| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
Good Bye, DrChip!
Spec KF....thoughts?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darrin Tebbe
Information Technology

Score: 28945

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wehrheim wrote:
Racing at any national level is expensive whether you are a father and son/daughter team or a big tent team. Just to be under a tent is a min. of $500 per weekend, unless something has changed since we were racing. In addition, in my opinion you would be rebuilding the top ends on the motors after every other race weekend. At $250 per motor, it gets expensive. If the rental is $350 per motor/per weekend, then this is a good deal. Even to rent a top level Rotax, you are looking at these numbers.

Did you remind Chris on the way home Saturday that he wasn't racing under the big tent Laughing

Oh, and the announcement said $350 PER DAY, so if you practiced on, say, Friday that would be $1050 for a 3 day race weekend.

DT
John Wehrheim

Score: 33906

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darrin Tebbe wrote:
John Wehrheim wrote:
Racing at any national level is expensive whether you are a father and son/daughter team or a big tent team. Just to be under a tent is a min. of $500 per weekend, unless something has changed since we were racing. In addition, in my opinion you would be rebuilding the top ends on the motors after every other race weekend. At $250 per motor, it gets expensive. If the rental is $350 per motor/per weekend, then this is a good deal. Even to rent a top level Rotax, you are looking at these numbers.

Did you remind Chris on the way home Saturday that he wasn't racing under the big tent Laughing

Oh, and the announcement said $350 PER DAY, so if you practiced on, say, Friday that would be $1050 for a 3 day race weekend.

LOL, yeah I told him that he that he was not racing at the nationals. I even told him before he went out to look out. Oh well, let's just say that this will be his last time he races my kart. $220 worth of damage.

If it is $350 a day, it will never happen, only in their dreams.

DT

clarence

Score: 8229

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I like working and tinkering with my engines. That's half the fun, if not 3/4. I've worked long and hard to get a fast and reliable engine combo and I am very thrilled with the results. That's what has drawn me to the shifter class. Now If I could just drive the thing.
richie#89

Score: 8854

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a side note, we're now doing the 'big tent' and (IMO) it's actually the most affordable way to race the big ones when you factor in all the benefits. we've done it on our own, and with a private tuner, and i don't think you can beat the big tent. we're even getting transportation included so we can fly in and out which is cheaper than paying for all the diesel it takes to pull my trailer. and meals are even provided! and of course you can't beat the support from a big tent that have alot of good (the best) drivers in your class and sharing info Very Happy
Brent Harper

Score: 4525

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told it was $350 per weekend. I spoke with J3 about the Rok Cup race on monday. Also, you don't have to rent their engines in order to race the series. It was only around $1400 dollars to rent an entire package for the weekend (chassis and all). That in NOT expensive. I leased some of my motors in the past for anywhere from $450 for a 3 day race weekend to $950 (shifter motor). That included NO rebuilds and the lessee payed for any and all damages. You guys are right... It is big time karting events, not the Regional or local deals. Two totally different animals..

CMC KARTS
Chuck McCue
Banned User

Score: 5102

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is $350 or $250 per day depending on your commitment. If rebuilds are included it is not a bad deal since these packages sell for $5k. Details for this series:

http://www.floridawintertour.com/news/48-2010/253-otk-usa-fwt-announce-details-of-spec-kf-program.html
Brent Harper

Score: 4525

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Chuck.. I agree, still don't think it is a bad deal for that level of competition.

CMC KARTS
shiftersteve

Score: 1947

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For national level racing, the cost doesnt sound totally off the charts. I'd have to see some sort of other incentive other than a free lease weekend for the Canadian championships to make it attractive. If it bought into a ladder program of sorts- Skip Barber or something with the Mazda series, I think it would offer more draw to potential younger customers looking for the next miraculous step to pro racing- which IMO is precisely what national level karting is for the younger well funded racers. As a veteran karter, and with the incentives offered, it has no appeal to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: