| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #11 Registration
2014-09-06 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
LASIK - Your experience/recommendations?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redefined

Score: 1148

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: LASIK - Your experience/recommendations? Reply with quote

Looking to have LASIK done within the next few months and wanted some recommendations from those that have had the procedure done. I went and had an evaluation done at Woolfson Eye Institute but have yet to go anywhere else. My insurance at work gives 15% off at both Eye First Vision and at TLC Laser. Just by looking at reviews I'm not sure I'd go to Eye First but TLC seems to have good reviews. Now this is my vision so I'm not worried about the 15% if another places wins out, but if not then I'll welcome the 15% savings.

So to those of you that have had this done who do you recommend? Thanks guys!!
Darrin Tebbe
Out to pasture

Score: 28295

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife had Dr. Wolfson perform LASIK about 10 years ago. Her prescription was so bad they couldn't correct it with soft contacts, and she had issues with hard contacts sticking to her eye. She had one eye that going in they did not guarantee results on because it was such an extreme astigmatism. Well, she came out 20/25 in the bad eye and 20/20 in the other eye (and it was no minor correction either). She's had zero issues since, except for getting older and needing reading glasses (they haven't quite figured out how to turn those hands back yet). So I guess you can chalk this as one vote for LASIK and Dr. Wolfson.

DT
redefined

Score: 1148

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post DT!
Jeff Foust

Score: 3901

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife just had PRK done in January (her eyes were too dry for LASIK).. Pretty much the same end result, but slightly different method. She was borderline legally blind without glasses/contacts and had pretty bad astigmatism as well. They got all that straight and she was 20/20 at her last checkup about a month ago, and they said she could continue to get even better than that over the next month or so.

Recovery time for PRK is a little longer and more uncomfortable, so I'm told LASIK is the way to go if possible, but it's well worth it no matter what way you go.

We did ours at the Emory Eye Center (she works for Emory, so they get a nice discount) and we had nothing but good things to say about the whole experience.

Something else to consider - we planned this about a year and a half ago, figured out what it would cost, then did the HSA that Emory offered.. They kicked in about $1200 to the HSA and we just put a few bucks in from every paycheck for a year, and that covered the whole procedure. It's probably too late to sign up for HSA now (if it's available) so you'd probably have to look at doing HSA for 2014 and having surgery sometime that year or early 2015, depending on if they will let you go into the red on your HSA or not and then just repay it over time.... Just a thought.
Austin18

Score: 4181

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had mine done at lasik plus, great, in and out in 1 hour ,no problems to date. That was 4 years ago. Now my wife is wanting me to get something done about my hearing.....fat chance......Doug
Darrin Tebbe
Out to pasture

Score: 28295

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin18 wrote:
Had mine done at lasik plus, great, in and out in 1 hour ,no problems to date. That was 4 years ago. Now my wife is wanting me to get something done about my hearing.....fat chance......Doug

WHAT? Laughing
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 46923

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emory eye can handle the vision, I can help with the hearing....c
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: