| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #8 Registration
2014-07-26 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
Summer Break Testing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xracing36

Score: 1705

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there next weekend, not sure Sunday or Saturday. I'll be testing Yamaha Junior while my brother will be testing Clone Junior.
Xracing36

Score: 1705

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opted out due to weather and other constrictions.

I'll be there August 3rd almost all day to get final testing in. Last weekend before the season restart!
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 46222

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am testing the water at the lake, before we retun to th asphalt! Evil or Very Mad
Austin18

Score: 4181

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wtll be down there on mon 8-5 to test out my lawnmower blades,I know the grass is out of control by now.
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 46222

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin18 wrote:
I wtll be down there on mon 8-5 to test out my lawnmower blades,I know the grass is out of control by now.

Honda has a rich racing and off-road heritage and recently their UK team decided to meld that experience with their line of lawn tractors. They teamed up with their title winning British Touring Car Championship (BTCC) partner, Team Dynamics, to create what is believed to be the world’s fastest lawn mower.

Honda is calling it their Mean Mower.

Meet Mean Mower…
The brief for Project Mean Mower was very straightforward. To build a super-fast mower which retained its original look, but, crucially, could still cut grass. The result is a machine capable of reaching an estimated 130mph and 0-60 in just four seconds with an ear splitting roar reaching 130db.

The Birth of Mean Mower
Team Dynamics re-engineered a Honda HF2620 Lawn Tractor from the ground-up, adding an all-new fabricated chassis, custom-made from 4130 chromoly, to provide a strong, safe but very light platform. A 1000cc engine from a Honda VTR Firestorm was used, along with a bespoke suspension and wheels from an ATV.

Every effort has been made to retain as much of the look of the original mower as possible. The cutter deck was custom-made in fibre-glass, to reduce weight, while, in a stroke of pure genius, the grass bag provides a happy home for the fuel tank, a high capacity oil cooler and a secondary water cooling radiator.

The ability to still cut grass was also a key element of the brief, and the super-fast mower still can, admirably, thanks to two electric motors on the cutter deck, spinning 3mm steel cutting cable at an incredible 4000rpm. The mower can cut grass at around 15mph, more than double the flat-out speed of the original HF2620 from which it is derived.

Based on feedback from Honda Yuasa Racing drivers, three times BTCC champion Matt Neal and reigning champion Gordon Shedden, the mower features a custom-made paddle shift six-speed gear system. Additionally it has a custom-made Cobra sports seat, a Scorpion exhaust system and a steering rack taken from a Morris Minor.

The result of this remarkable feat of engineering is a lawn mower set-up and geared to achieve a top speed in excess of 130mph, weighing just 140kgm, producing 96Nm of torque and an incredible PTW ratio of 532bhp/ton. In testing to date the mower has topped 100mph on a circuit, belting out a remarkable 130db at three-quarter RPM and 98db at idle.

Safety is paramount to the project, so every effort has been made to make the mower stable and secure. To achieve optimum balance ATV wheels have been used – ideal because ATV racing is held on rough off-road tracks. Super-soft tires ensure optimum grip and excellent handling on the tarmac.

Every effort has been made to use Honda parts, where possible, including brakes and several motorcycle components. Almost everything else has been custom-made by Team Dynamics and its partners.
Mike Pugh
Race Director

Score: 33842

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is Doug's new mower. I think it might out run the Honda?