| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #4 Registration
2014-05-03 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
Animal Pro Gas Lite Class for 2014 - And other musings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darrin Tebbe
Out to pasture

Score: 26975

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Animal Pro Gas Lite Class for 2014 - And other musings Reply with quote

For those who were at the race this past weekend we ran the following package in with Yamaha Junior with solid results:

Proposed:
Weight: 320# or 330#
Engine: Animal Pro Gas Unrestricted

We ran solid 24.30's and stayed right with the Yamaha Juniors. Connor says package was fun to drive and it sounded awesome.

I've been doing some leg work, talking to parents and racers about their 2014 plans, specifically how it relates to this class. Right now we have the following individuals who are interested in racing this pacakge for 2014:

Firm commitments:
Connor Tebbe (have package)
David Lawrence (package ordered)
Austin Shultz (have package)
Matt Horst (have package - will race when home from school)

Partial Commitments (will race class in limited number of races)
Haley Kummer

Possible Interest (plans for 2014 not firm yet)
Tanner Lee
Dylan Murry

By all means if you are interested in being added to, or removed from this list just comment and I'll update the post.

Many are talking about Pro Gas as a replacement for clone. I'm not sure that is a good idea at this point, but it does compare very closely to the real cost of a clone, especially if you look at the costs over 1-2 years of racing. I think the much better comparison (and the on-track performance proves it) is that it goes head-head with Yamaha cans at 1/2 the price. Plus you can take the package and run WKA Gold Cup (where Pro Gas classes are the only classes that are growing).

I don't know about other kids, but Connor has been racing clones for 5 years now, with no appreciable increase in speed. He's bored with it. Right now the only choice for people who are tired of running 25/26 second laps is Yamaha. Well, for the most part, you can't make 4 stroke people 2 stroke people. I think for now, a Pro Gas 13-up class at 320-330 and a Pro Gas Senior class at 360ish would fill a hole in our class structure. More of an advanced 4 stroke class, that would give our Gold Cup racers experience with this package as well. Then, over time, if the market starts to swing towards the animal classes you can start filtering them in. We already have the LO206 kid karts at the bottom end, and those engines make fine Pro Gas engines.

As to the reason Clone Junior 2 is not growing, I think it's pretty clear. We have karters that are graduating (ie. Connor, Haley, Tanner, Xander, etc.). And then because Junior 1 is 8-12 we don't have kids graduating to Junior 2 in 2014, but look at 2015 and there are going to be a bunch moving in. Moreover, there are some in Junior 1 that could move up in 2014, but the Junior 2 weight is so high they don't want to have to bolt on all that weight, so they are staying put.

I think we have seen new faces in the Kid Kart/Clone and Junior 1. The best thing to do with those classes are to keep them just the way they are for the foreseeable future. Don't fix what isn't broke.

Although I was against the current Sr clone structure, I think it has worked out quite well. The club would be stupid to do ANYTHING to change the Sportsman class. It is working just the way it should and the balance between skinny and fat guys is really good (I had a blast the other weekend). I think the 350# clone class with little pipe is perfect for less experienced teens moving out of Clone Jr. 2. Clone Sr. Heavy is our top 4 cycle senior class right now, and that's cool, I just wonder if some of those guys wouldn't be interested in going ProGas instead? I think that is a question that should be posed to the guys racing the class.

My .02
DT
DrChip
Club President

Score: 42525

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darrin just saved mme a lot of typing. I agree with what he says with tweaking based on what the racers want for 2014.

With the 2014 Boards's approval, I suggest an off track meeting after the end of our 2013 season to discuss all of this with the racers who attend. Submit questions and opinions before the meeting, short discussion of each topic, vote and move onto the next topic.

I will suggest a second off track meeting wih the racers about half way through the season to discuss how things are going and what changes need to be made.

My feelings for 4 stroke classes, as menentioned by darrin above, are:

Jr. Pro Gas-weight to be determined-following WKA rukes

Sportsman Clone 360/400 with small/big pipes, as is done now. We could consider a one weight class for all clone Sportsman, big pipe, weight to be determined

Close Sr. Heavy as we have now, weight to be determined, and if there are enough racers interested (see below)

Pro Gas senior as per WKA, 360 lbs

I don't think 2 stroke classes are up for as much debate. John W. can be thinking about that.

I want this to be a racer driven organization!

What have you done for kart racing, lately? c
jeff bacon

Score: 15015

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does what you are proposing compare to next years WKA rules?
www.jeffsgarageandspeedshop.com
www.gakartsales.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: