| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
Good Bye, DrChip!
new wka yamaha hpv class rules
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pete michel

Score: 548

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea.
Daniel White

Score: 6291

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete, there isn't a movement to add or entice KPV.

The point of my original reply was to understand the difference between a KPV and a Yamaha on a tight track. I think we all get that there is a considerable difference on long tracks.

The bottom line is that we can't get a good turnout with just a plain ole spec Yamaha class, and I don't think we'd want to throw another motor into the mix on the off-chance someone might show up with one.

John will just put them in TAG and they can race against Ed or Danny--or Ed AND Danny. Laughing
Daniel White

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrChip wrote:
My goal, as always, for both vintage a s modern karts, is butts-in-seats. And the way to do this is to offer what the racers want.

Yes, and not only to get butts in karts, but to keep them season after season.

To me, that means
1. simple rules that don't change
2. a ladder that gets faster as the karter progresses from Sportsman to Junior to Senior.
3. keep costs as low as can reasonably be expected.

The other part of the problem is the condition of our facilities. Now we are competing with AMP and, to a certain extent, Mooresville and Kershaw. But I guess that's a discussion for another thread.
DrChip

Score: 47571

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel, I will address our Barnesville facility issues here very briefly.

The core truth s that we do not own the facility, as most of us know. The facility is owed by an investor Mr Kim who has no connections to karting at all. We have SOME leverage with him since we are the only people to use his property, giving him SOME return on his investment. On of the previous owners was allowing automotive drifting, which was really tearing up the track surface. He also cut down the light poles to allow for "safer drifting".

Our track is on a good size piece of land, zoned commercial, for which Mr Kim paid too much for, IMHO, in light of the Great Recession starting in 2008o, after he purchased the property. He can only hope the property will regain its purchase value so he can get his money out. If that would happen, I would bet you a new owner would not keep it as a kart track.

Which brings us to the problem of improving it. So far we have put in structures that we could move/sell if needed. Anything else would be improving some one else's property. He will not pave it. That would be an $82,000 investment he would have to make. And even with an increase rent, it would take so long to make back his investment that he would have to,repave again before the first replacement was paid for..?

Jeff Bacon said that we could not even get him to pay for the lead in the control tower roof after the tornado damage.

So we as a club have to use sweat equity to improve the facility at a minimum cost and promote kart racing for more registrations since our over head for each raced is largely fixed.

This gets back to keeping racing at Barnesville affordable. Two of the other tracks are quite a distance away, resulting in more costs to the racer. And AMP is going after the high end Rotax racer because of the cost of their facility to build and operate. AMP IS $5000 to rent the facility, and that does not include registration and scoring help.

We have a good affordable product in our Barnesville track, with lots of tradition, very close to home. WE just need to figure out how to "grow" (hate that term) what we have. And I am working on that.

WARNING: I am now almost retired, working only one day a week at Emory, and planning to use a lot of my free time promoting GSKA in 2014. Feel free to shut me up anytime! c
John Wehrheim

Score: 33906

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree we need to continue to grow the club, but let's realize some facts.
1. We need to grow with the existing classes, not more classes unless there is a significant trend towards a new class that would allow us more racers.
2. KPV is not one of them. I highly doubt there are racers sitting around in GA that are looking for a place to race a KPV.
3. If we want to grow the club, we need to promote at events that have shown success before - Car show and racing events
4. We are not going to pull racers from other tracks like MMX or CMP. Maybe AMP. We need to work with TSRacing/AMP to see if we can have a TAG Series. They only get to race once a month at AMP.

Lastly, if I am the Sr 2 Cycle Director again next year, I will tell you right now that i will vote against adding KPV to Yamaha.
Daniel White

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wehrheim wrote:
We are not going to pull racers from other tracks like MMX or CMP. Maybe AMP. We need to work with TSRacing/AMP to see if we can have a TAG Series. They only get to race once a month at AMP.

Let's throw them a bone and adopt Vega tires for TAG and Yamaha at Barnesville. Very few racers here (or at AMP for that matter) do national events so the need to use YLC is somewhat negated.
AtlantaKarting.com

Score: 491

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel White wrote:

Let's throw them a bone and adopt Vega tires for TAG and Yamaha at Barnesville. Very few racers here (or at AMP for that matter) do national events so the need to use YLC is somewhat negated.

If I might ask, why would you do away with the tire most commonly used in karting, available at many outlets, and go to a tire that is used only at one track, and not readily available. I don't see where AMP karters attended many of your events in 2013, and I don't see where many of your karters attended many of AMP events as well.
Daniel White

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="RWS"]
Daniel White wrote:

If I might ask, why would you do away with the tire most commonly used in karting, available at many outlets, and go to a tire that is used only at one track, and not readily available. I don't see where AMP karters attended many of your events in 2013, and I don't see where many of your karters attended many of AMP events as well.

Sure, you can ask.

. . . so the racers at AMP can race at our track without having to buy another set of tires--to save them money so they can bring more entry fee dough to our club. If those racers wanted to race more than once a month (John Wehrheim's point in his post above), they could race at B'ville with their AMP tires.

What makes you think the Vega isn't available? TS Racing sells this tire, and they have stock at AMP--I'm sure it would be readily available.

I cannot speak for all the GSKA racers, but the primary reason I don't race at AMP is that I would have to spend $250+ for one race--$175-ish for the tires and $82 for the race fee + pit pass. If we both had the same tire racers could race at both tracks.

Of course, one could argue this may lead to a loss of revenue for our club, but consider:

1) There are only 3 Yamaha guys who have done more than 6 races this year.

2) There are over a dozen potential racers from AMP that we could entice to our track.

The net gain would almost certainly make up for the loss.
Xracing36

Score: 1876

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had AMP racers at our Night Race, which if all goes well, will turn into a summer night race series in the 2014 season. This something that only we and CMP have done, giving AMP and Mooresville racers an additional reason to come and race here other than the obvious of a different group of racers and a different track.

At the same time, I can understand the reasoning for allowing VEGAs into TaG due to the amount, or lack thereof, of drivers in the class, but as for Yamaha, I don't see the point. The class is building, and with the addition of two Yamaha Junior drivers moving to the Senior class full-time for next year and a sportsman driver moving to Junior this year - we aren't starving.

A repave or even a new configuration won't do much, and to run the older circuit of the track would take away one of the two passing zones we have - into the double left. Let's work on getting lights first, because those will be cheaper on the short term and more beneficial than a basic repave on the long term.
AtlantaKarting.com

Score: 491

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Daniel, but maybe you missed my point, I did not say the Vega tire is not available, I wrote they are available from a limited source, where the Bridgestone tire is available from many sources, putting that aside, it looks to me like you are trying to regulate your club based on a theory of making your present club members change to another track tire, I have been to AMP and I have not heard of a dozen or so karters who would come to Barnesville if GSKA only had the Vega tire rule. If you would look at the number of your club members who had raced outside your track, you will find they raced with series that use the Bridgestone tire more than the other tires. The reason you guys had several AMP karters to join you at your nite race is because you allowed every tire on the market to be used, given that formula, there has not been another AMP karter run at your track since the nite race.

If you use the "cater to the AMP crowd" as your way of improving the number of entries for 2014, I think you will once again be disapointed in the entry numbers as you have to be in 2013.
AMP has on an average, 1 adult yamaha racer, and maybe 2 junior yamaha racer, none of which have even considered coming to Barnesville, they have on the average 15 adult TaG racers, which I am going to say 40% have their karts stored at AMP, how many of those do you think will make transportation arraignments to race at your track in 2014?

What I am getting at is, take a look at the real reason you have only 3 yamaha guys on an average, and 1 TaG guy, I don't believe it is the choic of tire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: