| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
Another Newbie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt

Score: 184

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Another Newbie Reply with quote

Is there a list of shops in Georgia that specialize in Karts? Myself and my 16 year old son are ready to put the motocross bikes away and get into Kart racing. We will need two Karts and I'm not sure what class yet. I'm thinking for myself a shifter Kart, I'm a big guy 6'4" 240 lbs. I want something to haul my big butt around a track and try to be competitive. My son is 6' and 185lbs (we grow-em big in Gainesville) so I think he may have a few more options. We have been around racing all of our lives and are pretty mechanical. I would like to start with a couple of used Karts, reading the forums it sounds like we may have a learning curve so I would rather learn with a couple of used ones. We have been to the track in Barnesville and since we live in Gainesville we have been to AMP a few times. We are open for suggestions. Thanks in advance!
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 47318

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crashin-welcome to,the Craziness! You will love kart racing. I am a long term karter as an escapee of both motocross and car,racing.

Consider a clone class first . In expensive, competitive and fun, of both you and your son. Roberts kart shop in Lovejoy GA is our full time, race kart only shop not too far from the track and open some evenings and 1/2day on Sats.. Steve and his wife Stacy own and run the place. Steve is a national champ,karter,supporter and supplier. He has chassis, engines. Etc.

I have a loaner kart that I have set up to. Loan to newbyps. Both of you get some track time in it, race it, hang out and learn. You will then be hooked and better know what direction to go in.

We are here to help. Let me know,if you want to borrow my kart...chip
Xracing36

Score: 1782

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing is to go to Roberts Kart Shop in Lovejoy, and spend a bit of time there picking the Stevie's brain for what tools you might need, because more likely than not, he'll have what you need ready for purchase at his shop. (Tools, recommendations for kart stands manufacturers, etc.)

I second Dr. Chip on running a clone class - the engines are basic, and similar to the ones that rental karts will run at AMP, just a bit faster. Our senior clone group is so big that we have four classes to run with it! It's a great group of guys here, so just keep the questions coming and your knowledge will grow.
Luttrell Racing

Score: 1444

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Karts Reply with quote

Hey,
I would also recommend clone class for a starter class.

Feel free to contact me anytime I could put you in a brand New Race ready Ionic Edge for $3,000.00. Maybe less if you buy two.

Feel free to call me anytime!!!
404-516-8934.
https://www.facebook.com/IonicEdgeChassis
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jim Fry

Score: 876

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Karts Reply with quote

We have karts for sale at TS Racing Atlanta at AMP. Come see us. Be glad to help with options. Jim Fry. 404-275-1787
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29180

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a huge difference between clone and a shifter.
He is asking about two karts. Does it make sense to have clone and a shifter? I do not think so. So why you suggest clones?

@Crashin, you can check Classified section on this site, people are always changing chassis/karts so you can find something for your start.
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ihor Bilyy"]There is a huge difference between clone and a shifter.
He is asking about two karts. Does it make sense to have clone and a shifter? I do not think so. So why you suggest clones?

Ihor-I can only speak from my own experience. In 1988, I switched from 2 cycles to 4 cycles when I started racing at Barnesvile. My Briggs flathead never let me down.

I returned to karting and Barnesville in 2008 and rented a TAG. I was way over my head, and I had a DNF because of mechanical problems. Then someone suggested that I start with a "clone" engined kart.

I asked "what is a clone" on this website back in 2008. the rest is history for me.

Clones represent a great entry level, affordable class foe people to get started in. Then, depending on their abilities and budget, they can move up. Yamaha has proved to be a good step up. Then Rotax, and shifter. I always want the early "karting experience"..I get tired of that saying..to be a positive one. I know of too many people who started with in faster classes and just gave up. Clones represent, to me, a first step on the ladder of motorsports. We do not put a newby in a Formula 1 car.

My same experience in motocross and road race motorcycle racing. The newbys get the big bore bikes, and the experienced get the smaller bore bikes. And the small bore experienced riders whip up on the big bore newbys. You know how I know. Good racers are fast on the straights, great racers are fast through the turns, as you know.

I sometimes think I would like to step up to something faster, but I have not stop improving my clone lap times yet, since 2008. In fact, I alsost quit racing clones early on because I was so discouraged, getting lapped. A stedy improvement has come my way, and the "Sportsman" class got me feeling competitive again.

Being competitive is what was important to me. Knowing I had a chance to win, and did. I drove Clarence's shifter, and what a blast. Fastest vehicle I have ever driven. But I was all over the place, on and off the brakes/throttle too early or too late, missing shifts, etc.

I would love to have a shifter, or a Yammy or a TAG to play with. But with age comes wisdom. I am just not that fast. Would like to be, would like to have been a pro rcer, but I just do not have what it takes. But Sportsman Clone makes me feel competitive. MAny days I have left the track saying to myself: "I am a racer". But not ready to quit my day job...yet

And each year that I go back to my highly modified dual engined vintage kart, I have many times got off the kart and said outloud "I love my clone"

I believe that clone racing is the place to start, get comfortable, learn the basics, have fun and not be frustrated, and move up when you are ready. c

disclaimer: I flunked high schhol typing-really-and I need new glasses-really.

"What have you done for kart racing...lately?"
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not mean to slight any other provider of karts, parts, or services.

But we do appreciate sponsorship = time, products, services and $$.

That helps keeps us racing..c
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: