| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #13 Registration
2014-10-25 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
  GSKA 2014 Banquet Registration
2014-11-16 19:00:00 GMT+00:00
Couple of pics from AMP this afternoon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DannyK

Score: 1193

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dev Gore wrote:
X30 off the bat is faster because you can adjust the carb on track and get it perfect plus they get soo much strait line speed the only engines you will see at amp are rotax and x30. How ever a good rotax can be just as fast plus there is more racing opertunity for rotax at other tracks.

Couple friends just switched to X30 from rotax, and claim its worth every penny for AMP. But as Dev said, and AJ prooved this past week a rotax can be very effective in the right hands at AMP.

Great photos, thanks for the extras of me.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33772

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Leopard is faster due to the better power band. Most guys are running the X30 or Rotax. X30 is popular because TS sells and supports them and the X30 is a better quality motor. The Rotax suffers due to the steep up hill off a slow corner.
Here is how I see the powerband.
Bottom end - Leopard, X30, Rotax
Mid Range - Rotax, X30, Leopard
Top End - Leopard, X30, Rotax

How do I know this, we or our teammates have tested these on dyno's and on track.

I just hope Mooresville accepts the X30 for 2014.
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29238

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had Rotax on Saturday in heat race 12 laps on our chassis and X30 on Sunday heat race 12 laps, same chassis and setup.
Rotax median lap time - 52.1 ( best 51.8 ), X30 median lap time - 51.2 ( best 51.0 )

If not that hairpin up hill, we could put even lower gear (rotax is around 5.8 in junior configuration while x30 is 7.0) and be able to compete with X30.

The weakest rotax points : carburation and 12.5k RPM soft limit. X30 is much easier to tune. Michael did 51.1 on his first ever hot lap.

Rotax is a beast in Mooresville. I have seen 47.2 on Mojo tires. It will definitely be in 46s on Hoosier or similarly soft tires.
Jim Fry

Score: 876

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In TaG Sr. this past weekend it was a Leopard on the pole, Rotax P2 and an X-30 in P3. In the final the X-30 won, Rotax 2nd and Leopard 3rd. The Leopard had the fastest race lap, but did not get thru traffic as good as the front two? So.....what is your conclusion???
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29238

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make conclusions if you put AJ on X30 and Jacob on Rotax and then compare.
AJ qualified first at Rotax Nationals, their package is very fast and a lot of experience. Sr Rotax makes 8 more horse power. On most tracks and same tires Rotax Sr/Jr are about the same lap time because of weight.

Any OGP junior will be able to compete on Rotax with 77 & 23. You put him on X30 and you will have NTR.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Fry wrote:
In TaG Sr. this past weekend it was a Leopard on the pole, Rotax P2 and an X-30 in P3. In the final the X-30 won, Rotax 2nd and Leopard 3rd. The Leopard had the fastest race lap, but did not get thru traffic as good as the front two? So.....what is your conclusion???

Only conclusion in my opinion is.
Anyone can win depending on their chassis setup and driving and race craft skills compared to their competition.

The really test is back to back comparison. Same driver, same tires, same chassis and compare lap times. This all needs to be done within an hour or so, so the track conditions do not change. Even this will not tell the whole story because you need to make sure you have gearing, flex and carburation at their optimal settings. Get these wrong and you are still not having a true comparison.
Jim Fry

Score: 876

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wehrheim wrote, "Anyone can win depending on their chassis setup and driving and race craft skills compared to their competition."

That is exactly what I have learned in my time in karting and that is one of the main reasons I have stuck around so many years. It takes a lot more to win a race than having a fast engine.
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 47408

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim-when is the GSKA going to get to run on the dedicated AMP kart track?

We are ready! c Cool
DannyK

Score: 1193

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrChip wrote:
Jim-when is the GSKA going to get to run on the dedicated AMP kart track?

We are ready! c Cool

What do you guys need to come run? I have seen a few b-vill'ers up there, nice to see.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny,
We want to test a clone. Want to make sure:
1. Noise will be ok - I dont think this will be an issue. I think a Yamaha Can is louder
2. It can make it up the skate board ramp Very Happy I believe it can because a K80 and Yamaha Can, can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: