| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #14 Registration
2014-11-01 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
  GSKA 2014 Banquet Registration
2014-11-16 19:00:00 GMT+00:00
Hello and a couple questions about getting started
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29335

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richie#89 wrote:

this time around there will be no big tent for us, just me, angus and rick!

why did you miss last race (03/0Cool?
richie#89

Score: 8854

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our kart hasn't come in yet. shooting for CMP next weekend
Adam78

Score: 98

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the warm welcome and for all of the responses, advice, and wisdom. I have spent some time researching the information provided. I am planning on coming this weekend to the first race so I can see all the classes and racing first hand. I will also try and meet as many of the people as I can. This seems like a really good group of racers.

Home Track: Based on my location, Barnesville is my closest track and will be my home track. AMP is the second closest. I am targeting this two tracks initially. I am willing to travel as well, just want to get my feet under me first. I have a lot to learn.

Classes: I started looking at Yamaha and TAG mainly because of my prior run time (about 40 laps) in a Yamaha kart at Concept Haulers Motor Speedway in Norway, IL. The speed and thrill of the Yamaha seemed not too steep while still providing a lot of room to learn. I am open to looking at the 4 cycle (Clone/Pro Gas Animal). My prior dirt track kart experience was the stock medium class with the Briggs Raptor (class had min weight of 340 lbs and engine made about 11HP).

Loaner Kart / Turn some laps Opportunity: I really like the idea of being able to try and turn some laps in a couple of classes(clone/progas, yam, Tag) to get the feel. Nothing beats a test drive. I think this combined with seeing the level of competition in each class should help me narrow down to the right class to start. I will bring some of my equipment with me from my prior racing days.

Mentoring: I was happy to hear this mentioned, and it sounds a like a great idea. In my prior racing experiences, mentoring was a huge help. Picking a class also involves picking a mentor as well. I got some of my best advice when I started racing. Here is about how it went-> "You got to go slow to go fast" I looked up puzzled. He laughed and said, "You need to slow down and concentrate on being smooth. Speed will come. Be smoooooooth"

Thanks again and I will see you at the track.

Adam
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 47555

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam....let's go racin'. c
Adam78

Score: 98

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update - I won't be able to turn any laps this Saturday, but I am still coming to see the racing, meet the people, and figure out which class is best for me.
Darrin Tebbe
Out to pasture

Score: 28685

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam78 wrote:
Quick update - I won't be able to turn any laps this Saturday, but I am still coming to see the racing, meet the people, and figure out which class is best for me.

Adam,
Make sure to stop by and chat with us, we'll be under the red and white #14 canopy over by the concession pavilion. I want to make sure you have the details on the new Animal Pro Gas package and are up to speed on the future plans for that class.

Darrin Tebbe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> 2 Cycle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: