| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #9 Registration
2014-08-09 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
Help needed in timing and scoring, scales
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick

Score: 5814

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wehrheim wrote:
Rick,
I have to disagree on one aspect on your suggestion. There have been numerous times where I had to be on the track to get the racers lined up and slowed down properly. You can not be two places at once. In addition, the race director needs to be mobile. Whether on the grid, start finish, scales, tower etc.

You are selling, I am not buying. Doesn't GSKA own radios, I think that would be close to being in two places at once.
Oh yeah here is my Very Happy
richie#89

Score: 8851

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't help, cause it's all i can do to get angus on the grid in time for his 2 classes. since i can't help, i know i should keep my mouth shut, but ... if you're going to add a new position, could you guys consider also adding a new component to the racing. i've been reading rules books, etc. and have found out that there are driving rules that it seems many of the drivers, us included, don't know about. angus should have been black flagged a few times. others should have had the black flag as well i've seen. the kids aren't learning to race well, as they block and take each other out. i've been getting into the habit lately of 'de-briefing' angus so he's prepared for other races where driving rules are followed. it would be great for all the kids if driving rules were explained at the drivers' meeting and then penalties were given out as needed so our drivers learn to race correctly and can show on the podiums at big events. also, instructions to lappers would be great. if there's a new position, maybe that person could also keep an eye out for incorrect driving, which would benefit all of us, and keep repair costs down.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33487

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus,
I would be happy to have a clinic for all drivers, but this should be a separate day. You can not do this justice in 15 - 30 minutes. Please keep in mind that it is the parents and drivers responsibility to read the WKA rule book. Rules are outlined in considerable detail.

In addition, please provide more specifics on the situations why a black flag should be thrown. This will help me better understand your concerns.

As to blocking, this is allowed, provided that weaving back and forth does not occur. You are allowed to make one move. Although if done consistently by a driver, this should be addressed.

As to the lap karters, I have had several discussion with our new karters and lapped karters and most times they obey the blue and yellow flag. In addition, if I see a karter weave I will have discussions with them.
Southern Star Karting

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richie , I suggested this a long time ago , but, had no takers. We NEED training for new and junior racers .

Also with the permission of the BOD I would like to check transponder location as karts come across scales. Last race I observed at least 2 karts with transponder on front bumper under nose cone.

would this be ok?

post a long time ago

http://www.georgiasprintkarting.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1182&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
jeff bacon

Score: 15140

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would anyone be interested in a GSKA driver's school at the track? There are a number of professional instructors out there, but the ones I know personally are Chris Wehrheim and Jim Hanson. I am sure that one or both would do a group training session that could keep the cost down per kid, maybe $20 to $30 each. Let me know what you think.
www.jeffsgarageandspeedshop.com
www.gakartsales.com
Rick

Score: 5814

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that is what was meant in a previous post, what is being asked is that sometime during a drivers meeting, the policies of driving lines and what is allowed and not allowed during a pass be addressed, then consistently controlled. There are a lot of new racers right now and it seems there is a lot of confussion with this issue. I don't think a "driving school" will address this. As a fact, the guy who made the post uses one of your professionals and he as asking the question.
richie#89

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my biggest issue with black flag or penalty situations is where a kart gets half a kart under another in a turn and the kart getting overtaken shuts the door and takes out both karts. if i'm reading the rule book correctly, then the kart getting overtaken must give room to the inside kart who is overtaking. this is a situation that is becoming an issue for us. we didn't know the rules, but connor maxwell clued us in after angus did him wrong months ago.

i think that in a drivers' meeting that if someone explained that rule, and the lapper rule, it would be a big benefit. i bet if you did a poll, most of the kids wouldn't know that you have to give room if someone gets half a kart under you. also, if lapper instructions were given to everyone, then everyone would be on the same page. i was assuming that lappers would get off the racing line, but i've been told that the correct method is that lappers stay in their line and overtakers move off line to pass. we're still learning and i've given angus bad instructions on getting around lappers, because we didn't know what was being told to them. those being overtaken and those overtaking need to be on the same page.

also, i didn't know blocking was okay. especially this last race with a fast kid on our heels, i went over with angus about riding defensively (middle of the track), but i told him he couldn't leave his line to block. that should probably be addressed in the meeting as well just so everyone is on the same page.
richie#89

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't get me wrong, though. you guys do a great job and we're learning tons and having fun.
Southern Star Karting

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Rick , 90 % of the jrs and new karters know the basic of getting around the track , but, not sure what to do as far as rules, procedure and most of all Track Ediquitte ( ok I spell lousy) . A situation was averted last weekend after Tag qualifing , Chip due to his lack of prerace instructions he was not sure what to do in different situations. Being a new driver he had Kerry and I stacked up in the monza and if we had not been able to shut down quickly we both would have run over him. After qualifing I took it upon myself to have a very productive talk with him. He listened and ask questions and absorbed what we were talking about. The next heat race Chip was one of the most curtious , safest , and repsonsive to his surrondings driver I have raced with. This short talk made a world of difference and unless I am mistaken he understood what I was saying and acceptd it in the best way possible . ( THANK YOU CHIP)

We really don't need a driving coach to knock tenths off a time , we need a saftey school for new racers.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33487

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick and Steve,
Like I said and have posted, who wants to do a clinic. In no way have I suggested driver coaching in this thread or my other post under discussions. In fact, I said this would not be driver coaching.

In addition, to do this properly, this probably needs to be a 30 - 60 minute discussion with the Juniors. This will require visuals if it is going to be done properly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: