| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
Atlanta Public TV wants to schedule a filming at Barnesville

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 47297

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Atlanta Public TV wants to schedule a filming at Barnesville Reply with quote

they are asking me for a date in the first half of Sept. They would like to do it during the week. I am gathering Vintage karts for the program to promote the GSKA, Barnesville, and the Barnesville Vintage event.

ATTNTION ALL VINTAGE KARTERS!

spread the word. I have been working on this for a year and a half now
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip,

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. One of my compatriots was out yesterday and I was out this morning.

Dates that look good to us are:
Work Week of Sept 9-13
Work Week of Sept. 16-20

Any day, M-F on those weeks would work for us. What time are you thinking? I don't think we could make it there before 10 am. 10:30 would probably be even more workable.

Jack Walsh
Producer/Editor
Public Broadcasting Atlanta
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of conflicts with vintage karters...maybe mid Oct? Stand by....c
clarence

Score: 8229

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr, I appreciate your enthusiasm for the vintage stuff, but vintage doesn't support the karting industry as a whole.
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarence wrote:
Dr, I appreciate your enthusiasm for the vintage stuff, but vintage doesn't support the karting industry as a whole.

"vintage stuff" sure supports the GSKA!

Our vintage event generates more net income to the club than any other single source. And the vintage event is put on by ONLY TWO of the GSKA members with no help from the board or the general GSKA membership. We had ONLY 2 general membership people and NO Board members show up this year to help. Income from our vintage event allows us to charge less for registration, contributes to maintaining the track and track property, pays for awards and our year end banquet.

Our annual vintage event is one of the largest, if not THE largest in the country. We draw 100-to 110 vintage karts from all over the US including CA,

The income it generates for our club is the difference between GSKA running in the red vs running in the black each year!

The Atlanta PBS tv show will serve to promote vintage and modern karting, the historic Barnesville track, our annual Vintage kart Event and the GSKA. The more promotion means mor paying karters showing up which means more money for the GSKA.

Talk doesn't cook rice. Lead, follow or get out of the way!

Ask yourself what you have done for the GSKA recently.

As I said at the top. "vintage stuff" sure supports the GSKA bigtime!
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we will have to stage this evernt by the end of September 2013 to get it t run in Oct or Nov, about the time I start promoting our own Barnesville GSKA Winternational Vintage Karting event. c
clarence

Score: 8229

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you missed my point.
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarence wrote:
I guess you missed my point.

Not at all. If you look at how many vintage karting events there are you would see how active and growing vintage karting is. Starting in Jan going through Nov. There are at least 3 active websites for vintage karting plus all the buy/sell activity on Ebay.

And the most important thing is the demographics of vintage karting. The main supporters are Baby boomers, either retired or semi retired, with a lot of discretionary income and time to spend on the karts and parts that they had wished for as kids.

And the average vintage karter spends much more per participant than the average modern karter on attending events with travel, registration, cost of equipmemt etc.

Just because vintage karting is more under the radar than modern karting does not mean it is any less of a growing facet of karting.

Modern karts tend to be cookie cutter machines, appearing not much different from one another, while vintage karts show the whole range of design and technology. That is the draw of vintage, just like people are drawn to vintage vehicles of any type.

I have had three groups interested in vintage karting, two Atlanta PBS tv producers and one National Geographic producer. They have NOT contacted me about modern karts. They wnt to do programs on vintage karts.

And the growing interest in vintage karting is helping promote karting in general, which has an over all positive economic impact.

In the 60s through the 80s Barnesville pulled 350-400 karts per event. We are now happy to pull 50 karts per event. I feel anything that helps promote karting in general, and the GSKA/Barnesville is a good thing.

Again, ask yourself: what have I done for karting lately? c
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: