| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #8 Registration
2014-07-26 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
GSKA 2014 - Suggestion Thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 46206

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"GSKA-

I have three kids. My son turns 7 in a few days. My two daughters just turned six and are identical twin girls.

We plan on going to a race this spring and see how they like it and see if it is something they want to get envolved in.

You will not find a better person than Chip. I have known him 25yrs and he loves to help people get started in motorsports. He loves Karting and will do anything he can to help you. He is the reason I was as successful as I was in my motocross days. I raced ATV motocross when I was younger and loved it. But, the chance of injuries and the job field I am in made me hang it up. I want to get back in to karting now.

I look forward to meeting all of you at the track this spring and hopefully getting my kids envolved in karting as well." quote

Best Regards,
Chad
Corporate pilot
rubentarca

Score: 2584

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new in karting, but always have a doubt /questioning regarding Junior classes.
Coming from car racing where the junior classes are controlled by HP, displacement, gearing and others to keep drivers from excessive speeds, I'm amazed how that is different in karting.
Junior classes should be used as step in the learning process to prepare kids for faster Senior classes, but here goes the other way around where the junior classes with the same specs than Senior but LIGHTER are faster than Senior.
Here is the reason why kids do not want to move up to the next step because they know will be slower.
Junior classes should be controlled in a way that will go slower (and safer) than Senior without weight consideration, then kids will be more than willing to go up in class
Darrin Tebbe
Out to pasture

Score: 28118

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubentarca wrote:
I'm new in karting, but always have a doubt /questioning regarding Junior classes.
Coming from car racing where the junior classes are controlled by HP, displacement, gearing and others to keep drivers from excessive speeds, I'm amazed how that is different in karting.
Junior classes should be used as step in the learning process to prepare kids for faster Senior classes, but here goes the other way around where the junior classes with the same specs than Senior but LIGHTER are faster than Senior.
Here is the reason why kids do not want to move up to the next step because they know will be slower.
Junior classes should be controlled in a way that will go slower (and safer) than Senior without weight consideration, then kids will be more than willing to go up in class

I assume you are talking about clone, since most of the other classes have a fairly functional ladder.

As someone who has had a junior going up the clone ladder I will tell you for us (and most of our friends who have kids racing) the weights are the reason we stay put as long as we can. There are kids who could move up from Junior 1 to Junior 2 but they already have 40 or 50 pounds of lead on to make Junior 1 weight. To make Junior 2 they have to add another 55 pounds and at some point you just run out of places to put lead. Then when you get all that lead on your seat there are constant breakage issues, seems like something is always going wrong. Just as an example, my son is 14, I would say average size for his age and we still have to put on almost 50 pounds to make the 320# junior weight. And he's indeed already bored with the performance of the clone, not interested at all in putting on another 50# with the same engine when he's 15.

The clone ladder engine-wise is not ideal, that's for sure. There probably should have been a Junior (12-15) restrictor. We did some extensive testing for the club to address this issue and the board is currently reviewing the data and should have an announcement soon regarding this.

DT
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a Briggs and Stratton 206?
Steve Torres

Score: 80

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: GSKA Suggestion Thread Reply with quote

Nick will be running Clone Jr 1 unless we open a Progas class for Sportsman 1. I would rather have him running Progas since WKA won't be supporting clone anymore. Too new to add any suggestions..Thanks
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The board has been working on this and will make an announcement soon.
Looks like Pro GaS will be included for 2014. Stand by for details...c
Steve Torres

Score: 80

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dr Chip, we look forward to the Progas!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: