| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #8 Registration
2014-07-26 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
Ok racers-we want to hear from you! It is YOUR CLUB!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerry Wilson

Score: 6479

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is obvious to me that the majority of our club racers don't visit the forum or if they do, don't care to post their views. The only racers that made any kind of comment was Edward54 and Austin18.

I had very little input from anyone on the rules and the Board came up with a set of rules on what little we had to work with. And now all we hear is complaining and that we are forcing rules down your throats.

I see our President has posted the running order for Saturday and the name Clone Pro is changed to WKA Senior Clone and we have the Sportsman Class medium and heavy.

So it is what it is so suck it up and lets register and race.
Invader #9
Chuck Newman
Junior 4 Cycle Director

Score: 5438

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry,
While I understand the need/desire to improve kart counts and to try to include as many as possible, I would venture to say that the reason you didn't get much input on rules is because everyone was pretty satisfied with what they were, and we didn't really get any indication that change was coming. I understand the change to Clone Senior Heavy; if we're going to be a WKA affiliated club, we should follow WKA rules.

Local Option classes though, are different. Like Darrin, I believe that anyone who was running top three in Sportsman needs to move up and out, so I am. Consequently, I no longer have a dog in this fight, but I find it somewhat odd that the board would make changes to what is no doubt one of the most successful classes we had. Last year Clone Senior Sportsman had 122 entries spread among 35 different drivers. 9 different drivers managed to score a win, with only 2 drivers having more than 1.

Why in the world would you take a chance on messing that up?

If we need a Heavy Sportsman class, then add it (I'm not sure we do, one of the Barnes brothers managed a win). If the results over the year indicate that they can be combined, do it the following year, but to risk losing entries this year for the sake of change doesn't make sense.

Then again, that's just my opinion. I'm fairly new to kart racing, but I've been around racing for all of my adult life. The one thing that I know about rules and the rules-making process is that the most important thing you can have is stability. New classes need to be very carefully thought out, with consideration given to their impact on the other classes. Gains are made when classes attract new racers, not by classes that encourage existing racers to move from one class to another. If you're going to eliminate classes, establish minimum participation numbers. If a class doesn't meet the minimum participation, it gets cut, but at least then the membership has a chance to see it coming, and there are no surprises when a class you were thinking about running disappears ( Clone Medium).

Having said all of this, I still appreciate the hard work and time that you and the rest of the board put into this effort. It's a thankless job, and there's a reason that very few people spend more than a year or two serving a race organization. At the end of the day, or week in this case, everyone will adapt, and there will be a race on Saturday.

See you at the track,
Chuck
Kerry Wilson

Score: 6479

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, thanks for your comment. We all knew how successful the Sportsman class was last year and initially we only added the heavy class to it because the desire to add it was expressed.

If you see me Saturday I will be glad to share with you why we made the wording change to make it a medium and heavy class.

You are right, it is a thankless job and I was 4 cycle director another time a few years ago and said I would never accept the position again but I did.

Anyway, hope to see you Saturday.
Invader #9
Austin18

Score: 4181

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry, You do a fine job, and you take great pictures too......Doug
mike sibley

Score: 605

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry,
I will agree with Chuck 100%. He stated it very well. I was in sportsman last year also and I am new to Kart racing as well. My racing in the past was auto dirt racing. I understood the rules in sportsman last year not that everyone went by them and also was planning on moving out of that calss this year. I was planning on going to Medium class because I knew that I was still one second behind the Heavy class. Now that there is no Medium class that leaves me only the pro class knowing that I will more than likely be in there way. If the sportsman class draws drivers from the past heavy class with the rule change I may run with the numbers. It just makes it a hard decision to make. We are not trying to make it any harder on the board members than I know it already is, we will get through this and have a great year. My vote would have been to run medium class.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: