliar with that kart , the lack of experience in some cases with the renter of that kart. the spec tires and the difference in power bands add up to create a very unsafe condition for the TaG drivers.

I think this is something that the board should look at before somebody gets seriously hurt.

One suggestion that I have would be that if a kart is entered in a Rotax class that the kart is not eligable for the TaG class that race day.

please lets keep this conversation at the level it is now and maybe some positive ideas will result. If you have constructive ideas please add to this disscussion.
Daniel White

Score: 6244

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take is that getting hit from behind--particularly when accelerating out of the Monza--is a driver issue more so than a kart issue. Here are the two scenarios:

If that kart is being lapped, the overtaking driver needs to be patient, as he has the straight to get it done and a "driver overtaking" flag waiting for the driver in front of him.

If the kart is not being lapped, he needs to hold his line, and then it's the overtaking driver's responsibility to ensure no contact is made with the kart ahead. Once he gets his front wheel halfway up the kart he's trying to pass, responsibility begins to shift and be shared.

Last edited by Daniel White on Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
wesgreene

Score: 3268

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve- I think your getting off topic a bit. The original question concerns the combining of rotax seniors and masters. But since you're there.....

The racers have discussed the issue of combining tag and rotax many times over the past couple of years. If you search the forum you'll find that there are many opinions on the topic. I personally enjoy racing in tag class with a rotax when I can. There isn't much difference in motor. Definately not a safety issue. The big difference is tires. A tag in rotax has the advantage of open tire vs. mojo. While the d2 is better. It's still a spec tire. A rotax in tag can run equal or better tire.

Now back on topic. There are some close races for points in both masters and seniors rotax classes. Because of that, I would vote that all classes stay seperated.
Patrick French

Score: 3170

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that any rules need to be changed. I just feel that it is up to the driver to understand what he is up against when entering a class. (I would have no problem, at all, of entering my Rotax into a Tag race right now.) The D2s help to equalize the power, and if I happen to get hit while driving in a Tag race, it was my decision to race with faster karts.

If the driver is new, and is not used to the kart, he is supposed to place a large "X" on his helmet until he is up to a safe speed (per club rules).

Overall, Daniel is right on the money saying that it is the passer's responsibility to make a clean pass up until the nose is visible by the passee. Then it becomes both drivers' responsibilities.
CRG, Rotax #08
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33692

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, I plan to recommend that for 2009 at least for Tag we go to the Spec tire, which is Bridgestone YHC. This tire is on par with the D2 and actually might be a tenth or two slower.

As to the Monza, from personal experience of driving both a Tag and Rotax. I can tell you that mid corner in the monza, the Rotax is definitely faster.
Southern Star Karting

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I brought this up was because last race not very many TaG karts showed up and not very many Rotax showed up , I was told by the club president ( jeff bacon) that after the rotax qualifiers were over that rotax and tag would be combined .

It is a question that needs to be adressed before race day .

Maybe the Board could give some insight as to future plans for the rest of this year and if we have to have 4 separate races ( TaG , TaG heavy , Rotax Sr. and Rotax master) then so be it . I don't mind either way , but, I would like to know before I show up saturday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> 2 Cycle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: