| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
Where can I get 112 octane gas for Vintage?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 47544

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Where can I get 112 octane gas for Vintage? Reply with quote

Sunoco? Avgas? Does Steve Roberts carry it?

Keep sticking vintage 2 stroke engines! c
mike sibley

Score: 605

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Chip,
You can get av gas at the airport at the racea track on 19-41. It has a self serve pump that all you need is a credit card. Good luck.
Badbandit12

Score: 2441

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What engine are you running this in ? And what cc ? I'm sure its a two stoke, we tested a lot of fuels when we were racing two stroke GP bikes .
Austin18

Score: 4198

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exit 222 off 75 south at the Chevron. They have vp racing fuel.{jodeco rd}

Last edited by Austin18 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike-Thanks! I'll be down there this week!

BB-it is TWIN 8.2 cubic engines (16.4 ci total) and about 300 cc total

I run them at about 9200 rpms max ( or let's say I should)

I have stuck 4 engines in the last 2 years, the last two together at Barnesville.

What brand/type oild should I run?

What ratio should I run?

all help is appreciated!

This kart will go to a triple engine after the Vintage event-why?-too much is just enough!

Watch old guys go crazy fast on hard, skinny tires!

Barnesville Vintage March 14, 15 and 16, 2013

Sat is the best day with kart show in the am, practice next, then the final heats.

See two time IFK world champ go kart and NASCAR racer Lake Speed and our own Dickey Wilson go at it at or under our Barnesville track record!
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin18 wrote:
Exit 222 off 75 south at the BP. They have vp racing fuel.{jodeco rd}

Austin18-Thankmyou much! c
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33772

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to play it safe. Use 8oz/gallon Burris Caster or use 4oz Burris Caster with 4oz of Burris Blend.
Michael Jackson

Score: 5336

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Octane isn't your problem high speed fuel mixture or choice of oil is. Those 820's should need no more than 93 if even that much. At least 8oz. to a gallon and a rich HS setting just below 4 cycle (missing) Some where around 2 turns out. All 110-118 does is take power away from those engines. Doubt that they have more than 9-1 compression. I was an expert at sticking a Mac with ether av gas and methanol. Guess that is why I like clones. They will keep coming back even if lean or over heated. 2 strokes don't like either one of those.

I assume you have tillotson carbs. I know the Yamaha and the Tillotsons from EC contradict what I wrote. They set them up not to idle and run off of the low speed side but Vintage is about longevity and ease of maintenance. If you have a temp gauge watch the temperature because a lean condition will rise quickly. 350 is meltdown for most of the old 2 smokers where as a Clone is just getting into its element.
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS WHAT I BELIEVE IN RUNNING DUAL 820s

Michael-I am getting conflicting information, including from my engine man who had 3 mid-west enduro championships buiilding and running West Bend 820s (only) and his son doing the driving.

Oil reduces octane rating of gasoline, so I have been told to increase octane ratings to offset this and preventing detonation. Also high octane av fuel hads a high lead content for lubrication. so go for av fuel?!

The more oil contained in the fuel (fuel/oil ratio), the less cooing effect on the engine since gasoline cools better than oil. 8oz of oil to 1 gal of gasoline is a good ratio.

Castro oil lubricates best. Run some acetone with it so it mixes with the gas well. and have the fuel and oil "warm" before mixing

Run the engine as rich as it can take: The jets out til it just starts to 4 cycle at the fastest point on the trac: i agree with this

do not run over 4-425 degrees-keep track of temp with temp gauges (you had mentioned 320 which seems low

do not run over 9200, or 8700 rpms! keep track of the rpms with tachs

run alcohol, it really helps with the cooling

Even Darrin and Steve Roberts got into a discussion about this yesterday at Steve's shop, with the two having different opinions!

and yest, I run a clone during regular season and have since 2008 c
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33772

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr chip. Not to get in an Argument but how is it that a Yamaha Pipe turning 15,000 rpm or a TAG turning 17,000 rpm or an ICA turning 20,000 rpm run perfectly fine on 98-110 octane with 8oz of Castor oil per gallon with no seizures of course provided you have it jetted properly. The main factors of why u will stick a motor are: Carb Settings, Ignition Timing and quality of Oil. Also on a pipe if the flex is too short it will suck the motor dry. You can also cold stick the motor if it is not warmed up properly and or the piston to wall clearance are not set correctly.

What oil have you been running and how many oz to the gallon?

Also I have always been told never run AV gas due to the additives.
Also you do not need to add additives to castor to have it mix properly. When it is cold, make sure you shake the fuel jug and the tank on your kart well. When it's cold it can separate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: