| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #8 Registration
2014-07-26 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
Track orientation?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 46242

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Track orientation? Reply with quote

Met 2 new kid racers today and their parents were asking how a new driver could get orientated to the track, their kart and racing.

I would like to hear from anyone at any age who would be interested in a track orientation day. It could be based on some of the driving courses that I have taken: start with a sit down discussion time to discuss the track layout, rules, flags,,and the proper "race line". Next we could walk the track, noticing the serf ace, braking and turn-in points. The into the karts with lead-follow lapping behind a seasoned racer,,then take the lead with the experienced karter following behind and observing.

The lapping would be slow at first, then speeds would be increased as the new drivers improve their knowledge and hone their driving skills.

Next would be lapping on your own, some practice starts and even a short practice race to practice what you have learned.

Let me hear from anyone who might be interested..c
Jeff Foust

Score: 3710

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it sounds like a great idea and I would definitely have my son out there for it if something were put together before the start of the season. We've talked a lot about flags, race line, what goes on during a race day, etc, but I think being there and actually walking through it all would do him a lot of good. Especially building up some seat time with someone to follow and get a feel for the track.

The only concern I have is that an 8 year old's attention span is about 40 seconds, especially when there's driving to be done! And when you get a herd of them together (ie: cub scouts) it can get pretty out of hand at times. Hopefully dangling the carrot of track time in front of them would be enough to keep them in line for the talk and walk part..
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Fogot about their attention span...

Get in the karts and get on the track..that might work..c
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33468

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the attention span is short, but I have found that you keep their interest level by asking them questions and having them tell you and show you what they learned.
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, John.

I propose we let the new racers on the track first during the practice session, at our first race, under supervision. We,could do a brief talk session first, then on track with an experienced racer for slower laps following the race line, then gradually increasing speeds.

We now have at least 3 new kid racers, with more expected. ALL racers of any age can participate in this orientation sessions..c
Chuck Newman
Junior 4 Cycle Director

Score: 5436

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three words= Novice kid class....

We've been adding classes left and right; this is one that would pay huge dividends by getting them started right, and helping retain them.
Xracing36

Score: 1705

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a kid of age fourteen with three younger brothers and a little sister around the ages of Kid Clone and Clone Jr 1, I'd be more than happy to help them out. Because of where I am located, I'd only be able to make it down to the track on weekends, but if they want some help on anything, tell them or their parents to get them there one day to test out some basic tire pressures, and just run stints of ten laps or less, and slowly pick it up until it is a little more than a feature race. Biggest deal there for me was getting used to being consistent timewise. If they are discouraged with their lap times, let them know that it looks like we may be getting a repave soon, so that even though for the first few races they may be behind the eight ball, the whole field of competition will have a pretty equal reset for the new track repave and possible configuration.
DigiDAL Racing

Score: 585

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are one of the new families and would love to have an orientation. There is alot to learn. I think it is extremely important to teach the kids how to handle themselves in a safe and couteous manner on the track. I appreciate the help everyone has offered us. Everyone has been more than willing to help our son! We are very excited about GSKA!
Let us know if this happens and we are there!
David Lawrence-#13
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van Goes! Let's plan for a session at the first race. We can do it before or during practice. Look for me!

ps: we met at Roberts Kart Shop! c
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: