| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
Good Bye, DrChip!
INPUT WANTED 4 Cycle Jrs.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Frazer
4 Cycle Director

Score: 1367

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank and I would like the weights for the Jr. classes to remain the same.
Hank would like to see the starting procedures changed. He thinks the start line should be moved back to the finish line and allow them to spread out before turn 1. No one can pass until after they cross the line! The flagman controls the start not the front row and there are consequences for violating the rules of the start. The violator moves to the back not an inversion of two rows.
lee33

Score: 1676

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: jr 4 cycle Reply with quote

To move the start to the finish line will definitely make turn 1 very dangerous as most of the boys head pell mell into the turn. A pile of wrecked karts and injured kids is sure to be a common occurrence. I respectfully disagree with this suggestion. There is just not enough good judgment in this class to safely start a race at the finish line.

Jason
John Frazer
4 Cycle Director

Score: 1367

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you that safety is a very important concern and should not be taken lightly. I am also aware that is the logic used to promote the slow start further down the track. But that has created a whole season of karts going for the same spot at the same time and karts in the rear thinking they have a right to it. The reality is this strategy has proven to be beneficial.
We try to teach our kids you can not win the race in turn 1 but the season has proven you usually can. More spots are gained or lost at the start.

The argument of speed seems like a dangerous ingredient to this mix.
But I think it will separate the pack and keep the rear of the pack from pushing at the start. Laps 2 through 16 are run at full speed and the drivers realize the need to check up and make it though.

This was implemented in Augusta with a long straight away and proved to work every time. Not once was there a turn1 incident on the first lap.

I know opinions will vary and safety on this issue must be at the top of the list. Hank and I will abide by the consensus but we think this will enhance the racing and save equipment and make qualifying mean something. This is our suggestion and we encourage calm rational debate
and disent in order to create the best racing enviroment.
John Wehrheim

Score: 33906

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have no junior driver racing, I believe the slower starts and current starting line is appropriate. I would not recommend moving the starting line to the finish line. Reason, it will increase the number of accidents and damage at the first corner. History has proved this many times at Barnesville and other tracks.
richie#89

Score: 8854

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

angus doesn't get to race down at b'ville anymore, but almost everywhere we race (and it's alot) the issue is to make turn #1 slow, not faster, by bringing the start line closer to turn #1.
many tracks are making the start at a totally different place. personally, i think if you want quick separation, then the start should be in the middle of the esses. and allow the pole sitter to set the pace.
but again personally, i think the kids learn the most when the start is slow and exactly where it was the last time we were there. they have to make quick decisions regarding #1, and that's always the way it is everywhere. angus gets super good starts almost all the time these days, and i attribute that to starting outside bailey harper in b'ville for most of his first year in karting. there's alot that can be learned from b'ville!
lee33

Score: 1676

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn 1 at augusta was not a hairpin as B'ville is therefore the comparison is without merit.

Thanks, Jason
Nick 00

Score: 273

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the starting line is perfect where it is and the pole sitter sets the pace. I didnt race there this year but when i did race in barnsville you guys didnt do much tech... I think you guys should do WAY more tech too. I know that was a problem when i raced clone. just my opinion.
Nick Lefferdo #00
www.NickLefferdo.com
Nick 00

Score: 273

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idk Richie you tell me what you think(; im just sayin theres gotta be something going on there. i mean come on me and skylar were struggling to do 25.8's and 9's but things may have changed with the rules idk. But skylars a WKA triple crown national champion i dont think you get any faster than that.

Yeah it will be i love Ocala and the competiton's great!! I wish i could be there also but the rotax isnt ready to be raced. whos going to be there?
Nick Lefferdo #00
www.NickLefferdo.com
Darrin Tebbe
Information Technology

Score: 28931

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick 00 wrote:
idk Richie you tell me what you think(; im just sayin theres gotta be something going on there. i mean come on me and skylar were struggling to do 25.8's and 9's but things may have changed with the rules idk. But skylars a WKA triple crown national champion i dont think you get any faster than that.

The CL1 cam came in for 2010 and picked pretty much everyone up .4 or so. Also put all the engines much closer together overall.

For a local series I think there was quite a bit of tech done in 2010. Frankly we did the best we could with the resources we had, and tried to check things that could really make a difference.

The classes overall got much more competitive, lots of new chassis, people trying new tires and tire/wheel combinations, and also buying tires more frequently. That also picked up the level of competition a great deal.

Bottom line is that if you come race in any of the GSKA clone classes you better be on top of your game. A $500 used chassis on old tires isn't going to get it done anymore.

DT
richie#89

Score: 8854

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm glad to hear it darrin. the clone class is good for karting. nick was probably running 25.8's cause he was paying too much attention to the butterflies and rainbows.
nick u'll never live that down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> 4 Cycle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: