| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #12 Registration
2014-09-20 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
GSKA Race #1 on Feb 16.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerry Wilson

Score: 6479

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: GSKA Race #1 on Feb 16. Reply with quote

Hard to believe that the 1st race is only 2 weeks away.

I am going to review some of the changes made in Senior Clone classes to try to avoid confussion:

1) Full Width Bumpers: Although this is not addressed in the rules, the Board has decided not to implement full width bumpers until Race #8 on August 10th.

2) When you look at the class structure in the main heading Classes on GSKA website and you click on complete 4 cyle rules at bottom of page and then click on 2013 rules, you will notice in the Sportsman wording the term "novice" and also wording that the Board can move you up if they desire. This wording is incorrect, The correct wording is found in the main heading Classes in the Sportsman rules and drops "novice" and that the Board can move you up.

3) Spec tire and wheel: In Sportsman we are alllowing all competitors a 2 race grace period to run any 5 or 6 inch tire before going to the spec tire and wheel. This was done mainly to allow a racer who has never raced GSKA 2 races to decide if he or she wants to continue racing with GSKA before having to purchase spec tires and wheels. Another reason we are going to spec tire and wheel was that the current 6" Firestone YKD's are no longer being produced. So, for anyones 1st 2 races in Sportsman we are allowing you this leeway.

I hope this makes some things clearer. If you have any question about the Senior 4 cyle rules please respond to this thread or feel free to pm any question to me.

Hope to see all you Senior 4 cycle guys at the 1st race. Don't forget to pre-register.
Invader #9
Kerry Wilson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update and let everyone know, the wording in topic 2) above has been changed and the wording is now correct.

Just to be more specific, the eligibility wording in the document now is:

The Sportsman class is intended to be an entry level class or for drivers not wishing to compete at the Pro level. This class is intended to be a more affordable class.
Invader #9
Chickenbone

Score: 133

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please define "Pro". I would definitely not consider myself a professional Go Kart racer.

I was under the impression that all of the clone classes were supposed to be affordable.

The best I can tell is that we will only have a handful in the so called "Pro" class, what is the board trying to do to grow this class?
Kerry Wilson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Clone Pro Class can be more expensive than the Sportsman class if you run a disk clutch. This class follows WKA Senior Class rules to the letter. Anyone can run the Pro class but you will be competing with the top drivers who have run this class many years and most have competed in WKA Gold Cup events. That being said, you could run a drum shoe clutch which will reduce the cost of running this class. Also the weight of this class is 375. As far as growing this class the last 3 races last year averaged 10 entrants and during the year most was 17 entries and the least 6. I don't see a problem with this class not growing.

The Sportsman class is intended as basically an entry level class or for those not wishing to run Pro. With a medium weight (360) which runs mini pipe and muffler and heavy (400) which is allowed the open pipe and muffler and these classes will be run together and scored as 1 class. This class also had a good entry turnout last year and is our fastest growing class. I think we have a few drivers that ran Sportsman last year going to Pro.

It is your call, you don't have to be a Pro to race Pro class. We just called it Pro, we could have just called it Senior Clone.

I hope I answered your question.
Invader #9
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 47301

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicken bone-the term "Pro" is simply a name used to differentiate World Karting Association (WKA) classes, which the GSKA follows, from our very popular local option "Sportsman" class. The WKA 2013 updated rules now allow disc clutches, which are more expensive. We have tried to keep racers costs down with the Sportsman class, which restricts clutches to the more affordable drum clutches.

Barnesville is unusual in that many of our local racers are nationally ranked competitors. The Pro vs Sportsman classes allows all GSKA racers to run in a class they , and their wallets, feel comfortable in!

Hope this helps. Come race with us. c
Austin18

Score: 4181

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$60-Flywheel
$200-Tires
$300-Clutch
Chasing the leader the next year in racing no matter what the cost...PRICELESS!!!
mike sibley

Score: 605

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin I think you left just a couple of things out of your list.

$140 wheels to mount those $200 tires on
$150 body to cover those tires
$2000 chassis to put those tires and wheels on
$500 motor to run all of the above.
$400 computer to make sure all are working together just right

And lets not forget that $$$$ trailer to carry all of our cheap toys in...
Kerry Wilson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think about it, cost for running Sportsman vs. Pro is basically the same. Just $300 more for a disk clutch. Face it, racing is not cheap but karting is the cheapest form of racing. You just have to come off the wallet if you want to be up front.
Invader #9
mike sibley

Score: 605

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you compare it to any other hobby it is about the same. Bass fishing would be well over what you spend on racing just the boat alone is 30,000 to 60,000 but if you see my wife at the track don't breath a word of this.
John Horst

Score: 150

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the previous two postings, why are there different rules for the Sportsman and "Pro" classes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> 4 Cycle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: