| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #9 Registration
2014-08-09 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
Enduro options
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like to have the option to run either way?
Yes
52%
 52%  [ 9 ]
No
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Voted :
Total Votes : 17
- Poll expired -

David Murry

Score: 93

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Enduro options Reply with quote

It was suggested by someone for the enduro to use each drivers kart instead of sharing one. I know a number of folks don't want to put 1 or 2 hours on their kart and engine. With the weight having to go by the lightest driver it emphasizes finding co-drivers that weight the same.

Option 1) Driver 1 starts the race in his/her kart and in the pit stop driver 2 continues in his/her kart.

Option 2) Run 1 kart for entire race changing drivers at pit stop.

Each person could decide to run option 1 or option 2. Thoughts?
jjkummer

Score: 878

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Option one would work better for us, as it is hard to find someone close to the same height and more importantly same weight to run with. If we have to share a kart this will more than likely put us out of running the race. I dont see a point in racing if one of the drivers will be at a significant disadvantage. Jmo
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 46481

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the option of using your own kart. More people, more fun!

Team would have to exchange transponders during drive/kart changes, but this is easy. Transponders can be carried in the drivers pocket and handed off easily. We do this at the vintage event since we have a shortage of transponders.

I think the karts comming off the track would have to be weighed. Bes5 would before they come off the track, but that would not be reasonable. Prob each kart of each team would have to be weighed before the event and marked. C
RKS

Score: 803

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the jr class I agree on the two karts. It will be hard to match everyone up with such a wide age difference.

On the other hand with the adults running for two hours two karts would be a huge benefit. It would be like having two sets of tires without having the loss of time to change them. The main part of a enduro is being able to complete it with no failures on one kart.
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RKS wrote:
With the jr class I agree on the two karts. It will be hard to match everyone up with such a wide age difference.

On the other hand with the adults running for two hours two karts would be a huge benefit. It would be like having two sets of tires without having the loss of time to change them. The main part of a enduro is being able to complete it with no failures on one kart.

Steve-I thought of that. But I was thinking of us old guys. I would run the enduro if I could get up with a team of several senior citizens! I can't do 1 hr myself. And I would be much more comfortable in my kart. And I don't think us old guys would really be any challenge to you young guns, like you and Matt!

Just thinking of ways to get more to participate. Again I d consider running with multiple drvers and multiple karts.

But I am open to any suggestions/decisions. I just know for me, multiple drivers/karts would be the difference of me racing or not. c
jjkummer

Score: 878

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the jr's are allowed to use their own kart they could pair up with the other age group and neither driver would suffer that way more people could have the oppurtunity to race.
DrChip
2014 President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjkummer wrote:
If the jr's are allowed to use their own kart they could pair up with the other age group and neither driver would suffer that way more people could have the oppurtunity to race.

My goal in karting is INCLUSION, not EXCLUSION! c
Chuck Newman
Junior 4 Cycle Director

Score: 5465

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of different karts for the Juniors...We're in the same position as the Kummers, only on the other end of the weight and height scale.

As far as the seniors go, I agree with Steve in principle, but I have heard of very few guys who have been able to find a suitable (weight) partner. If the goal is fundraising for the club, we need to find a way to have as many entries as possible.

One way that SCCA does regional enduro's is to have a long mandatory pitstop. The officials audit the mylaps, and you have to have a laptime that equals your fastest lap time, plus the mandatory stopped time in the pits and whatever the time is that it takes to exit and enter the pit lane. If you did that, there would be time to safely add or remove lead, refuel, change tires...Just an idea.

CN

Last edited by Chuck Newman on Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chuck Newman
Junior 4 Cycle Director

Score: 5465

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another idea would be to have a single kart class and a multi kart class run at the same time for two different sets of trophies...

CN
Darrin Tebbe
Out to pasture

Score: 28149

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with multiple karts per team is that all the karts will have to be inside the oval before the start, and you will have a entire set of "dead" karts sitting on the oval at all times. Then when pit stops / driver changes are being made the number will go up drastically, and safe operating space goes down dramatically. Not a good situation, especially in the Jr classes.

Then there is double (or triple) the tech, multiple kart numbers for the same "team", and transponders will have to also be switched during the changeover. Lots of administrative overhead, with much opportunity for error.

Maybe a good idea at a larger place that had a true hot pit, but not at our place.

DT
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: