| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #10 Registration
2014-08-23 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
new wka yamaha hpv class rules
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck Newman
Junior 4 Cycle Director

Score: 5555

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel White wrote:

Doesn't the USPKS specify the can exhaust? and a weight of 350?

I didn't say it was a GOOD idea.... Laughing Then again, my drivers kart is at 325, no lead, and already has a can on it. Maybe I DO like this idea! Just kidding....

Really just trying to stimulate thought. See what happens when you (more specifically, I) get in a hurry?

CN
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33575

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KPV is faster. Personally I really like the KPV, but we do not need to add another motor, especially when the KPV's are few and far. The reason why they will be combining the classes is because most Sr's at a national event are racing TAG. My bet is you'll see TAG Jr in WKA next year, which means they need to make room for this class.
Darrin Tebbe
Out to pasture

Score: 28252

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cnewman92 wrote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we've tried to follow WKA rules to make it possible for people to come from out of the area and race. Maybe (just Yamaha), we need to consider USPKS rules instead?

CN

We put the USPKS concept (fewer classes) in place before USPKS existed. That's why we have 1 4 cycle engine ladder (clone) and 1 2 cycle engine ladder (Yamaha) + TaG/Shifter.

Until WKA and other series' figure out that class dilution and engine-of-the-month is driving people away they will continue to see their numbers shrink. The turnout at the Man Cup in Mooresville this past weekend was pitiful.

DT
jeff bacon

Score: 15182

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought a single 100cc air-cooled class would be a good idea. It works well with TaG, why not 100s. There are a bunch of Easykart 100s in Florida with no where to race. A properly weighted 100cc class should work. And more importantly, the thing that made our club a success was being open to any legal racing kart. We don't turn anyone away.
www.jeffsgarageandspeedshop.com
www.gakartsales.com
AtlantaKarting.com

Score: 360

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth, there were 9 entries in Yamaha Sr, and 7 in KPV Pro, netiher class is setting any records. Combining classes will be an exercise in futility.

I would offer a Yamaha only class, with either the current set up, which, hasn't brought many new players to the game, or use the USPKS rules.

To base a local series on the outcome of one national type race, to me is not an acurate method of determining what is best for local racers. Waiting until the first of 2014 to set classes is not good for people who might want to race in spring, especially with winter, and not being able to test their equipment.

That is just my observations.
Darrin Tebbe
Out to pasture

Score: 28252

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wehrheim wrote:
My bet is you'll see TAG Jr in WKA next year, which means they need to make room for this class.

Already announced, but IAME only:
WKA Man Cup Tag Jr Announcement

DT
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33575

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a decision of the new board and who ever the 2 cycle directors are. There is already discussions amongst several 2 cycle racers on how we can grow at a minimum the Yamaha classes.

I have been gathering everyone's emails and phone numbers so we can discuss in the coming months. All ideas are welcome, feel free to send me an email or PM
Daniel White

Score: 6161

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the spec we are using now for the following reasons:

1)The pipe is quicker than the can by about 8-9 tenths per lap.

2) From what I understand pipes motors are less demanding, and should require less frequent rebuilds than the can exhaust.

3) Though one can go out and spend $1850 for a new blueprinted Comet motor, one can buy a used blueprinted Yamaha with carb and clutch for $800--ish. After spending $250 for the pipe, you aren't that much more expensive than a Clone, and you are going 1.5 seconds quicker.

4) Though a bit on the expensive side at $200 a set, the YLC is a terrific tire with excellent durability. I'm pretty sure I can get at least 6 race days on them.

5) You don't need a new chassis to be competitive. I think I'm the only one beside Matt Michel who is racing a chassis built in the last 3 years.

6) You don't even need a chassis with certain diameter tubing. We have 28mm karts, 30mm karts, and 32 mm karts--all competitive.

7) You don't need a certain clutch. John is quick with a wet clutch. Dicky is quick with a dry clutch.

Cool We are a bit quicker than juniors, which we should be in order to get juniors to want to be in Yamaha Sr. class when they turn 15 (instead of jumping into a TAG kart).
pete michel

Score: 473

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I llkes up the qualifing times for the first four gold cup races.The sr komet-kpv 1&2 and the sr yamaha 1&2.The time differances are as follows,Daytona .771, Kershaw .754,New cast. 1.177, Pitt..820. As you can see the time differance is a bunch.I know you don,t want to hear it but in road racing it did not work. They had to split yamaha from the rest of the piston ports.I know most if not all of you do not know me but I was a track owner in the 60,s through the 80,s. I was on the IKF board of directors in the 70,2 I races at barnsville in the 60,s and 70,s.Have been involved in karting since 1958. This dose not make me an expert but it is alot of background. I would like to see the class stay as is. For what it is worth that is my 2 cents.Love the sport,can,t stop karting.
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 46772

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goal, as always, for both vintage a s modern karts, is butts-in-seats. And the way to do this is to offer what the racers want.

I would like to have a pole of racers on this particular thread question sometime in the near future

Keep the ideas and opinions flowing, and I would like to have finalized rules and classes for 2014 by the end of 2013....c
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: