| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #4 Registration
2014-05-03 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
new wka yamaha hpv class rules
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pete michel

Score: 402

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: new wka yamaha hpv class rules Reply with quote

Have you seen the new combined yamaha and hpv class for wka man cup.Weight break does not work. long tracks hpv will kill yamaha.
I know this from road racing. In road racing the have a yamaha pipe class and a piston port class because the yamaha can,t run with piston ports on top end.I hope we do not adopt this new class for gska.
DrChip
Club President

Score: 42492

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John W....c
Daniel White

Score: 5767

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete, based on your observations, would a KPV pipe have a clear advantage over the Yamaha-RLV pipe on a tight track like ours?

Idk, but I doubt there are too many karters out there who want to bring their KPVs to our track.
pete michel

Score: 402

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road racing we could run with of beat the piston port non yamaha engines. The long tracks we go killed. Our track may be differant, but you only need 1 guy to dominate with a kpv-komet to ruin the class.The italian motors are far superior to the yamaha. Cost of new komet is very high. the bottom line is it,s the clubs call. Could see what hapens at Daytona man cup. we will be running the road race.
DrChip
Club President

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete-IMHO, we have had such good response to the Yamaha Sr class the way it is, I doubt we will make any changes for the 2014 season.

Yamaha seems like a great step up in performance from te clones without the expense of the Rotax powered karts..c
Chuck Newman
Junior 4 Cycle Director

Score: 4684

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris ran Komet Jr. at Man Cup, so we have a fresh Comet built KPV. We'll probably take take both to the track and get some real data, since Chris will be running this combined class at Daytona.

We ran the KPV at our track in testing, and I suspect it's going to take a bunch of weight to equalize them.
Having said that, Pete's right about the cost. KPV is another thousand dollars over a Yamaha, but it's a MUCH nicer engine.

One other consideration: Out in California, Stu Hayner runs a series called Formula 100 where they already run this combined class, and it's been very popular, with both engines winning, so it's not a real crazy idea for WKA to do it. It could work.

CN

edit: Just looked it up; Formula 100 runs the KPV 30 pounds heavier...
Daniel White

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Chuck, I've heard that the KPV is a high-quality engine. I also have heard that they do not require rebuilds as frequently as a Yamaha. I wish we had this class a few years ago . . .

Comet can sell a blueprinted Yamaha motor for $1850, a stock KPV for $2090, and a blueprinted KPV for $2590 (although I've always been told that the KPV doesn't need a blueprint).

But already-blueprinted-but-used Yamahas can be bought for $800-1000-ish.
Chuck Newman
Junior 4 Cycle Director

Score: 4684

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel White wrote:

But already-blueprinted-but-used Yamahas can be bought for $800-1000-ish.

And a used KPV and be bought for $1000-1200....

The real question thats going to have to be dealt with is whether we want to continue to follow WKA rules or not. Personally, I don't care either way. Like Pete said, its probably best to wait for Daytona before we have some knee-jerk reaction to the new class.

There's always time to not change things. Wink

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we've tried to follow WKA rules to make it possible for people to come from out of the area and race. Maybe (just Yamaha), we need to consider USPKS rules instead?

CN
DrChip
Club President

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can always choose the "local option" route if we feel it is better for our club and racers...c
Daniel White

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cnewman92"]
Daniel White wrote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we've tried to follow WKA rules to make it possible for people to come from out of the area and race. Maybe (just Yamaha), we need to consider USPKS rules instead?

CN

Doesn't the USPKS specify the can exhaust? and a weight of 350?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: