| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #10 Registration
2014-08-23 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
weather June 28th
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brantley French

Score: 3050

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: weather June 28th Reply with quote

Ok so I know that everyone is a little bit hyped up to race next weekend because they got rained out last weekend. so i checked the first available reports and weather.com states that there is a 20% chance and the high is 92. so i know it will change so ill update this thread.... and cross your fingers because i dont want to drive 60 miles and watch rain fall ..
Mike Pugh
Race Director

Score: 34500

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the rain policy ?
On May 5th I qualified with rooster tails behind me with standing water on the track .
Then the track was drying during the heat race , and dry as a bone before the main .Very Happy

This past race the track was allot drier and the sky looked allot better but the race was called .Crying or Very sad

.....Hmmm ???Upset

Not complaining , just trying to clarify ????
Brantley French

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was driving off complaining to my dad that the sky was clearing and that if you give the track 30 mins and get some karts out there... the track wouldve dried.
Daniel White

Score: 6172

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: weather June 28th Reply with quote

Brantley French wrote:
Ok so I know that everyone is a little bit hyped up to race next weekend because they got rained out last weekend. so i checked the first available reports and weather.com states that there is a 20% chance and the high is 92. so i know it will change so ill update this thread.... and cross your fingers because i dont want to drive 60 miles and watch rain fall ..

Weather forecasts a week prior aren't all that reliable. One should really start to pay attention about three days out. For example, there was a 20-30% chance of rain a week before our last race. The following Thursday it shot up to 70%.

Earlier this season we had rain forecasts of 90-100%, and it certainly rained, but only curtailed practice. The rain stopped but during qualifying the track was still wet. The first race was held on a wet but quickly drying track, but the final was dry. Got all our racing in that day.
Brantley French

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i just like to feel like im helping by populating the forums. but we will know for sure by friday
Daniel White

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you getting closer to getting a kart, Brantley? With your height, I'd say Margay Limo with a Yamaha Pipe for a year or, if you want to start with a 4-cycle, go with a clone for a paltry $120--the class is growing at GKSA.

The Margay site sells used chassis as well as new, and sometimes they have a Limo available. I saw an almost new one for $2200 earlier this winter.

Rotax wouldn't be a bad choice because our club has decent numbers, but it's a big learning curve, as well as a higher initial costs.

If you are going to wait until next season, check the ekarting classified site--many tend to sell their stuff at the end of the season. Some of the deals are quite good. But there is that caveat about buying online from individuals . . .
Brantley French

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really... im just going to wait until i can get enough start up money for it... i might have the kart by september and then ill probably used any race days as practice and go full force next season

im seriously looking at rotax because ive seen the support for it. any suggestions that i need to do to look into running it at GSK?

o and i got that book which isnt that bad.
Daniel White

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(This is just my experience, and these are my notions from my experience. But I'm very new at this, and anyone should feel free to add to or emend any of this.)

Brantley,

I was fortunate to get an engine with a fresh rebuild--in many respects a new motor--from Alan Parris, who races at the track. I probably wouldn't buy a used motor unless I knew the individual selling it, or if that person didn't race at Barnesville. So with that in mind--and assuming you are like me, with little technical or mechanical knowledge about karting--your best option for obtaining and maintaining a Rotax is Rick. He has enormous experience and supports several drivers at Barnesville. He's an excellent, proven tuner and all his drivers do very well. His shop is reasonably close to you, and Rick even goes to other tracks and events to support his drivers. Up front, the motors are expensive, but if you are going to be in the sport for a few years, it makes sense financially because maintenance intervals are vastly longer than any other two-cycle motor.

As for my chassis, I also saw Alan race my kart a couple of times as he was trying to sell it. I knew it was straight and hadn't been bent. If buying used, you can't be certain of this unless you scale the kart (put the kart on scales and weigh all four corners), but like I mentioned, I saw my particular kart in action. He also races a great deal at Barnesville, and I get a lot of support and advice from him (and his dad).

You issue is your height, and your options are:
1) be cramped
2) buy a longer chassis (from what I know, only Margay makes a "stretched" chassis, the Limo version, which is two inches longer than their standard chassis)
3) Buy or fabricate an extended "porch" for any chassis, which may have an adverse effect on the handling of your kart. This scenario seems to require that you scale your kart.

A new Rotax package will cost upwards of 7000-8000. But you CAN get a very good used package for half that. And you don't have to get the latest chassis model to be quick. Kevin French got his 5-year old chassis (but it had never been used) from Rick and he's quite fast. Jamie Maholik holds the senior Rotax track record and his chassis is an older one as well.

I see you are looking at the clone class as well. You can get into this class for as little as $1000-1500 (used). It's significantly slower than Rotax but the guys I know who race clones have a blast, and the racing is close. You will learn how to race and if you are on a budget, or are not certain about your level of commitment, this option makes even more sense.

Hope this helps.
Mark Benton

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your eyes peeled for the deals. I found my '02 Rotax/Birel (about 10 hrs on engine) for $2300 back in '05. Prices have gone up since then, but you can find something under $3000 to get you started if you look hard enough. Check the classifieds on ekartingnews daily.
Southern Star Karting

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Used karts Reply with quote

Hey Brantley , I bought a used extreme and leopard TAG engine last december for $2400 used from Florida including spare rims and body , I havn't done a thing to it except for a few minor repairs actualy under $200.00 , Its running around a 23.7 at barnesville and I am 40 lbs over weight and on hard tires. So keep a look out near the end of the season , but , be careful don't buy something because you think its a good deal ask around and most reputable dealers or racers will give you the truth.

steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: