| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
Coil...Bad or Not??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinFrench

Score: 4287

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Coil...Bad or Not?? Reply with quote

First of all....Thanks to Wes and Cory for lending me some parts to keep me in the race on Saturday!

Saturday was one of those days, where it was all I could do just to keep the kart running. After experiencing what I believed to be a coil going bad, I borrowed one from Wes and the kart started running again. I thought I would just order a new one and be done with it...then I checked the prices online. After seeing a price of $410 - $520 I want to make absolutely sure I need this.

How can I check out my coil to determine if it's bad? Is there anything that can be done to recondition a coil if it is bad? Any advice would be appreciated before I throw more money at the problem.

Thanks,
Kevin
Kosmic Mercury #602
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33773

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,
I am not aware of any way to repair a coil. I think you are stuck with purchasing a new one. Sounded to me that your coil was bad with it cutting out.
KevinFrench

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm struggling with this one. I have been considering a rebuild, prior to this, so now I'm looking at a coil, plus a rebuild. I might just try to find a lightly used motor and buy the whole thing. The cost of these Rotax repairs are about to force me into strapping a clone on my chassis!!
Kosmic Mercury #602
Michael Jackson

Score: 5336

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easiest way to check the coil is a wide gap on your spark plug removed and grounded. A good coil can jump a wide gap easily. It should be a bluish color. If it is red it is weak. Only problem is yours might be heat related and that wouldn't detect it probably. They have coil testers but you need to know the resistance values to diagnose it properly.
Clones would accept you even if you are from the other side of the tracks. (Rotax $$$) Jeff would love to have another Heavy entry.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33773

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,
Just think, you can buy 3 Clone motors for the price of the Coil. Very Happy And better yet, No Rebuilds, just buy another motor and strap it on.
Michael Jackson

Score: 5336

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priceless quote from John about 3 Clones. However that is the truth. A good local option engine for the budget minded racer. May not be as fast but the fun factor and competition is still there.
Rick

Score: 5814

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil...Bad or Not?? Reply with quote

KevinFrench wrote:
. I thought I would just order a new one and be done with it...then I checked the prices online. After seeing a price of $410 - $520 I want to make absolutely sure I need this.

Kevin
Maybe you should have checked with me, I believe I have always been able to treat you right on prices.
Since the coil you borrowed was off of the Raceway shop/loaner engine, and it worked, we might even could have worked a deal on that one.

Rick
wesgreene

Score: 3268

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin- I would strongly advise having Rick do you a rebuild. He'll also do you better on a coil than any website.
Unless you know the seller, in my opinion, used motors are just to risky. No matter how good the deal may look.
KevinFrench

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,
The first thing I always do after a race, is put a price list together so I know how much to budget for my needed repairs. I had every intention of ordering from you and I do appreciate your loaner coil that Wes provided. However, there aren't any prices on your website that I could look at on a Sunday morning to get an idea of what this was going to cost me.

I've bought my kart from you, battery, tie rods, all of my tires, my gas when available....should I go on? I continue to support your business and hope that you will continue to support me as a customer and racer.

Kevin
Kosmic Mercury #602
Rick

Score: 5814

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin
No problem, I will always take care of my local cutomers, which I totally consider one one of my best. I don't put prices on my site due to the time it takes to make sure it is updated and I really don't look to have many customers out of the Atlanta area buy off the site.
You know we will be there for you and all the Atlanta Rotax racers.

Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> 2 Cycle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: