| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #13 Registration
2014-10-25 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
  GSKA 2014 Banquet Registration
2014-11-16 19:00:00 GMT+00:00
Help needed in timing and scoring, scales
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richie#89

Score: 8854

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john, i think you have a great idea, but what's the chance it could be held during the lunch break on race days, and mandatory for junior racers? the problem with a clinic on an off day, as i see it, is that many will not come. and then, if some are racing clean cause they've been instructed, and others don't cause they didn't come to the clinic, then frustrations will be very high.

i still think a 5-10 minute talk going over basics would at least get the kids to start thinking that some things are okay and others are not.

we're all coming from different backgrounds. it took a little while for us to learn etiquette. we actually came from a sport where we practiced take out moves. i've had to work to get that out of his head, and it would have helped if angus would have heard at drivers' meetings that overly aggressive driving would not be tolerated. but he hasn't heard that yet from anyone but me, and questions me about that every time he gets the door slammed on him.
Southern Star Karting

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry John , I didn't mean you said a driver clinic, it was in a previous post in this disscussion and I wanted to clarify it was more of a safety clinic.

I would be willing to help and am also willing the help organize a class before next racing season . I also would be willing to do a powerpoint production with questions that would be like more of a fun quiz that jrs and new racers could take online and have to pass before they are allowed on the track.This could be put on the website for anyone anytime to do so that to be physicaly present at the race track is not nessacary.
steve
JoshuaWarren

Score: 8507

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can someone write up a test?

I would like to see what I know.
Clone Senior
Rick

Score: 5814

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wehrheim wrote:
Rick and Steve,
Like I said and have posted, who wants to do a clinic. In no way have I suggested driver coaching in this thread or my other post under discussions.

I don't remember bringing this up to you, I posted to Jeff's comments about a driving school.
I don't see how it would take 30-60 minutes to tell people "if someone is inside of you going into a corner give them room to race, if you are inside someone going into a corner dont use them to make the turn, don't weave down a straight, that is considered blocking, which I see in a previous post you have said it is legal to block Shocked and don't hit someone's rear bumper getting into a corner. If you do any of these you will be black flagged". This should be done during alteast every other drivers meeting, considering that is the purpose of a drivers meeting. Then actually use the flag if necessary.
amax20

Score: 3643

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richie#89 wrote:
we didn't know the rules, but connor maxwell clued us in after angus did him wrong months ago

so he is listening after all. Very Happy take it from somebody who has had many black flags and who has deserved every one. talk about it in the drivers meeting. let the little ones know what is expected and then use the flag (black). Dads should be preaching to the kids from the first time they step into the kart that you dont zig zag down the straight away, (instant punt if i am behind you), you dont use the other kart for your brake to get into the corner, and your hand always comes up when you are getting off the gas pedal to exit the track or for a crash situtation.. All of this is as basic as it comes and can be handled with out power point and slides or professional drivers (ha). Just cover it in the drivers meeting. That by the way is what a drivers meeting should be about.(jmo) Smile
richie#89

Score: 8854

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe amax should lead this part of the drivers' meeting since he has so much experience with the black flag Laughing

btw - whenever i have a question, i now ask connor, he has been listening. and i'm not telling our lap times anymore, either! something else i learned from connor.
Southern Star Karting

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amax20 wrote:
All of this is as basic as it comes and can be handled with out power point and slides or professional drivers (ha). Just cover it in the drivers meeting. That by the way is what a drivers meeting should be about.(jmo) :)

Sorry , I will take back my offer to help with jr and newcomer instruction , why with previous quote we can always revert back to the good ole days of waiting until after the races and having a very private talk with the other driver

or if I am reading between the lines amax20 is offering to do the instruction at the drivers meeting , I guess its all settled huh ?
Darrin Tebbe
Out to pasture

Score: 28561

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wehrheim wrote:

As to blocking, this is allowed, provided that weaving back and forth does not occur. You are allowed to make one move. Although if done consistently by a driver, this should be addressed.

This is what I've always thought about blocking as well. For me it's more one move, one time, for one position. If I get a run on a guy one time and he blocks me by making one move, that's OK. If I'm .2 sec quicker and he does it every lap, he/she is getting moved after the 2nd time.

As far as "shutting the door" that's a tough one. If a guy gets 1/2 a kart inside, you have to give them the room (unless you like scratches on your helmet), but you don't have to make the pass easy either.

Just my .02

DT
Mike Pugh
Race Director

Score: 35275

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the last few posts about driver etiquette has covered the bases and we just need to convey this to our Jr's in the drivers meeting.
I also agree with an official in the tower with a radio.Doesn't have to be the race director.
We all have been victim's at one time or another and black flags can solve allot of things.

Also I believe this thread got hi-jacked.
Quote:
A lot of talk, but still no second timing person.

Still no volunteers in timing and scoring ?