| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #4 Registration
2014-05-03 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
Information for Jim Fry
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 28319

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Information for Jim Fry Reply with quote

You insisted that me saying that all track around have driver pit pass included in entry fee is a lie.
Here are facts:

CMP
http://www.carolinamotorsportspark.com/ckcregistrationform.html

GSKA
https://georgiasprintkarting.net/?page=racereg (registration says "additional pit passes". driver included)

MMX
is using shopping kart for entry, I have raced there 4 times this year and paid only my pit pass, driver's included.

OGP
They have $12 entry fee, $12 parking and $12. Fee is so low, everybody considers $36 as an entry fee.

KRA (Newcastle) do not include pit pass, but it is explicitly saying so and their entry fee is $35
http://www.newcastleraceway.com/fees.shtml

NOLA
is using motorsportreg.com. I had to login and almost finish registration to see the price. Entry fee is $65 and they ask for additional pit pass for crew ($5).

Last edited by Ihor Bilyy on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
redefined

Score: 1148

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ihor we have talked about this too. I agree it's to much. Especially for members to have to pay it as well, kinda pointless to be a member for race days.

Good info though. I can't wait to get up to MMX and CMP. Unfortunately I can't make it with you guys this weekend. We start moving into our new house this weekend and finish the weekend after. Make sure to get some GoPro footage so I can see the track from Michales kart!
Jim Fry

Score: 850

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ihor,

You have good examples of tracks that do include the drivers pit passes with their registration however, I believe you proved my point when you showed 2 tracks (New Castle & OGP) that charge separately for a driver's pit pass. My experience is more on a National level, mainly WKA where we do pay separately for our pit passes. The main point should be, is our overall pricing competitive?

I believe it is. Our non-member on site registration is $70, plus $12 for adult passes and $20 for transponder rental. So your cost to race at AMP Saturday for you and your son was $114. When we established our pricing we looked at Mooresville, NOLA and the FKCS series in FL. Their equivalent pricing is as follows:

1. FKCS - $120
2. Mooresville - $105
3. NOLA - $100

Hopefully as the years go by and AMP pays off their debt, we can lower our pricing to be more in line with the older facilities you mentioned. I hope you enjoyed your day at AMP and will return again. Thanks, Jim
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point was different. You asked me: "Is GSKA including pitpass? CMP?" I said yes, you disagreed. Thats it.
Matt, pitpasses needed everywhere, regardless of membership. They are paying insurance.

We had a great time. Michael loves roller coasters (Six Flags season pass). Few things you do different:
1. Drivers meeting before practice (like WKA).
We know for National event all racers and pit crew are in as early as possible, but for local race... what would you do if people do not participate in drivers meeting? Maybe they do not need to practice because they have membership and they did it yesterday or week before. Or somebody late, or drives 3 hours in the morning. All places we have been to have drivers meeting before qualifying. This way you know all racers who intended to race are here and it gives tuners time to make adjustments from practice to qualifying. Most also do lunch break before qualifying. WKA is fighting for time, FKCS had 10+ classes a day to run and only one morning practice. At AMP, we were done by 4pm. Why not to have drivers meeting later in a day?

2. Shifters suppose to start race from standing start. It takes all the excitement away if they are doing rolling start.

I may be wrong but your past experience is from road races, as well as Jeremy. I remember your name from participants list when I was first exploring karting.
Many very experienced sprint drivers and driver's tuners visited AMP, did you talk to them? Did you ask what their opinion?

I am always trying to be open, things are changing in this world, you can't always live on past experience.

We had a great time and will be back later this year.

Last edited by Ihor Bilyy on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Jim Fry

Score: 850

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ihor,

Thanks for your comments. I think to answer your questions about our driver's meeting and the shifter class starting procedures I need to give you a little background on the TS Racing/AMP relationship. Jeremy Porter and Tod Spaude the Owner of TS Racing have a relationship that goes back many years. When Jeremy developed his concept for AMP he reached out to Tod for guidance on the Sprint kart operation, as you are correct Jeremy's background in karting was pretty limited to road racing.

As the kart track neared completion I was looking for something to do in karting once I retired at the end of 2012 from my real job and I visited AMP. One thing led to another and I was hired with one of my responsibilities to be Race Director of our monthly kart series.

2012 was my 50th anniversary of my start in karting, but it had always been as a competitor, so I did not really know what I was getting into! Tod, his son Bret and I worked for several months to put together the program that your son participated in Saturday. TS Racing is a major sponsor of WKA racing therefore the basic premise of our program is to run a professional program following the basic guidelines of the WKA Manufacturers Cup Series.

Based on that direction I reached out to many of my karting friends to learn how to run a professional program. I talked to Rick Fulks, whom I have raced with for many years. Rick is the Race Director for the newly formed United States Pro Kart Series (USPKS) that ran this past weekend at New Castle and debuted early this year at Mooresville. Rick is also Race Director for the popular Route 66 Midwest Series and many of the one off Street races around the country. Then I talked with another long time fellow competitor Nate Grindell who is the Team Manager for the Ocala Grand Prix team and finally I went to the West Palm Fl Winter Tour race and watched Bill Wright and his crew preform their mastery. Bill is a family friend from long before the FWT was conceived.

To learn more about the management of the WKA Man Cup series, I attended their race in Daytona and at CMP this year. While at CMP I took their Race Director course and test and I am now a WKA certified Race Director. With this new knowledge from all these industry leaders and following Tod's guidance we put together our program.

As you mentioned our Driver's Meeting is "like WKA" at the start of the race day. Now hopefully you understand why. If somebody arrives late, I make a point to speak with him and give them their own personal driver's meeting. Again following WKA's lead we push the schedule in what we hope is a professional manner within the confines of AMP's standards and procedures which dictates that we take a lunch break from noon until 1:00 PM. Our detailed race schedule lays out that we will be complete with racing by 5:00 PM, which again is an AMP requirement. As you mentioned we completed Saturday by 4:00 PM, thanks to some professional driving by the competitors that minimized our pick up/down time.

As for the shifters, we discussed this at length in our preplanning. As you know WKA Man Cup does not include a shifter class, so we are including it as a "local option" class. The few organizations that still include shifters, SKUSA, for example do standing starts. However most of our competitors at AMP are pretty new to karting and we have I believe legitimate concerns that should we do standing starts that there would be more stalls than launches and then mass chaos and next thing we are behind schedule and cutting race lengths, etc. Therefore the choice of flying starts. However we are open to change/improvements and we may give standing starts a shot before the season ends.

As for my experience, yes since 1996 when my two sons started racing I have competed almost exclusively in road racing. With my retirement I have retired from competing full time on the WKA Road Race series, however I was fortunate enough to win my 7th National Points Championship last year (2012) in the 100cc Controlled Spec class. This year I have competed in two races and won two classes at CMP in April. Prior to 1996 I competed in many national sprint and street races, competing at approximately 25 Barnesville Winter Nationals starting in 1966. I am sure Dickey Wilson or Alan Maxwell would be glad to vouch for my experience.

Also EKartingnews did a nice article on my family in 2009 that chronicles my karting history. So yes things are "changing in this world" and I have seen many great innovations since my start in 1962. Karting has evolved immensely! I am not interested in the past and your comment really hurt. I am very much aware that we are only as good as our last race. Can we do better, hell yes and we will do everything we can to make sure that happens for you, our customer.

I look forward to seeing you and your son later this year! Jim Fry

http://www.ekartingnews.com/news_info.php?n=11621
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM
amax20

Score: 3643

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make no mistake Ihor, Jim Fry is one of the best on and off the track in the nation. If you can run with or get lucky enough to out run him you have done something. He is a professional on and off the track and I am proud to have raced him and even more so to call him a friend. And for the record Jeremy isnt to bad on a kart either. I think they are both running a quality show at amp and am very glad to see it working so well for both of them.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 32648

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the opportunity to watch the racing this weekend. I think Jim and Bret have made improvements since the first exhibition race and are doing a good job. I would agree with Ihor on regarding the drivers meeting. As to the shifters, ask what the shifters want.

What interests me more than anything is to understand the improvements AMP plans to make with the dip/compression zone at the bottom of the hill and the fly zone at the top of the hill after turn 1.

Too bad there was only 1 Yamaha running. It is all TAGs which is good. I do think some of the TAG Srs are driving way over their head and I think a few of them need some direction.

Jim and Bret are great guys and I think they will continue to listen for improvements.
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does this shifted to who is a good driver and friend?
I added bold to what was the point of discussion. I also don't like and it hurts when I am accused of not telling truth.
DannyK

Score: 1154

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wehrheim wrote:
I had the opportunity to watch the racing this weekend. I think Jim and Bret have made improvements since the first exhibition race and are doing a good job. I would agree with Ihor on regarding the drivers meeting. As to the shifters, ask what the shifters want.

I think the drivers meeting move is a good idea. And i could be way wrong, but i think they did ask the shifters and/or no one has voiced an opinion to change. Allthough as a spectator, standing start should would be cool. but as spectators, we shouldnt have a voice on what they do.

John Wehrheim wrote:

What interests me more than anything is to understand the improvements AMP plans to make with the dip/compression zone at the bottom of the hill and the fly zone at the top of the hill after turn 1.

hey now, don't go changing the dip. Best part of the course! Smile
I know Jeremy has acknowledged the dip, and its on the radar for repairs.... whatever that timeline that may be. What is the "fly zone"?

John Wehrheim wrote:

Too bad there was only 1 Yamaha running. It is all TAGs which is good. I do think some of the TAG Srs are driving way over their head and I think a few of them need some direction.

Ya the one yamaha guy thats been running switched to TaG this past race, leaving the new guy by himself Sad

Got to remember how new a lot of us are. I have been karting 4 months now, and i know there are several others under a year of experience, with a couple guys as new if not newer than me. Feedback doesn't scare me, so if someone sees me doing something stupid i encourage them to tell me... last thing i want is to hurt someone. All i can hope is the other newbies have the same attitude.

John, hope to meet you soon!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: