| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #9 Registration
2014-08-09 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
Mercedes driver Michael Schumacher says...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 46354

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Mercedes driver Michael Schumacher says... Reply with quote

From the BBC:

Mercedes driver Michael Schumacher says he is "absolutely confident" he will be able to return to competitiveness despite his poor start to the season.

The seven-time champion, back in F1 after a three-year retirement, insisted he was not discouraged by his inability to match team-mate Nico Rosberg so far.

"I didn't expect to come here and blast everyone away," Schumacher said ahead of this weekend's Spanish Grand Prix.

"It's a process - I'm totally confident it's going in the right direction."

Schumacher arrives in Spain on the back of the worst showing of his comeback.

ANDREW BENSON'S F1 BLOG
While many are wondering why one of the greatest racing drivers of all time is struggling on his comeback, most have so far largely been prepared to accept the explanations provided. But for how much longer?

After edging closer to Rosberg's pace over the first three races, Schumacher took a step backwards at the last grand prix in China.

He qualified more than 0.7 seconds slower than Rosberg and finished 10th, 50 seconds behind his team-mate, who was third.

But Schumacher believes that performance was an anomaly.

"In China certainly my performance wasn't good," he said, "and I think it stuck out there in particular whereas other races were on the right trend and I'm very optimistic that it will go in the right direction.

"I'm pretty quiet and relaxed about what is going on. I know the car does not perfectly suit me right now but it's a process and the process is going fine.

"It's like stock markets, they have a trend upwards, and then sometimes they have a reset. China was my reset and we'll see where it goes from there."

Schumacher's performance in Shanghai raised questions in some quarters about whether he was wise to return to F1 after such a long absence.

But he said he had no regrets about his decision.

"The main point is not to have a nice story in the media, or be criticised," he said.

Michael Schumacher

Schumacher frustrated after difficult race (UK users only)

"I came back because I'm enjoying it. Things will improve. It's just the pure joy I'm looking for.

"Naturally, the joy is higher if you win races, and in China I was very disappointed and angry at myself. But things will be different."

Schumacher has so far struggled to get the best from a car that does not suit his driving style, but Mercedes have introduced an upgrade for this weekend's race that should help him.

The 41-year-old prefers a car that changes direction quickly, but so far this year the Mercedes has suffered from understeer - when the driver struggles to get the front of the car to turn in.

Although the changes to the Mercedes - which include a longer wheelbase and improved aerodynamics - should make the car more to his liking, Schumacher was reluctant to say that they would automatically solve all his problems.

"Some like to see it as: now I have the car, and now I have to perform, and if not, then blah, blah, blah. I am less thinking this way," he said.

"It's going to be the first time working [with the car] this way, and only afterwards [will] we understand what is the positive and negative about it. I just feel very positive that we will follow the trend we saw in Malaysia and not in China."
Nico Rosberg
Team-mate Nico Rosberg has had a better season so far than Schumacher

Rosberg said he, too had been struggling with the Mercedes's inherent characteristics, adding: "All the changes are fundamental changes that will make the car go faster regardless of who drives it."

Mercedes are hopeful that the upgrade will enable them to close the gap on their rivals at the front - the team have so far been behind Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren on outright pace.

But all the teams have arrived in Spain with significant modifications to their cars and Schumacher said it remained to be seen where that would leave them.

"We obviously have a new update for the car that we feel quite good about," he said.

"Naturally, we should improve compared to the other teams if they stay where they are but we don't expect that so it will be interesting to see how much the other teams have been able to upgrade their car compared to ours."
Tyler Howard

Score: 166

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason i just have this feeling that schumacher is going to be the Brett Farve of Formula 1
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 46354

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys are racers: they get bored away from the track.

One NASCAR driver I knew from Hueytown (can't think of his name-will come to me-getting old!) Hurt his leg, retired, became a commentator for NASCAR races: could not resist, went back, rolled a car at Daytona, survived, then raced again and was killed: left a wife and 2 teenage kids, he had it made as a commentator, at the track, still hanging out, getting well paid, but could not resist being back in the game actually racing.

I think that about Jeff Gordon and Jimmy Johnson: young, young family, lots of dollars, make a great commentator/big company spokesman: but they are driven to race. Guys just can't quit, even when past their prime. c
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: