| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #11 Registration
2014-09-06 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
Rotax Max and/or TaG turnout for 2013?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amax20

Score: 3643

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hours cant tell you. never kept track of hours on anything. the compression on the rotax, and usually race weekends on the yamaha. Even for me at the initial cost of the two i always came out better on the yamaha. NOW with that being said. i had tons of fun on the rotax stuff. since yamaha's dont really give the kick they use to.
Daniel White

Score: 6196

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redefined wrote:
Hey guys this is DannyK's buddy who's wanting to get into Karting with him. You stated that cost alone is enough for some guys to get into the KT100 karts, maybe we are looking at something wrong but it seems that Kart in the end will cost a good bit more money. Rebuilds need to happen about 5x as often vs a TAG/Rotax Kart with the KT100, am I wrong? I thought I read 4hr vs 20/30hr? The initial cost of the TAG/Rotax is higher but overall it seems cheaper to maintain, though there is a good chance I'm wrong about this, .!!

As Jeff said, this is essentially true. Rotaxes need a top end at 15-20 hours ($300-ish) and a full rebuild at 40-50 ($1000-ish). I had my Rotax for four years and only had about 35 hours on it, and I only had a top end rebuild on it in 2010.

Yamahas should last 10 hours between rebuilds, as I understand it.

Then again, these numbers go down significantly, in both categories, for guys who race nationally.

Both packages can be frustrating in their own way. In Rotax, it was replacement costs. And while there is no guarantee that something will need to be replaced, it happened to me . . . a lot.

Here are some general comparisons:

Starter: Rotax $225 (replaced mine in '09); Yamaha $100

Exhaust: Rotax $400 (only had to replace the matting a few times, $15 each); Yamaha $80 for can; $200 for the new pipe

Battery: Rotax (I had to replace mine once), you gotta keep these charged up or you may lose performance, $85, and you will need a trickle charger and, possibly, a generator to keep the battery charged all day. You will definitely need a recharge for a 2-day race meeting; Yamaha: external starter that will need to be charged, but engine performance is unaffected.

Carburetor: (this was the biggest pain for me but for others it wasn't so bad) Rotax $400, and you will need several jets @ $5 each, and possibly jetting software, a method to obtain weather conditions (an app or a weather station, ~$300).; Yamaha $300 or so, easier to set

Clutch: Rotax $500 for the latest package, and I had to replace the clutch once: avoid the old-style clutch (major pain); new-style ones are maintenance free; Yamaha, $300, service regularly, particularly the dry (faster) type.

Generally, a Rotax uses up tires, chains and gears a bit quicker than a Yamaha.

Rib vest: You will not need one in a Yamaha, though you may want one anyway. You will definitely need one in Rotax (I broke ribs right away while not using one). You can get one for $60-ish, or spend $200+
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33578

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is making good points, but the real question in my mind is:
-What is your Budget for Initial Buy
-What is your Annual Budget
-How often do you plan to race
-Where do you want to race (tracks)
-Do you have karting experience, if so how much
edward 54

Score: 2177

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Rotax Max / Tag for 2013 Reply with quote

hi danny my name is edward i have a rotax too with a bmax chassis i brought it last year but didnt get to race it due to lack of experience with a 2 stoke motor. i did run last year in the sportman clone class and finish 4 overall jest to get the seat time. iam trying to get the rotax going for this year 2013 so i will have it ready for the first race of the season i hope so come on and join tne crowd in karting at barnesville we came learn and have fun and race together. You will never know i might be faster then me first time out and there is always somebody to talk to help you along feel free to call me any time day / night 770 276-0031 or
404 314-0277 both cell numbers. hope to hear you Trophy EDWARD 54
redefined

Score: 1148

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post John, and I agree so let me run down that list.

First off I just got off the phone with AMP and he helped a lot too, going to go up to the track this weekend to talk with them.

That being said AMP will probably be our home track, it's the closest as well. They, the guys at AMP, said their largest class is by far TAG which holds true for tracks like AMP and CMP or other larger tracks. These are the ones we are probably more interested in as I have a background on car tracks. I've tracked things from stock BMW M3's to almost fully prepped IP M3 race cars, yet I have no experience in Karting, other than fun outings at Andretti's. So Kart racing, no experience.

Buy in budget depends on what is included. Extra parts? Trailer? etc. For a solid Kart package I'd really like to find a used setup for in the $4k range.

Anual budget, few grand probably not counting any fatal kart errors.

How much to race: Possibly an AMP series, Barnesville, 5'sh series out of state. I'd say 10-15 races per year plus fun weekends up at AMP or others with friends.

So it sounds like we kinda made up our minds after talking with the guys at AMP, though I'm willing to bet it's skewed towards TAG because that's what they really want? Dunno.

Hope that helps some.

Edward thanks for the post too!! Will you be out at any tracks before the first race? Maybe Danny and I could come say hey. I'd like to get out and know some people, maybe get a lap in to see how the Karts react. I might text you later just to start up the convo! Thanks!

Last edited by redefined on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29147

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I raced Rotax in 2006-2007, then focused on my son, first in Rotax Minimax, now in Rotax jr.
Engines cost:
- bought 1 used (2001) in 2007 for $1800, sold two years later for $1200 with nothing done to engine.
- bought 1 new (2009) in 2009 for $2900 with MiniMax configuration (8-12y.o) and still using it in Rotax Junior. Did 2 top end rebuilds ($300), one complete rebuild $1300 and one clutch conversion for about $600.
Clutch alone is $160, not $500 as Daniel said.

I did not have to change anything since 2007, still using the same carb (kept one I got with 2001 engine). Gears and chains are going fast, we use one front gear per about year and have all rear gears in range of 70-84. Exhaust packing ($20) goes one per year. battery is good for about 2 years, we always have newer and older (just in case). I can't think about anything else.
When I had old style clutch, I replaced it few times and tried to save old with clutch repair kit (not worth buying).

Rotax do not need any maintenance, except cleaning clutch drum, replacing gear oil (I use 0w40) every couple of months (not critical) and charge battery. Often we decide on Thursday to go racing, I put battery on charge and do nothing else since last race.

MMX (Mooresville, NC) will have their first year of local racing. I bet all classes will be packed. Rotax Nationals are in Mooresville this year.
CMP (Kershaw, SC) have great junior program, with many mini and jr drivers, some moving up to Sr level; not many Tags.
Monticello, FL can't detach from EasyKart, they usually have one big class of 15-20 drivers in it and kids class if there are some. My son raced jr with everybody else (adults), it was fun.
AMP is still delivering local series, who knows how will it look like.

As for Barnesville, 2 cycle will never die here. Rotax was big few years back, now its Yamaha. After track modifications it will get faster karts for sure.
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29147

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMP is sponsored and backed up by TS Racing and TS Racing is selling Parilla X30. Of course they will tell you what is the best.
You have the option to listen to karters or to distributors. Guess who will be more honest? They even discouraged Rotax from AMP by adding extra weight. It is up to you if you want to spend most of the time at AMP. Did they not asked you to join for only $2000 a year?
edward 54

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Rotax Max / Tag for 2013 Reply with quote

sure feel free to text or call like said if the rotax series do not kick off in bville like it should than i will still have it maybe i can practice with the yamaha guys no since in a good kart going to waste. edward 54
redefined

Score: 1148

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ihor Bilyy wrote:
AMP is sponsored and backed up by TS Racing and TS Racing is selling Parilla X30. Of course they will tell you what is the best.
You have the option to listen to karters or to distributors. Guess who will be more honest? They even discouraged Rotax from AMP by adding extra weight. It is up to you if you want to spend most of the time at AMP. Did they not asked you to join for only $2000 a year?

Yeah and I stated that above. But based on the tracks we like, which karts will be best and have the best turnout? That's why I stated it like that.

I agree that they will push what they sell, but chances of us buying new are slim to none anyway, ha!
edward 54

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Rotax Max / Tag for 2013 Reply with quote

check out our classified section they a couple karts for sell with or without motors. arrows/rotax motors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> 2 Cycle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: