| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #11 Registration
2014-09-06 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
Pro Gas class for next year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Austin18

Score: 4181

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senior clone class is going to be one weight only, will we get suggestions later. If we keep the sportsman class ,it will also be one set weight.
DigiDAL Racing

Score: 635

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: gas animal Reply with quote

I would love to have a gas animal unrestricted class that is 14 and up with a weight somewhere between the clone jr 2 and the heaviest class. I also think we could combine clone jr 1 and jr 2 or eliminate jr 1 and just have a clone jr class because the jr 1's and 2,s aren't that far off in times or skill.

P.S I would like to extend my thanks to Mr. Wilson and Mr. Lee along with everyone else who has helped me.
David Lawrence-#13
Tony Smith

Score: 320

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am for a Pro Gas Animal class.

I am all for "ONE" Sr. Clone Class.
Current WKA Rules except @ 365 lbs.
This accommodates All current Sr. level clone classes and also provides a working weight for rising Junior drivers.

To address the need for the Clone Sportsman class.

I remember the days when the class I ran had 30 plus Karts at EVERY RACE.
There was no entry level class for beginners.
You had to come to the track and MAKE the feature because they only started 20 Karts.
Large Kart counts drive racers to work harder to make the feature. Thus making them better racers.
That class strived for years.
Then they Changed the class structure by adding a Pro Gas class which allowed engine mods( Boring, Decking, Boring Carbs).
Class sizes shrunk significantly. Sparking what I believe was the falling away of competitive Karting for many years at Barnesville.

Also, Classes with 4- 7 karts are not going to convince most potential future karters to spend $4000 to come race with us.

Reducing the number of Sr. Clone Classes will:
1)Simplify our Class Structure
2)Make for more exciting racing not only for racers, but spectators and potential karters as well.
3)Make our drivers better and more competitive as a whole.

The most fun races I've ever had were the ones with 20 or more racers.
There is no need for an entry level class. This is it.

You don't get better by running with people the same speed as you. You get better by running against people who are faster than you.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33615

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, Well Said.!!!!
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 46943

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good discussion..

Tony-my response as a racer for 2014:

1.I am not fast. I could not compete in the Sr clone classes. Got lapped and discouraged when I returned to Barnesville in 2008. Then the sportsman class came along and I got a competitive kart. Still running in the middle of the pack but I feel competitive, and I am not getting lapped. Go for one class in Sportsman, 370 lbs, open clutch, big pipe. Same 3 win rule and move out. Maybe ad the winner of the feature one week would have to start in the rear of the next week heat race?

2.WKA has pro, 370lbs like WKA

3. Clone Senior? 370lbs, big pipe, open clutch, give Sportsman a place to move up to, keeping their same equipment and investment.

IMHO. c
Tony Smith

Score: 320

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. You have my opinion on the subject.
* Sr. Pro Gas per WKA rules.
* Sr. Clone per current WKA rules except @365 lbs. NO CLONE SPORTSMAN.
* Leave Clone Jr.! & 2 the way they are.

Guys please think hard about this before the board meets on this.
The classes were already confusing this year. There were many people signing up for the wrong class.
Lets Simplify our class structure and grow our club.
Very Happy
Kerry Wilson

Score: 6479

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironic that this thread points to having 1 Senior Clone class next year at a set weight. This is what our Board suggested for this year which was shot down, breaking it up into med and heavy.

I disagree with messing with or eliminating the Sportsman class as it has worked this year with winners coming from both the 360 and 400 pound weights. And there has not had to be a Board vote to move those that won 3 races up, they did it on their own.

As for Pro Gas, sounds good to begin with, but the cost will prevent many from considering this class. Talked with Steve and the initial cost for engine will be in the 1000 dollar range not counting needing an electric starter or disk clutch which is required for this engine. Putting the cost at or above 1600 dollars for this engine initial setup. In my opinion above what the average karter can afford to spend.

Just words for thought, glad I will not be on board next year.
Invader #9
Xracing36

Score: 1772

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether we combine Sr. Med and Sr. WKA for points or not is up to the board, but my advice would be to run them together so we don't have such large opportunities for scoring errors like with Doug Austin last race. Which, has yet to be edited points-wise.

I say just run them together based on times - any classes that are run together should be able to be placed on times. If the board agrees that the classes are equal enough to be ran together, than just act as if it is one big group. Less scoring errors, and outside of a points battle in the last race, I don't see how it could conflict with a championship. Plus, it gives more opportunity for racing. A 35 pound difference between a small pipe and a large pipe seems to equal out lap times, so if you end up combining the classes, do it like Sportsman where you can run either or and be scored the same way.

I really do think that the Junior 2 class needs some kind of attention. Last year, it brought in multiple new racers, including myself, and kept its numbers up to the end of the season. However, this year, the only new driver has been David Lawrence, and many of the returning drivers did not run in the class. (Chris Newman, Brandon Lobner, and myself moved to Yamaha; Aiden Crean aged out; Alex Upchurch stopped racing altogether; and the Lloyd twins moved to TaG Jr.) The numbers have showed the downfall. The highest the class can get now will be 4 drivers in the last two races, because those are the only four left. Next year, Connor Tebbe and Austin Shultz may run more Rotax than clone, Tanner Lee has to move up, and that leaves only Haley and David.

I am not sure exactly what we should do to deal with these changes - but we shouldn't intend on keeping drivers in a 2 person class that has significantly lost its growth.
jeff bacon

Score: 15225

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Xanders latest comments:

We do need to find a way to attract more junior drivers. Obviously, we don't have a lot of money to spend, but we do need to think of some marketing ideas.

Xander would know this better than I would, but how can we use Facebook to actually connect with potential junior drivers?

I am going to contact the local middle and high schools around me to see what it would take to advertise in their school newsletter.

Lets come up with cost effective ideas folks.
www.jeffsgarageandspeedshop.com
www.gakartsales.com
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 46943

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will work on building participation. Am open to ideas.

Note that WKA Pro Gas for 2014 is for 360 lbs accrding to the sheet Wiley Holcomb sent me.. I can email copes to anyone interested. Includes al 206 classes which are a variation on the 2056 engine. c
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: