| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
Good Bye, DrChip!
Pro Gas class for next year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrChip

Score: 47576

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kerry Wilson" (edited)

As for Pro Gas, sounds good to begin with, but the cost will prevent many from considering this class. Talked with Steve and the initial cost for engine will be in the 1000 dollar range not counting needing an electric starter or disk clutch which is required for this engine. Putting the cost at or above 1600 dollars for this engine initial setup. In my opinion above what the average karter can afford to spend.[/quote]

That will be left up to the racers, especially the ones who want to compete in the WKA. Maybe it means some racers will compete in BOTH Pro Gas AND clone.

Note that WKA Pro Gas senior is 360 lbs per the sheet Wiley Holcomb sent me. Copies available by email to all interested. Lists ALL WKA 4 cycle classes for 2014. c
Austin18

Score: 4198

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Tyler speaking now. Dad is at work and i am going to add my .02 cents. I think in my opinion that when the clone class began we had a ton of entries. Reason being..we had rules but alot of people read between the lines and had some illegal motors some were legal but you didnt have a million and 1 spec tolerances that could only be checked with $1000 worth of tech tools. I think we should have one clone class and one pro gas class. For those who want a top quality motor and to run faster than a clone go with pro gas. Drop some of the rules on the clone class so we dont have to spend $700 on a clone, let the average guy buy a clone for $150 and not worry about if the valve lift is 2 thousanths out of spec and bring back a cheap way to enter into racing. I am not saying have an open clone class but im saying take some of the tech rules away that the average guy cant afford to do himself and bring back the diy racer with his old chassis and his kids who have never raced to see if its for them. If they like it...buy an animal buy all sorts of tires and preps and go race, other than that, lets bring back where the clones started.
Darrin Tebbe
Information Technology

Score: 28945

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem is if you let .002 go it will become an open class in about 3 weeks... and then $700 clones will seem like a bargain. Just ask the guys that run the "stock" class at Coweta...
DigiDAL Racing

Score: 662

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Clone Jr. 2 Reply with quote

We are the new family on the block in Jr. 2. We have been having a blast this year in large part to the extremely competitive Jr. 2 class. All of the drivers in Jr. 2 have been helpful to David and what a talented group for him to learn from and race with!

We went to Kershaw and had a taste of nationals. Now we are facing a situation where WKA dropped Clone and GSKA doesn't run ProGas. It doesn't make sense to run ProGas nationally for 4 races when our home track does not run it. Our options are to stay in a very small clone class or look at Yamaha Jr, which we may do.

It does make sense to me to align GSKA with WKA with clone as a local option.

I would like to see the discussion turn to what we can do. We have had an awesome experience this year and we want GSKA to thrive so other families can have the same positive experience we have had. I know everyone we have met feels the same way and I think it is time for us to come together and do what is best for GSKA.

I don't want to see anyone left out or disenfranchised. I think we can all work together to create an environment where beginners and the extremely competitive can thrive at all cost levels.

We will help in anyway we can and we look forward to many more years of Karting at Barnesville.

George Lawrence-Crew chief for David Lawrence
David Lawrence-#13
Xracing36

Score: 1877

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to Mr. Lawrence's thoughts on the situation, I think that we need to have a dedicated thread to what everyone hopes to do next year. This way, those who still have flexible plans and have not set themselves on any class in particular can switch to those with the most popularity.

Prime example: I plan on running Yamaha Junior full-time next year locally and as many national races as feasible. However, my dad and I are unsure what to run my younger brother Carson in, as he will have aged out of Junior 1 by being too old. If a pro gas 13 and up class that Mr. Tebbe suggested were to get enough firm commitments, it could be a possibility, but we are just not sure.

I think that if we can get most of our full-time racers', and potential full-time racers', opinions and interests on what classes and weights they want, then we as a club can come up with a structure that fits the mold best for our core group of GSKAers.
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29431

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xracing36 wrote:
Prime example: I plan on running Yamaha Junior full-time next year locally and as many national races as feasible. However, my dad and I are unsure what to run my younger brother Carson in, as he will have aged out of Junior 1 by being too old. If a pro gas 13 and up class that Mr. Tebbe suggested were to get enough firm commitments, it could be a possibility, but we are just not sure.

Yamaha Jr is 12-15, he can race against you.
Xracing36

Score: 1877

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, and he can, but a yamaha motor is a lot of money in it self and it may or may not be where we want to go with it. It was another thing considered, though, and it is definitely in the back of my mind.
Chuck Newman
Club Vice President

Score: 6035

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xander,
Just a reminder, but a second hand Yamaha won't cost any more than a Pro Gas. There's going to be couple for sale locally pretty soon.
Just Saying. Another data point to consider.

CN
Robbie Ullah

Score: 2696

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those wanting to race pro gas next year but don't have the money to invest in a brand new engine, I have a deal for you. I will convert my alcohol animals to pro gas and rent them for the GSKA races. I will even throw in a clutch for the event as long as you supply your own drivers and 15 degree mount.

Robbie.
John Wehrheim

Score: 33906

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cnewman92 wrote:
Xander,
Just a reminder, but a second hand Yamaha won't cost any more than a Pro Gas.
CN

Bingo and will be Faster!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: