| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
muffler packing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richie#89

Score: 8854

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: muffler packing Reply with quote

i see that a disqualification occurred because of muffler packing. i'd asked on another forum about re-packing as the muffler is riveted and i got an answer that i can pop off rivets and re-pack per the rotax manual. anyone know if this is right, and if i can use our old mx packing materials?
Dale Seeley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Marc Miller on the MRP website in response to your post there;

"Here is the RotaxMax rules regarding exhaust:

You may repack by removing rivots then removing stinger. The replacement packing must be an original Rotax packing from an authorized Rotax Service Center.

The rivots must then be replaced with BOLTS."

Looks pretty clear to me
richie#89

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks dale. marc changed his post from when i checked it. first he said 'no'. i'm guessing due to the controversy in FL that you have to use all the rotax packing.
Rick

Score: 5814

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richie, This is one area that can be addressed by the engine owner and not the service center.  However, you are correct in that you must use the rotax part number only and you must use all of the packing.  After some lengthy conversation with our distrubutor this morning we have come up with a couple of possible ideas to ensure that there is no competitve edge gained.  It was a misfortunate issue that brought this to light and the powers to be at rotax will have a fix for it in the near future.While this is an area the engine owner is allowed to address, you should ask Dale about the importance of replacing the packing correctly, I will be glad to show you how to do it once it is necassary to change your packing. You have not operated you engine nearly long enough to need this at this time.I do stock this packing at all times as it is a big tuning item with the big rotax pipe.Let me know if you need any assistance with your rotax engine in the future.

Rick Sweeting
GA RMax Series Director
richie#89

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks rick, next time i see you, i'd like to get some packing as i go overboard with the maintenance. i read somewhere to replace it every 10 hours. that's about what i did with motorcycles. sound right?
Dale Seeley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My OEM packing was removed at the race on Sunday, it was not burned or blown, but I got pretty good at replacing it after every session... Mad

Installing it improperly is a bad idea, we lost a little over a 1000 rpm and a final race because I ran out of time to reassemble the kart after tech and just shoved in the packing that I had previously installed before the Pre-final.

Get used to replacing it after qualifying, each heat, and the final if Rotax doesn't come up with a way to seal the pipes or eliminate the packing. At $15 each, it sucks to throw it away every 10 laps.
Rick

Score: 5814

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale,
I promise you that replacing the packing after qualifing, pre-final, final will not be the procedure at the GA RMax challange, as I am sure this will not be the procedure at any RMax challange. But, at $15 each.. 3 times a day...5 micros.....huuummm. Just kidding Laughing I actually think we should thank Mr. Wood for showing us actually what a parent will do to win, even the micro max class, this will no doubt have rotax looking at how they approach this class.

Rick Sweeting
GA RMax Series Director
Chuck McCue
Banned User

Score: 5102

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richie#89 wrote:
i read somewhere to replace it every 10 hours. that's about what i did with motorcycles. sound right?

Depends on the way the motor is run. If you run it lean at WOT 60% of the time like at Jax you will want to change it more frequently. At a little track like B'ville it expect not as much. Use your My Chron we sold you and track RPMs and temps. A sure sign of needing repacking is your rpms will drop at WOT. I like the idea of placing a sticker on the silencer to determine wether the packing is burnt out. We have stacks of packing whenever you need it.
Dale Seeley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck McCue wrote:
A sure sign of needing repacking is your rpms will drop at WOT.

Actually, they go up... With a correctly burned up packing, in excess of 10K rpm is seen on a medium sized track.

The sure sign of needing to repack it is that disapproving look from the tech man.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> 2 Cycle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: