| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #13 Registration
2014-10-25 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
  GSKA 2014 Banquet Registration
2014-11-16 19:00:00 GMT+00:00
Someone asked so I will tell

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike sibley

Score: 605

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Someone asked so I will tell Reply with quote

I have sat back and tried to let things play out but now am tired of sitting. Someone asked me yesterday what I thought of the rules for this year so I will try to explain my position. While racing in the Sportsman class last year was very rewarding it was also very stressful. The reason for the stress is the rules that are in play for that class. You race and do good, and then you are worried about getting kicked out of that class for the rest of the year. You would lose your points and get booted up a class. Now I know that this was going to be at the boards discretion but the threat is still there for new racers that do not know whom the board is. Been their done that, not againÖ. Then in the rules it says for entry level or for drivers not wishing to compete at the pro level. Through the year there were drivers that were by no means entry level drivers but were allowed to race in that class. Lets face it and call it what it was and is, a Medium class that anyone can run in. Just Call it a Medium class and drop the unenforced nonbinding rules at the end and race the two classes medium and heavy. I think that you would then have two classes with enough racers in each that would make for some great races. As far as racing a Heavy in with the so called entry level racer is that fair? Even though they are suppose to be close to the same no matter who wins you would always have it in the back of your head that he won because of a difference no matter what that difference was heavy, light, big pipe, small pipe. I do not think you are going to have very happy racers by the end of the season because you will always be changing the rules during the year to make one or the other happy. By having one Medium class and one Heavy class you get rid of the difference in the rules, the problem of running two different weights in the same class, two classes that anyone can run in as long as they can meet the weight. The so called cost savings in the sportsman class amounts to what about $45 for a header, canít even get into one race for that so that does not hold water either. Itís time to stop being like the government and making up more rules and drop some of the ones that are not working and lets go racing.
Clint

Score: 1054

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will respectfully disagree with some of your points. The sportsman class is a great entry level class. This class has brought in a lot of new, and old racers back, to karting. Some of those racers won't race at all, if put into a pro class. Some don't want to, and some shouldn't, be in the pro medium or pro heavy. There are a couple of guys that are ready to move up to medium or heavy. That being said, there were a couple of racers that should not have been allowed to race in that class last year. Personally, I like watching that class race.

If I am able to run any this season and the entries are there, I will run pro medium. It isn't any fun riding around with 2 or 3 people. That is the reason I moved to heavy those few races I ran last year.
Kerry Wilson

Score: 6479

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make it simple and try to clear things up about Pro and Sportsman class.

Clone Pro is 1 weight (375) and open clutch and all clone classes have 4 flywheel choices:

Flywheels: Stock cast flywheel not permitted. The following flywheels are the only approved flywheels: (1)
ARC Model 6619, (2)PVL, (3) Raceseng REV WHEEL - FINNED - S1, all at a minimum weight of 3 pounds
2 ounces.
The Speed Karts Steel Billet S1 flywheel is also approved at a minimum weight of 5 pounds, 3 ounces. No
machining or alterations of any kind are allowed. Ignition coil must be stock, but ignition timing is non tech.
The flywheel may be run with or without a key.

Clone Sportsman class we dropped the novice and just made it an entry level class and dropped the wording that the board can move you up to Pro.

We kept the weight at 360 and added the heavy wt. (400) to run open pipe which we hope will make up for added weight. We also decided to allow only drum shoe clutches.

This class is for those wishing to run medium and heavy without the added cost of have to purchase a disk clutch and also an entry level class that worked well last year. This class is no different from last year with the exception of the added heavy weight and removal of wording that you can be moved up.

I realize that no matter what we as the board decide we can not make everyone happy but we try.

Before our meeting to discuss and vote on rules I had a few to tell me that they wanted us to use WKA rules on clutch, tires and weight which is what we voted on for the Pro Class. Since the Sportsman class worked well last year we changed it very little.
Invader #9
Clint

Score: 1054

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. Sorry, I was mislead by the clone medium topic from last week.
Austin18

Score: 4187

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for a medium and heavy class, with rookies racing in those respective classes. when signing in, an R by their name and after their number on the kart, awards would be distributed accordingly.Same rules apply in both classes. Thank you Jason.......,..Doug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: