| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #13 Registration
2014-10-25 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
  GSKA 2014 Banquet Registration
2014-11-16 19:00:00 GMT+00:00
Rotax Max and/or TaG turnout for 2013?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeff bacon

Score: 15253

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to travel, Mooresville only allows the Leopard and Rotax engines, and Shelbyville seems to work best with the Leopard. The Yamaha is welcome at all the tracks as well.
www.jeffsgarageandspeedshop.com
www.gakartsales.com
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29235

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redefined wrote:
Yeah and I stated that above. But based on the tracks we like, which karts will be best and have the best turnout? That's why I stated it like that.

I agree that they will push what they sell, but chances of us buying new are slim to none anyway, ha!

Lets see, if you buy
Leopard: very good TAG engine, limited to TAG classes only. What I have seen on east coast, if there are Rotax classes, the rest TAG classes/engines are excluded and race by themselves (not fun).
X30: very good TAG engine, much less popular (whole last year I've seen maximum 5 in one class across many series), but you can race in TAG class if there is one.
Other TAG engines (Sonic, EasyKart, Rok*, Motori, PRD): they are pretty much in the same situation as above. Some clubs up North may have more TAGs, but not South-East, South.
Most Nationals series (WKA, SKUSA, USKRP?,...) maintain list of allowed engines or have for example Leopard only class. Where would you be with your Sonic, Rotax or X30? Yes, looking for TAG mixed engine class (strike, I can do it) or my engine class (yes, you can do it with Rotax only).

As you can see my post is Rotax biased. Rotax is always included in TAGmixed classes and they have huge national series with Rotax only local clubs.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33772

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to karting. Many choices and many opinions. Arguing Here is my words of wisdom, some will agree others will not.
1. Karting is much more complicated than people realize if you want to be fast and run up front.
2. I would always recommend a slower class first, then move up because there is so much to learn. I have seen my share of race car drivers come in and think they will be fast, but aren't. Chassis tuning is complicated and very different than cars.
3. Rotax is a good package and has it's advantages, but also has disadvantages.
4. TAG karts like the X30 and Leopard are also a good package and has it's advantages and disadvantages.
5. CMP will always be primarily Rotax
6. AMP will be primarily TAG and Shifter with some Yamaha.
7. MMX will be both Iame Leopard and Rotax, but my bet is more TAG. FYI, a Rotax is a TAG, but Rotax has it's own series. A Rotax does race with TAG's, but at some tracks they will have advantages and disadvantages. Rotax has a lot of mid range but is limited on bottom and top end. Most Tags have a good balanced power curve.
8. All of the above tracks have different tire spec's so welcome to buying tires for each track.

We all have our opinions, like Ihor said he is biased towards Rotax. Here in the south, it is a good choice and can;t go wrong. My personal choice of the TAG;s would not be Rotax, just because I hate the power curve, carb and the pipe. Oh and someone tells you they are all equal, that is just not true.

Last edited by John Wehrheim on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daniel White

Score: 6265

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ihor Bilyy wrote:

Clutch alone is $160, not $500 as Daniel said.

Ihor is right. The clutch (by itself) is $167 at Acceleration Karting. If you are changing over from the old-style to the new style (there are still engines out there for sale that still have the old style clutch), the cost is $525.

I had to have my clutch replaced. Almost all of us did when the new design became available (and some races, and series, mandated that Rotax karts have the new style) and we all paid $500. After I replaced mine the new clutch "broke," began dragging on the drum, and needed to be replaced. That cost me another $160 clams.

Here's the site that has all the prices:

http://www.accelerationkarting.com/newrotaxclutch.aspx
bspek

Score: 5042

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owning both Yamaha and Rotax karts in our first 2 years of karting, we've spent at least the same $ in maintaining Yamaha - if not more - than Rotax. Either way, buy a $1000 or less used chassis and a decent engine and you can be near the front in Yamaha. Rotax is awesome to drive but no one to race with at GSKA, whereas there are usually 7-12 Yamahas there.
KevinFrench

Score: 4287

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am one of the Rotax guys that has unfortunately not raced much locally the past two years. I raced only at Barnesville, rarely missing a race for two years and then wanted to branch out and try some larger tracks and larger events.

This year I am racing 1 Florida Winter Tour event and hope to run 4-5 more times if I'm lucky. There are 4 of us that typically try to go racing together and choose a track based on expected number of participants. I have heard of 4-6 new guys interested in getting into Rotax locally this year, so the potential for a good year is certainly there. I would love to see a Rotax comeback at Barnesville this year and hope to be part of it.

There are definitely some good options available for getting a competitive Rotax package for under $4K. If you want to stay local or regional you can even do better than that, but if you want to run larger events like FWT, you will want relatively fresh equipment.

Keep asking questions! You will see there is no lack of feedback on this site! The early action on the forum is another good sign in my opinion that 2013 may be a good year!

Kevin
Kosmic Mercury #602
redefined

Score: 1148

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to bring this back up. I looked at the first 2 race results. It looks like the first weekend there was a class for TAG which had 1 participant. In the second weekend it looks like TAG/Yamaha were joined together. Really wanting to get down there but having a Rotax I'm curious as to how it will be run. If there are only a few Rotax/Tag guys will we get put in with the Yamaha guys? I just don't want to be running alone or with 1 other person.

Thanks guys! Looking forward to getting down there asap.
jeff bacon

Score: 15253

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually with 3 or more in a class, we will run them in their own race, otherwise we will run them with the Yamahas. I am hoping we have better turnouts in Tag this year, Yamaha is definitely up.
www.jeffsgarageandspeedshop.com
www.gakartsales.com
edward 54

Score: 2236

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Rotax Max / Tag for 2013 Reply with quote

hi and goodafternoon to Mr,Danny k and Mr.Redefined iam edward 54 and i too own a rotax/arrow kart i was at both races 1 and 2 of this i didnt get to race the rotax at the first race but i did run it at the second race and i had a real good time. I had to run with the yamaha guys well behind them but still had a good time so if you do come you will see how well it runs. And thanks to Mr. Jeff Bacon on the right tire pressure to run it finally hook up i was having so much fun that i ran off the track with it, its a totally different kart to come pair with what iam running ( clone/rotax ) so iam still learning on how to tame the beast. So with that said hope to see you march 23 i will be there. my rotax is blue and my clone kart is black with numbers 54 on both.If any more info is needed contract any body on the webb site and they will help. Very Happy
bspek

Score: 5042

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotax Max / Tag for 2013 Reply with quote

Maybe to get more TAGs out we could have an open tire? AMP has Vega, GSKA has YLB, MMX has Hoosier, Rotax has Mojo. Worth considering since we don't get many guys out?

edward 54 wrote:
hi and goodafternoon to Mr,Danny k and Mr.Redefined iam edward 54 and i too own a rotax/arrow kart i was at both races 1 and 2 of this i didnt get to race the rotax at the first race but i did run it at the second race and i had a real good time. I had to run with the yamaha guys well behind them but still had a good time so if you do come you will see how well it runs. And thanks to Mr. Jeff Bacon on the right tire pressure to run it finally hook up i was having so much fun that i ran off the track with it, its a totally different kart to come pair with what iam running ( clone/rotax ) so iam still learning on how to tame the beast. So with that said hope to see you march 23 i will be there. my rotax is blue and my clone kart is black with numbers 54 on both.If any more info is needed contract any body on the webb site and they will help. :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> 2 Cycle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: