| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #13 Registration
2014-10-25 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
  GSKA 2014 Banquet Registration
2014-11-16 19:00:00 GMT+00:00
Notes to new Race Director
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29238

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Notes to new Race Director Reply with quote

In 4 cycle world, bodywork is almost always covering front and rear tires. So starting side by side is safe and maybe make sense (I did not hear any good reasons to do so other than "WKA is doing that").
In 2 cycle, rear tires are always (with exception of rain setup) stick outside of side pods and front tires are always outside of front bumper. So side contacts of 2 cycle karts are dangerous and 99% of all flip overs in 2 cycles happened during side contacts.
So tell me, why is it so hard to put cones in the middle for 2 cycle classes to avoid contact on a start?

Tag (with exception of EasyKart) and Rotax comes with radiators. Its being rule for ever to let water cooled engines to heat water by letting them to make 1 or 2 full laps. In Barnesville it was always many oval laps before coming to start line. How much seconds will it take from race schedule?

KidKarts usually very bad with starts. Do not make it worse by letting them stop on a course. We have oval and were able to manage them to go slow together without need to stall engines.

Green flag. It would be much better if green flag showed not 1-2 yards from karts.
By standing right on a line with cones, you have no chance not to show green flag. Nobody will see what you did.
mike sibley

Score: 605

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: could not agree more Reply with quote

I could not agree more with all points. Not only do engines have time to warm up but no laps at all in the oval means that a group of karts are going into turn 1 in a group with cold tires, this could only mean trouble waiting to happen.
bspek

Score: 5042

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: race Reply with quote

First race for a new team of people is challenging, and I thank everyone who is helping to run GSKA this year. Ihor made some good points worth considering.

Re: the TAG comment - lap one felt like driving on ice and my fault that I went off in lap one. (..now wasting $ replacing engine mount clamps...!) Luckily there were only 4 TAG's on the track. We had asked for at least one warm up lap prior to the final race but it was not allowed. Yamaha's are much slower and the oval is adequate in my opinion, since the race start is very slow. We'll stick to KT's for the time being, and hope the GSKA will review some of the comments in these posts.

Overall it was a good day at GSKA and should get better as the season unfolds.

mike sibley wrote:
I could not agree more with all points. Not only do engines have time to warm up but no laps at all in the oval means that a group of karts are going into turn 1 in a group with cold tires, this could only mean trouble waiting to happen.
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 47408

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already discussed this with Bob B.

Please remember that this was the first race of the year, with a new president and a new race director. And we were running out of daylight!

I assure you that we are working to correct these first race day jitters.

Please remember that Bob is : Racing, pres. of both the GSKA AND the co-ordinator of the Bville Vintage races, AND coordinating the Divisional and Gold Cup WKA races.

It was not easy finding someone who would take this on. Darin did it for 2 year AND was treasurer, and he was there helping out Sat while trying to crew for his son.

And it was not easy to find a new race co-ordinator who had karting experience. Particularly at Barnesville: we had, ah, one candidate!

We will continue to make karting at Barnesville the best it can be. I only ask that ALL Board of Directors AND track day participants step in and help out!

This will be our best season ever...

BARNESVILLE is BACK! c
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29238

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is all understandable, but please be open to suggestions. "I know what I'm doing ... blah years in karting" is not attitude for somebody who just starting as a race director.

This is about any job - if you know what you are doing and you doing something wrong, be prepared to be criticized.
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 47408

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ihor Bilyy wrote:
It is all understandable, but please be open to suggestions. "I know what I'm doing ... blah years in karting" is not attitude for somebody who just starting as a race director.

This is about any job - if you know what you are doing and you doing something wrong, be prepared to be criticized.

Point taken Ihor-WE want Barnesville to be the best it can be!

And I am an advocate for kid karting: Karting has been good to me!

I for one have tough skin-I was in medical sales and manufacturing for 15 years and got "beat up" by customers all the time. My goal is to continue making things better.

"You have the righ to remain silent...but it will do you no good..."

"The only thing I have not learned is how to read minds.." c
Tony Smith

Score: 320

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am willing to listen to any sugestions anyone has to make everyones day at the races a good one.

I will be at the track next week for the vintage race. Feel free to come and talk to me. I am open minded and willing to work with everyone.

I want this year to be a fun experience for the racers, crews, parents, and myself. I am doing this to serve the club and get to know the people that I
don't know at the track.

I love karting. And Barnesville is my home track. Let's work together to make things better for everyone going forward.
bspek

Score: 5042

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Notes to new Race Director Reply with quote

GSKA - please consider Ihor's note below regarding the starts for the 2 cycle due to track width. Here's a shot from the start when someone almost flipped over - one rear tire hit another rear tire and sent a kart into the air. Ihor suggested putting the cone in the middle of the track between the 2 columns of karts - not saying this will ensure accidents don't happen, but will get us further apart from each other at the start and reduce the risk of these types of accidents. Here's a pic of the rear tires hitting when the inside kart slid sideways into the other kart's wheel.
Thanks
Brian

Pic: http://www.flickr.com/photos/51019052@N03/7104366223/in/photostream

Ihor Bilyy wrote:
In 4 cycle world, bodywork is almost always covering front and rear tires. So starting side by side is safe and maybe make sense (I did not hear any good reasons to do so other than "WKA is doing that").
In 2 cycle, rear tires are always (with exception of rain setup) stick outside of side pods and front tires are always outside of front bumper. So side contacts of 2 cycle karts are dangerous and 99% of all flip overs in 2 cycles happened during side contacts.
So tell me, why is it so hard to put cones in the middle for 2 cycle classes to avoid contact on a start?

Tag (with exception of EasyKart) and Rotax comes with radiators. Its being rule for ever to let water cooled engines to heat water by letting them to make 1 or 2 full laps. In Barnesville it was always many oval laps before coming to start line. How much seconds will it take from race schedule?

KidKarts usually very bad with starts. Do not make it worse by letting them stop on a course. We have oval and were able to manage them to go slow together without need to stall engines.

Green flag. It would be much better if green flag showed not 1-2 yards from karts.
By standing right on a line with cones, you have no chance not to show green flag. Nobody will see what you did.
amax20

Score: 3643

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its racing...take the cone out, move the start back to the finish line and let them race to the first turn..lord we've put full bumpers, front nose cones,side pods all that garbage on them to be "safe", race with out all that and than after a couple of trips on your head you figure out hey i cant do that. sorry just venting..
Darrin Tebbe
Out to pasture

Score: 28560

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amax20 wrote:
its racing...take the cone out, move the start back to the finish line and let them race to the first turn..lord we've put full bumpers, front nose cones,side pods all that garbage on them to be "safe", race with out all that and than after a couple of trips on your head you figure out hey i cant do that. sorry just venting..

My sentiments exactly... a cone in the middle of the track (or anywhere else at the starting point) is not going to change what happens IN turn 1.

GSKA (and WKA) place the cones as they are to make sure no passing happens before the start point. One less judgement call for the race director to make.

As far as starting at the start/finish... been there done that, it's all fine until someone about 3 rows back forgets what the left pedal is for... Laughing

DT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> 2 Cycle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: